Re: BrE vs. Am E - bonbony

    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 1, 2004
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus" <czechlist@t...> wrote:
      > Thanks, so Tic tacs could be referred to as sweets too?

      I think the great majority of Brits would refer to them as sweets and I'd agree with Dylan that FWIW this is perceived to be one of the traditional differences between BritEng and AmEng. However, call me a rootless cosmopolitan but personally I would not get too partisan about the word. I notice that quite a few European toothrot manufacturers refer to their products as 'candies' (Storck Campino: "the unique taste of fruit and cream in a candy"; Perfetti Alpenliebe: "moulded candies with cream and strawberries" in the (GB) [sic!] language section). In this day and age I'd say most adult Brits will understand perfectly well and we do traditionally use the word for certain types of products (e.g. cough candies).

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Martina Silpoch
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 5, 2004
        to add a little to this tasty conversation - we have several places
        in town selling frozen custard. Very delicious and fattening, tastes
        like thick, full bodied ice cream. That makes the idea that custard
        is eaten warm go out the window:)
        M.