[Czechlist] Odkaslavani / obranyschopnost organismu

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi folks,

      the season of flu is back again and so do the producers of various medicines
      against it.

      The words above come from a leaflet about honey syrups

      "Proti nachlazení, k usnadnení odkaslávaní, na uklidnení, pro posílení
      obranyschopnosti organizmu, and so on and on and on..."

      would "coughing up" be OK for "odkaslavani" ?

      and is it OK to use a general term for "obranyschopnost", i.e. defence
      ability, or is it better to be more specific and say "defence mechanisms"

      TIA Petr
    • Helga E. Humlova
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
        Petre,
        Nejsem R MAJ ale priznam se ze toto se mi nijak nelibi. Defense, mam takovy
        pocit, se pouziva jen v souvislosti ze zkutecnimi zbranemi.
        To "strenghten the immune system" nebo neco takoveho by mozna bylo lepsi.
        Dej do Googlu: < "honey syrup" cough > myslim, ze ten preklad pak muzes vice
        mene jen opsat ....
        H.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
          Hi Petr,

          odkaslávaní - this IMHO means 'odkaslavani hlenu'. Millenium gives 'hawk' -
          but I would wait for a RMAJ's
          opinion.
          obranyschopnosti - to support your immunity/immune system. Keep it simple
          :-)

          hth

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
            On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:

            > the season of flu is back again and so do the producers of various
            > medicines
            > against it.
            >
            > The words above come from a leaflet about honey syrups
            >
            > "Proti nachlazení, k usnadnení odkaslávaní, na uklidnení, pro posílení
            > obranyschopnosti organizmu, and so on and on and on..."
            >
            > would "coughing up" be OK  for "odkaslavani" ?

            Use the medical term "expectorate".

            > and is it OK to use a general term for "obranyschopnost", i.e. defence
            > ability, or is it better to be more specific and say "defence
            > mechanisms"

            I hear "immune capability".

          • jsyeaton
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
              Or, strengthen the/your immune system.

              I agree on expectorate/expectorant.

              Jamie, maybe you could type up the product info on the next package of
              cough drops/syrup/ cold tablets etc. you pick up? This stuff is easy
              to recognize, hard to come up with spontaneously. I took the last
              Tylenol caplet from home a couple of days ago and just realized I
              should the empty file the container under "References, medical."

              Judy

              > On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:
              >
              > > the season of flu is back again and so do the producers of various
              > > medicines
              > > against it.
              > >
              > > The words above come from a leaflet about honey syrups
              > >
              > > "Proti nachlazení, k usnadnení odkaslávaní, na uklidnení, pro posílení
              > > obranyschopnosti organizmu, and so on and on and on..."
              > >
              > > would "coughing up" be OK for "odkaslavani" ?
              >
              > Use the medical term "expectorate".
              >
              > > and is it OK to use a general term for "obranyschopnost", i.e. defence
              > > ability, or is it better to be more specific and say "defence
              > > mechanisms"
              >
              > I hear "immune capability".

            • Petr Veselý
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
                Thanks, Helga, Jamie and Martin,

                right, expectorate is my word. The funny thing is that my dictionaries
                differentiate between "vykaslat" - offer only cough up, and "vykaslavat" =
                expectorate. Of course, being lazy, I typed just "vykaslat" :-(

                oki, I will use immune system for obranyschopnost so that army men searching
                for new weapons do not hurry up to buy loads of honey syrups :-)

                Petr

                On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:

                > the season of flu is back again and so do the producers of various
                > medicines
                > against it.
                >
                > The words above come from a leaflet about honey syrups
                >
                > "Proti nachlazení, k usnadnení odkaslávaní, na uklidnení, pro posílení
                > obranyschopnosti organizmu, and so on and on and on..."
                >
                > would "coughing up" be OK for "odkaslavani" ?

                Use the medical term "expectorate".

                > and is it OK to use a general term for "obranyschopnost", i.e. defence
                > ability, or is it better to be more specific and say "defence
                > mechanisms"

                I hear "immune capability".

                Czechlist resources:

                Obcasnik:
                http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz
                Yahoo! Groups Links
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
                  On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 08:18 AM, jsyeaton wrote:

                  > Jamie, maybe you could type up the product info on the next package of
                  > cough drops/syrup/ cold tablets etc. you pick up?  This stuff is easy
                  > to recognize, hard to come up with spontaneously.

                  There's a goopy bottle of cough syrup downstairs. I'll try to remember
                  to do it this weekend.