Re: kousat, rozkousat a sweet??

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus" <czechlist@t...> wrote:

      > rozkousat bonbon
      > kousat bonbon
      > bonbony na kousani (as opposed to those 'na cucani')
      > Bonbony by se nemely kousat...

      Can't say I've ever come across a sweet that you are not officially allowed to chew. All sounds a bit anal retentive to me. Pills maybe, but not sweets. Still, 'chew' is the word I would go for in a formal context to contrast with 'suck', whereas 'crunch' is less formal and more expressive.

      M.
    • Terminus Technicus
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
        Hmm,

        but what about the difference between hard sweets (say 'Haslerky', or
        Rollos), that you crunch (kousat).. (and that your mother would tell you not
        to 'kousat')
        and soft(er) like Mentos, the rubber bears, whatever, that you chew
        (zvykat)?? (that are supposed to be chewed)

        I guess chewing has a broader base in ENG than zvykani in Czech, but the
        report sort of makes this distinction... BTW, it's not talking about "not
        being allowed to chew", but about sweets intended to be chewed/crunched and
        those intended to be sucked...

        I think chewing will do for the general category and crunching for when
        we're sure that it's a hard one and someone's trying to chip their teeth on
        it...

        Thanks Melvyn, have an M&M (or whatever your favorite is) and don't crunch
        on it if it's hard :)!

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus" <czechlist@t...> wrote:

          > Hmm, another thought.. OK, don't crunch them from mother to kids, but what
          > about "bonbony na kousani" as opposed to "bonbony na cucani"?
          >
          > (used as a semi-formal name for a category of sweets?)

          I had to mentally masticate this part of your question for a few minutes before I came up with my solution, which crossed in the post. For pills, lozenges, cough drops etc I'd expect something like "to be chewed", "may be chewed" or possibly even "chewable".

          > > If the kids are eating sweets noisily: 'Don't crunch! Oooh, it goes right
          > through me!' How would you say that in Czech?
          >
          > Say what - don't crunch'em?

          No, it goes right through me. The kind of thing you might say if somebody slowly drew a long fingernail down a piece of chalk.

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
            On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 06:02 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

            > Thanks again Dylan, sweets will do...
            >
            > Another interesting concept, not sure if I have the right word(s) for:
            >
            > rozkousat bonbon

            Bite into a piece of candy (or bite into candy).

            > kousat bonbon

            Bite a piece of candy (or bite candy).

            > bonbony na kousani (as opposed to those 'na cucani')

            chewy candy (as opposed to hard candy)

            > Bonbony by se nemely kousat...

            The candy should not be bitten...

            > What would and English mother say to their kids when they crack their
            > teeth
            > on a hard sweet?? (Nekousejte to!!!)

            My parents told me time and again, "Stop biting hard candy!" or, "Stop
            biting that!" I used to run into the bathroom and close the door when
            I was about 4, just so that I could bite hard candy without my parents
            knowing.

            I also have the unfortunate habit of biting ice cream. When I was
            about 25, a woman I worked with told me to stop it, explaining that the
            girl of my dreams could come past, see me biting my ice cream, deduce
            that I was in "insensitive male", and keep walking. I would never
            know, according to her, that I had missed my future spouse, just
            because I was biting my ice cream!

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
              On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 06:56 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

              > > If the kids are eating sweets noisily: 'Don't crunch! Oooh, it goes
              > right
              > through me!' How would you say that in Czech?
              >
              > Say what - don't crunch'em? Nekousejte je- do nich, nerozkousavejte je
              >
              > technically crunch is drtit, but you don't "drti" sweets with your
              > teeth...
              > you could "drtit" them in a hmozdir, though, or with a heavy object,
              > for
              > some weird purpose...
              >
              > Thanks, didn't think of crunching

              Here you can only crunch things that are crunchy. You can crunch
              potato chips, or crunch roasted chick peas sprinkled with chili powder,
              as I did yesterday (a terrific Mexican snack from the gas station).
              But for hard candy, we'd say bite.

            • Terminus Technicus
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                > No, it goes right through me. The kind of thing you might say if somebody
                slowly drew a long fingernail down a piece of chalk.

                Brrr, mam z toho husi kuzi
                Brr, vstavaji mi z toho vlasy (nebo chlupy na zadech), zalezi na ochlupeni
                mluvciho

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                  On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:36 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                  > but what about the difference between hard sweets (say 'Haslerky', or
                  > Rollos), that you crunch (kousat).. (and that your mother would tell
                  > you not
                  > to 'kousat')

                  We call those hard candy.

                  > and soft(er) like Mentos, the rubber bears, whatever, that you chew
                  > (zvykat)?? (that are supposed to be chewed)

                  Gummi bears (that's what we call them here) and similar things are
                  called chewy candy here.

                  I don't know what to call powdery candy that is meant to be bitten into
                  (such as wintergreen lozenges) but is not chewy.

                • Terminus Technicus
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                    > On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:36 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:
                    >
                    > > but what about the difference between hard sweets (say 'Haslerky', or
                    > > Rollos), that you crunch (kousat).. (and that your mother would tell
                    > > you not
                    > > to 'kousat')
                    >
                    > We call those hard candy.

                    Yeah, right, but do you crunch them or chew them???

