Re: [Czechlist] Re: BrE vs. Am E - bonbony

    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 1, 2004
      On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 05:51 AM, melvyn.geo wrote:

      > In this day and age I'd say most adult Brits will understand perfectly
      > well and we do traditionally use the word for certain types of
      > products (e.g. cough candies).

      Which is funny, because we call those "cough drops".

      In North American English, the word "sweets" is used, however, it does
      not mean only candy, but is a general term for anything sweet that you
      put in your mouth. "Sweets" in North America include cake, pastries,
      soda pop and other diverse items. Calling Tic Tac "a sweet" would
      sound distinctly odd here, as if the information were meant for
      dentists or dietitians, not businessmen or consumers.

      So, if the Brits understand "candy" and sometimes use it, then I'd go
      with that word. And after all, why are you thinking about using the
      word "sweet" if you know the client calls it "candy"?

      You may run into some really serious trouble if you have to write about
      the candy the British call "gums". This would not be understood at all
      in North America, and people would wonder if you were talking about a
      part of the oral anatomy, or else think you were talking about a types
      of chewing gum. And there's no good word for them in NA English,
      except that they are all a type of "gum drop", but that's stretching
      things.

    • Martina Silpoch
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 5, 2004
        to add a little to this tasty conversation - we have several places
        in town selling frozen custard. Very delicious and fattening, tastes
        like thick, full bodied ice cream. That makes the idea that custard
        is eaten warm go out the window:)
        M.