Re: [Czechlist] BrE vs. Am E - bonbony

  • andeds@aol.com
    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 1, 2004
      "sweets" is the generic term in the UK, as in "sweet shop". "Candy" definitely has American associations - the first thing that comes to mind is the film title "Candyman".

      There are probably contexts where "candy" is used in UK English - "candied fruit" and that sort of thing, associated with cake-making. Can't think of any good examples just now.

      At the basic obvious level there's a clear UK/US distinction:
      sweets / candy.

      Dylan
    • Martina Silpoch
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 5, 2004
        to add a little to this tasty conversation - we have several places
        in town selling frozen custard. Very delicious and fattening, tastes
        like thick, full bodied ice cream. That makes the idea that custard
        is eaten warm go out the window:)
        M.