                    > > and soft(er) like Mentos, the rubber bears, whatever, that you chew
                    > > (zvykat)?? (that are supposed to be chewed)
                    >
                    > Gummi bears (that's what we call them here) and similar things are
                    > called chewy candy here.

                    So you chew those, I suppose (no pun intended)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                      On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, melvyn.geo wrote:

                      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus"
                      > <czechlist@t...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hmm, another thought.. OK, don't crunch them from mother to kids,
                      > but what
                      > > about "bonbony na kousani" as opposed to "bonbony na cucani"?
                      > >
                      > > (used as a semi-formal name for a category of sweets?)
                      >
                      > I had to mentally masticate this part of your question for a few
                      > minutes before I came up with my solution, which crossed in the post.
                      > For pills, lozenges, cough drops etc I'd expect something like "to be
                      > chewed", "may be chewed" or possibly even "chewable".

                      "Chewable" is what you say about kids' medicine or vitamins here. If
                      the client says "candy", it's almost a sure thing they call that candy
                      "chewy".

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                        On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 08:05 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                        > > On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:36 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > but what about the difference between hard sweets (say 'Haslerky',
                        > or
                        > > > Rollos), that you crunch (kousat).. (and that your mother would
                        > tell
                        > > > you not
                        > > > to 'kousat')
                        > >
                        > > We call those hard candy.
                        >
                        > Yeah, right, but do you crunch them or chew them???

                        If you bear down on them with your teeth once, you are biting them. If
                        you continue to masticate them, you are chewing them.

                        > > > and soft(er) like Mentos, the rubber bears, whatever, that you chew
                        > > > (zvykat)?? (that are supposed to be chewed)
                        > >
                        > > Gummi bears (that's what we call them here) and similar things are
                        > > called chewy candy here.
                        >
                        > So you chew those, I suppose (no pun intended)

                        Chewy candy is meant to be chewed, yes.

                      • Jan Culka
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                          Nechroustej

                          > > Hmm, another thought.. OK, don't crunch them from mother to kids, but
                          what
                          > > about "bonbony na kousani" as opposed to "bonbony na cucani"?
                          > >
                          > > (used as a semi-formal name for a category of sweets?)
                          >
                          > I had to mentally masticate this part of your question for a few minutes
                          before I came up with my solution, which crossed in the post. For pills,
                          lozenges, cough drops etc I'd expect something like "to be chewed", "may be
                          chewed" or possibly even "chewable".

                          > > > If the kids are eating sweets noisily: 'Don't crunch! Oooh, it goes
                          right
                          > > through me!' How would you say that in Czech?
                          > >
                          > > Say what - don't crunch'em?
                          >
                          > No, it goes right through me. The kind of thing you might say if somebody
                          slowly drew a long fingernail down a piece of chalk.

                          > M.
                          >

                          > Czechlist resources:
                          >
                          > Obcasnik:
                          > http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • raesim
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                            > > Thanks, didn't think of crunching

                            'Crunching' is fine as an expressive description, but it's not AFAIK
                            the standard term here. If repeated throughout the text, it would
                            draw too much attention to itself.

                            > Here you can only crunch things that are crunchy. You can crunch
                            > potato chips, or crunch roasted chick peas sprinkled with chili
                            > powder, as I did yesterday (a terrific Mexican snack from the gas
                            > station). But for hard candy, we'd say bite.

                            I find 'bite' odd, too. As Jamie said himself, it refers to a
                            single action.

                            As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
                            chewing.

                            Simon
                          • Terminus Technicus
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                              > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
                              > chewing.

                              Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what about hard
                              things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody stops "cucat" them and
                              "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is it? Is crunch Ok here?

                            • raesim
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                                > > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking
                                > > and chewing.
                                >
                                > Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what
                                > about hard things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody
                                > stops "cucat" them and "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is
                                > it? Is crunch Ok here?

                                I think 'chew' covers the whole masticatory spectrum.

                                Simon
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                                  On Saturday, October 2, 2004, at 01:23 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                                  > > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
                                  > > chewing.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what about
                                  > hard
                                  > things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody stops "cucat" them
                                  > and
                                  > "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is it? Is crunch Ok here?

                                  Crunch is too slangy here for any type of business report. Besides,
                                  you can crunch something without it being in your mouth. You can
                                  crunch something up with a hammer or something, conceivably at least.
                                  I think your only alternatives here are "bite" and "chew". In my
                                  opinion, "rozkouse je" (if it's got "roz-") would be "bite them", but
                                  something meaning "rozkouse a drti je" would be "chew them". "Crunch"
                                  would have the same sound as writing "zvejkat" instead of "zvykat".

                                • ing.Sárka Rubková
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                                    I believe that to crunch can be translated as chroupat nebo chr^oupat nebo i
                                    kr^oupat.

                                    sarka

                                    > If the kids are eating sweets noisily: 'Don't crunch! Oooh, it goes right
                                    through me!' How would you say that in Czech?

                                    Say what - don't crunch'em? Nekousejte je- do nich, nerozkousavejte je

                                    technically crunch is drtit, but you don't "drti" sweets with your teeth...
                                    you could "drtit" them in a hmozdir, though, or with a heavy object, for
                                    some weird purpose...

                                    Thanks, didn't think of crunching

                                    Matej

                                    Czechlist resources: