Re: [Czechlist] Odkaslavani / obranyschopnost organismu

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi Petr,

      odkaslávaní - this IMHO means 'odkaslavani hlenu'. Millenium gives 'hawk' -
      but I would wait for a RMAJ's
      opinion.
      obranyschopnosti - to support your immunity/immune system. Keep it simple
      :-)

      hth

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
        On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:

        > the season of flu is back again and so do the producers of various
        > medicines
        > against it.
        >
        > The words above come from a leaflet about honey syrups
        >
        > "Proti nachlazení, k usnadnení odkaslávaní, na uklidnení, pro posílení
        > obranyschopnosti organizmu, and so on and on and on..."
        >
        > would "coughing up" be OK  for "odkaslavani" ?

        Use the medical term "expectorate".

        > and is it OK to use a general term for "obranyschopnost", i.e. defence
        > ability, or is it better to be more specific and say "defence
        > mechanisms"

        I hear "immune capability".

      • jsyeaton
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
          Or, strengthen the/your immune system.

          I agree on expectorate/expectorant.

          Jamie, maybe you could type up the product info on the next package of
          cough drops/syrup/ cold tablets etc. you pick up? This stuff is easy
          to recognize, hard to come up with spontaneously. I took the last
          Tylenol caplet from home a couple of days ago and just realized I
          should the empty file the container under "References, medical."

          Judy

          > On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:
          >
          > > the season of flu is back again and so do the producers of various
          > > medicines
          > > against it.
          > >
          > > The words above come from a leaflet about honey syrups
          > >
          > > "Proti nachlazení, k usnadnení odkaslávaní, na uklidnení, pro posílení
          > > obranyschopnosti organizmu, and so on and on and on..."
          > >
          > > would "coughing up" be OK for "odkaslavani" ?
          >
          > Use the medical term "expectorate".
          >
          > > and is it OK to use a general term for "obranyschopnost", i.e. defence
          > > ability, or is it better to be more specific and say "defence
          > > mechanisms"
          >
          > I hear "immune capability".

        • Petr Veselý
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
            Thanks, Helga, Jamie and Martin,

            right, expectorate is my word. The funny thing is that my dictionaries
            differentiate between "vykaslat" - offer only cough up, and "vykaslavat" =
            expectorate. Of course, being lazy, I typed just "vykaslat" :-(

            oki, I will use immune system for obranyschopnost so that army men searching
            for new weapons do not hurry up to buy loads of honey syrups :-)

            Petr

            On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:

            > the season of flu is back again and so do the producers of various
            > medicines
            > against it.
            >
            > The words above come from a leaflet about honey syrups
            >
            > "Proti nachlazení, k usnadnení odkaslávaní, na uklidnení, pro posílení
            > obranyschopnosti organizmu, and so on and on and on..."
            >
            > would "coughing up" be OK for "odkaslavani" ?

            Use the medical term "expectorate".

            > and is it OK to use a general term for "obranyschopnost", i.e. defence
            > ability, or is it better to be more specific and say "defence
            > mechanisms"

            I hear "immune capability".

            Czechlist resources:

            Obcasnik:
            http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz
            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
              On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 08:18 AM, jsyeaton wrote:

              > Jamie, maybe you could type up the product info on the next package of
              > cough drops/syrup/ cold tablets etc. you pick up?  This stuff is easy
              > to recognize, hard to come up with spontaneously.

              There's a goopy bottle of cough syrup downstairs. I'll try to remember
              to do it this weekend.