Re: [Czechlist] Re: kousat, rozkousat a sweet??

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
      On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 08:05 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

      > > On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:36 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:
      > >
      > > > but what about the difference between hard sweets (say 'Haslerky',
      > or
      > > > Rollos), that you crunch (kousat).. (and that your mother would
      > tell
      > > > you not
      > > > to 'kousat')
      > >
      > > We call those hard candy.
      >
      > Yeah, right, but do you crunch them or chew them???

      If you bear down on them with your teeth once, you are biting them. If
      you continue to masticate them, you are chewing them.

      > > > and soft(er) like Mentos, the rubber bears, whatever, that you chew
      > > > (zvykat)?? (that are supposed to be chewed)
      > >
      > > Gummi bears (that's what we call them here) and similar things are
      > > called chewy candy here.
      >
      > So you chew those, I suppose (no pun intended)

      Chewy candy is meant to be chewed, yes.

    • Jan Culka
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
        Nechroustej

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
          > > Thanks, didn't think of crunching

          'Crunching' is fine as an expressive description, but it's not AFAIK
          the standard term here. If repeated throughout the text, it would
          draw too much attention to itself.

          > Here you can only crunch things that are crunchy. You can crunch
          > potato chips, or crunch roasted chick peas sprinkled with chili
          > powder, as I did yesterday (a terrific Mexican snack from the gas
          > station). But for hard candy, we'd say bite.

          I find 'bite' odd, too. As Jamie said himself, it refers to a
          single action.

          As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
          chewing.

          Simon
        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
            > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
            > chewing.

            Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what about hard
            things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody stops "cucat" them and
            "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is it? Is crunch Ok here?

          • raesim
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
              > > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking
              > > and chewing.
              >
              > Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what
              > about hard things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody
              > stops "cucat" them and "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is
              > it? Is crunch Ok here?

              I think 'chew' covers the whole masticatory spectrum.

              Simon
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                On Saturday, October 2, 2004, at 01:23 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                > > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
                > > chewing.
                >
                > Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what about
                > hard
                > things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody stops "cucat" them
                > and
                > "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is it? Is crunch Ok here?

                Crunch is too slangy here for any type of business report. Besides,
                you can crunch something without it being in your mouth. You can
                crunch something up with a hammer or something, conceivably at least.
                I think your only alternatives here are "bite" and "chew". In my
                opinion, "rozkouse je" (if it's got "roz-") would be "bite them", but
                something meaning "rozkouse a drti je" would be "chew them". "Crunch"
                would have the same sound as writing "zvejkat" instead of "zvykat".

              • ing.Sárka Rubková
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                  I believe that to crunch can be translated as chroupat nebo chr^oupat nebo i
                  kr^oupat.

                  sarka