Re: kousat, rozkousat + AAAARGH

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus" <czechlist@t...> wrote:

      > Hmm, another thought.. OK, don't crunch them from mother to kids, but what
      > about "bonbony na kousani" as opposed to "bonbony na cucani"?
      >
      > (used as a semi-formal name for a category of sweets?)

      I had to mentally masticate this part of your question for a few minutes before I came up with my solution, which crossed in the post. For pills, lozenges, cough drops etc I'd expect something like "to be chewed", "may be chewed" or possibly even "chewable".

      > > If the kids are eating sweets noisily: 'Don't crunch! Oooh, it goes right
      > through me!' How would you say that in Czech?
      >
      > Say what - don't crunch'em?

      No, it goes right through me. The kind of thing you might say if somebody slowly drew a long fingernail down a piece of chalk.

      M.
    • Terminus Technicus
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
        > No, it goes right through me. The kind of thing you might say if somebody
        slowly drew a long fingernail down a piece of chalk.

        Brrr, mam z toho husi kuzi
        Brr, vstavaji mi z toho vlasy (nebo chlupy na zadech), zalezi na ochlupeni
        mluvciho

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
          On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:36 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

          > but what about the difference between hard sweets (say 'Haslerky', or
          > Rollos), that you crunch (kousat).. (and that your mother would tell
          > you not
          > to 'kousat')

          We call those hard candy.

          > and soft(er) like Mentos, the rubber bears, whatever, that you chew
          > (zvykat)?? (that are supposed to be chewed)

          Gummi bears (that's what we call them here) and similar things are
          called chewy candy here.

          I don't know what to call powdery candy that is meant to be bitten into
          (such as wintergreen lozenges) but is not chewy.

        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
            > On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:36 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:
            >
            > > but what about the difference between hard sweets (say 'Haslerky', or
            > > Rollos), that you crunch (kousat).. (and that your mother would tell
            > > you not
            > > to 'kousat')
            >
            > We call those hard candy.

            Yeah, right, but do you crunch them or chew them???

            > > and soft(er) like Mentos, the rubber bears, whatever, that you chew
            > > (zvykat)?? (that are supposed to be chewed)
            >
            > Gummi bears (that's what we call them here) and similar things are
            > called chewy candy here.

            So you chew those, I suppose (no pun intended)

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
              On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, melvyn.geo wrote:

              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus"
              > <czechlist@t...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hmm, another thought.. OK, don't crunch them from mother to kids,
              > but what
              > > about "bonbony na kousani" as opposed to "bonbony na cucani"?
              > >
              > > (used as a semi-formal name for a category of sweets?)
              >
              > I had to mentally masticate this part of your question for a few
              > minutes before I came up with my solution, which crossed in the post.
              > For pills, lozenges, cough drops etc I'd expect something like "to be
              > chewed", "may be chewed" or possibly even "chewable".

              "Chewable" is what you say about kids' medicine or vitamins here. If
              the client says "candy", it's almost a sure thing they call that candy
              "chewy".

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 08:05 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                > > On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:36 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:
                > >
                > > > but what about the difference between hard sweets (say 'Haslerky',
                > or
                > > > Rollos), that you crunch (kousat).. (and that your mother would
                > tell
                > > > you not
                > > > to 'kousat')
                > >
                > > We call those hard candy.
                >
                > Yeah, right, but do you crunch them or chew them???

                If you bear down on them with your teeth once, you are biting them. If
                you continue to masticate them, you are chewing them.

                > > > and soft(er) like Mentos, the rubber bears, whatever, that you chew
                > > > (zvykat)?? (that are supposed to be chewed)
                > >
                > > Gummi bears (that's what we call them here) and similar things are
                > > called chewy candy here.
                >
                > So you chew those, I suppose (no pun intended)

                Chewy candy is meant to be chewed, yes.

              • Jan Culka
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                  Nechroustej

                  > > Hmm, another thought.. OK, don't crunch them from mother to kids, but
                  what
                  > > about "bonbony na kousani" as opposed to "bonbony na cucani"?
                  > >
                  > > (used as a semi-formal name for a category of sweets?)
                  >
                  > I had to mentally masticate this part of your question for a few minutes
                  before I came up with my solution, which crossed in the post. For pills,
                  lozenges, cough drops etc I'd expect something like "to be chewed", "may be
                  chewed" or possibly even "chewable".

                  > > > If the kids are eating sweets noisily: 'Don't crunch! Oooh, it goes
                  right
                  > > through me!' How would you say that in Czech?
                  > >
                  > > Say what - don't crunch'em?
                  >
                  > No, it goes right through me. The kind of thing you might say if somebody
                  slowly drew a long fingernail down a piece of chalk.

                  > M.
                  >

                  > Czechlist resources:
                  >
                  > Obcasnik:
                  > http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • raesim
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                    > > Thanks, didn't think of crunching

                    'Crunching' is fine as an expressive description, but it's not AFAIK
                    the standard term here. If repeated throughout the text, it would
                    draw too much attention to itself.

                    > Here you can only crunch things that are crunchy. You can crunch
                    > potato chips, or crunch roasted chick peas sprinkled with chili
                    > powder, as I did yesterday (a terrific Mexican snack from the gas
                    > station). But for hard candy, we'd say bite.

                    I find 'bite' odd, too. As Jamie said himself, it refers to a
                    single action.

                    As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
                    chewing.

                    Simon
                  • Terminus Technicus
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                      > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
                      > chewing.

                      Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what about hard
                      things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody stops "cucat" them and
                      "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is it? Is crunch Ok here?

                    • raesim
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                        > > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking
                        > > and chewing.
                        >
                        > Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what
                        > about hard things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody
                        > stops "cucat" them and "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is
                        > it? Is crunch Ok here?

                        I think 'chew' covers the whole masticatory spectrum.

                        Simon
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                          On Saturday, October 2, 2004, at 01:23 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                          > > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
                          > > chewing.
                          >
                          > Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what about
                          > hard
                          > things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody stops "cucat" them
                          > and
                          > "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is it? Is crunch Ok here?

                          Crunch is too slangy here for any type of business report. Besides,
                          you can crunch something without it being in your mouth. You can
                          crunch something up with a hammer or something, conceivably at least.
                          I think your only alternatives here are "bite" and "chew". In my
                          opinion, "rozkouse je" (if it's got "roz-") would be "bite them", but
                          something meaning "rozkouse a drti je" would be "chew them". "Crunch"
                          would have the same sound as writing "zvejkat" instead of "zvykat".

                        • ing.Sárka Rubková
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                            I believe that to crunch can be translated as chroupat nebo chr^oupat nebo i
                            kr^oupat.

                            sarka