RE: [Czechlist] Odkaslavani / obranyschopnost organismu

  • Helga E. Humlova
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
      Petre,
      Nejsem R MAJ ale priznam se ze toto se mi nijak nelibi. Defense, mam takovy
      pocit, se pouziva jen v souvislosti ze zkutecnimi zbranemi.
      To "strenghten the immune system" nebo neco takoveho by mozna bylo lepsi.
      Dej do Googlu: < "honey syrup" cough > myslim, ze ten preklad pak muzes vice
      mene jen opsat ....
      H.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
        Hi Petr,

        odkaslávaní - this IMHO means 'odkaslavani hlenu'. Millenium gives 'hawk' -
        but I would wait for a RMAJ's
        opinion.
        obranyschopnosti - to support your immunity/immune system. Keep it simple
        :-)

        hth

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
          On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:

          > the season of flu is back again and so do the producers of various
          > medicines
          > against it.
          >
          > The words above come from a leaflet about honey syrups
          >
          > "Proti nachlazení, k usnadnení odkaslávaní, na uklidnení, pro posílení
          > obranyschopnosti organizmu, and so on and on and on..."
          >
          > would "coughing up" be OK  for "odkaslavani" ?

          Use the medical term "expectorate".

          > and is it OK to use a general term for "obranyschopnost", i.e. defence
          > ability, or is it better to be more specific and say "defence
          > mechanisms"

          I hear "immune capability".

        • jsyeaton
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
            Or, strengthen the/your immune system.

            I agree on expectorate/expectorant.

            Jamie, maybe you could type up the product info on the next package of
            cough drops/syrup/ cold tablets etc. you pick up? This stuff is easy
            to recognize, hard to come up with spontaneously. I took the last
            Tylenol caplet from home a couple of days ago and just realized I
            should the empty file the container under "References, medical."

            Judy

            > On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:
            >
            > > the season of flu is back again and so do the producers of various
            > > medicines
            > > against it.
            > >
            > > The words above come from a leaflet about honey syrups
            > >
            > > "Proti nachlazení, k usnadnení odkaslávaní, na uklidnení, pro posílení
            > > obranyschopnosti organizmu, and so on and on and on..."
            > >
            > > would "coughing up" be OK for "odkaslavani" ?
            >
            > Use the medical term "expectorate".
            >
            > > and is it OK to use a general term for "obranyschopnost", i.e. defence
            > > ability, or is it better to be more specific and say "defence
            > > mechanisms"
            >
            > I hear "immune capability".

          • Petr Veselý
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
              Thanks, Helga, Jamie and Martin,

              right, expectorate is my word. The funny thing is that my dictionaries
              differentiate between "vykaslat" - offer only cough up, and "vykaslavat" =
              expectorate. Of course, being lazy, I typed just "vykaslat" :-(

              oki, I will use immune system for obranyschopnost so that army men searching
              for new weapons do not hurry up to buy loads of honey syrups :-)

              Petr

              On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:

              > the season of flu is back again and so do the producers of various
              > medicines
              > against it.
              >
              > The words above come from a leaflet about honey syrups
              >
              > "Proti nachlazení, k usnadnení odkaslávaní, na uklidnení, pro posílení
              > obranyschopnosti organizmu, and so on and on and on..."
              >
              > would "coughing up" be OK for "odkaslavani" ?

              Use the medical term "expectorate".

              > and is it OK to use a general term for "obranyschopnost", i.e. defence
              > ability, or is it better to be more specific and say "defence
              > mechanisms"

              I hear "immune capability".

              Czechlist resources:

              Obcasnik:
              http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz
              Yahoo! Groups Links
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
                On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 08:18 AM, jsyeaton wrote:

                > Jamie, maybe you could type up the product info on the next package of
                > cough drops/syrup/ cold tablets etc. you pick up?  This stuff is easy
                > to recognize, hard to come up with spontaneously.

                There's a goopy bottle of cough syrup downstairs. I'll try to remember
                to do it this weekend.