Re: [Czechlist] Re: kousat, rozkousat a sweet??

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
      > On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:36 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:
      >
      > > but what about the difference between hard sweets (say 'Haslerky', or
      > > Rollos), that you crunch (kousat).. (and that your mother would tell
      > > you not
      > > to 'kousat')
      >
      > We call those hard candy.

      Yeah, right, but do you crunch them or chew them???

      > > and soft(er) like Mentos, the rubber bears, whatever, that you chew
      > > (zvykat)?? (that are supposed to be chewed)
      >
      > Gummi bears (that's what we call them here) and similar things are
      > called chewy candy here.

      So you chew those, I suppose (no pun intended)

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
        On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 08:05 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

        > > On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:36 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:
        > >
        > > > but what about the difference between hard sweets (say 'Haslerky',
        > or
        > > > Rollos), that you crunch (kousat).. (and that your mother would
        > tell
        > > > you not
        > > > to 'kousat')
        > >
        > > We call those hard candy.
        >
        > Yeah, right, but do you crunch them or chew them???

        If you bear down on them with your teeth once, you are biting them. If
        you continue to masticate them, you are chewing them.

        > > > and soft(er) like Mentos, the rubber bears, whatever, that you chew
        > > > (zvykat)?? (that are supposed to be chewed)
        > >
        > > Gummi bears (that's what we call them here) and similar things are
        > > called chewy candy here.
        >
        > So you chew those, I suppose (no pun intended)

        Chewy candy is meant to be chewed, yes.

      • Jan Culka
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
          Nechroustej

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
            > > Thanks, didn't think of crunching

            'Crunching' is fine as an expressive description, but it's not AFAIK
            the standard term here. If repeated throughout the text, it would
            draw too much attention to itself.

            > Here you can only crunch things that are crunchy. You can crunch
            > potato chips, or crunch roasted chick peas sprinkled with chili
            > powder, as I did yesterday (a terrific Mexican snack from the gas
            > station). But for hard candy, we'd say bite.

            I find 'bite' odd, too. As Jamie said himself, it refers to a
            single action.

            As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
            chewing.

            Simon
          • Terminus Technicus
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
              > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
              > chewing.

              Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what about hard
              things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody stops "cucat" them and
              "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is it? Is crunch Ok here?

            • raesim
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                > > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking
                > > and chewing.
                >
                > Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what
                > about hard things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody
                > stops "cucat" them and "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is
                > it? Is crunch Ok here?

                I think 'chew' covers the whole masticatory spectrum.

                Simon
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                  On Saturday, October 2, 2004, at 01:23 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                  > > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
                  > > chewing.
                  >
                  > Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what about
                  > hard
                  > things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody stops "cucat" them
                  > and
                  > "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is it? Is crunch Ok here?

                  Crunch is too slangy here for any type of business report. Besides,
                  you can crunch something without it being in your mouth. You can
                  crunch something up with a hammer or something, conceivably at least.
                  I think your only alternatives here are "bite" and "chew". In my
                  opinion, "rozkouse je" (if it's got "roz-") would be "bite them", but
                  something meaning "rozkouse a drti je" would be "chew them". "Crunch"
                  would have the same sound as writing "zvejkat" instead of "zvykat".

                • ing.Sárka Rubková
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                    I believe that to crunch can be translated as chroupat nebo chr^oupat nebo i
                    kr^oupat.

                    sarka