Re: [Czechlist] 3 + kk

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004

      > In the US, it means exactly what it says -- three bedrooms. It is
      > assumed the living room and kitchen are separate rooms, unless it says
      > otherwise.

      Thanks, Jamie, wasn't sure...

      A "flat" in what the Czechs like to call a "block of
      > flats" is an apartment in US lingo.

      yes, obviously, I was in BRE mood...

      > BTW, an apartment in which the living room and bedroom are the same
      > room, and the kitchenette is off to one side is called a studio
      > apartment in the US.

      Or just a studio, right? 'Garsonka/garsoniera' here

      > > is to leave the Czech thing (since it will be sold to clients living in
      > > Czecho and hopefully familiar with the czech system)

      > You will confuse everyone if you use the Czech system. They should
      > list what sorts of rooms the apartment really has instead of
      > confounding foreigners with that 3+1 weirdness. And the Czech system
      > doesn't even include the bathroom.

      We take bathroom as standard, I would think... unless there's more of them
      and then it gets mentioned, or it will say whether the bathroom is in a
      "jadro" or has been converted to brick one when the advert is for a panelak
      apartment...

      The trouble is that

      if I translate '3+1' as 'two bedroom',

      a) it won't take five minutes for someone from the developer's office to
      call back and say "but it has three rooms!!!" - they will think I'm taking
      one room away from them and their clients...
      b) say an Austrian familiar with the Czech system (come on, it's not THAT
      complicated) wants to buy from them, but they don't know about the ENG/US
      system, they might think it's a 2+1 too....

      it's a bit like counting floors/storeys in CZ vs. US, isn't it... one floor
      is always 'missing'

      Plus, how would you deal with the +kk bit, say a 3+kk, would you say two
      bedroom apartment with a kitchenette in the living room? That's not very NS
      either, if I'm not mistaken..

      Matej
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
        On Wednesday, September 29, 2004, at 08:56 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

        > > BTW, an apartment in which the living room and bedroom are the same
        > > room, and the kitchenette is off to one side is called a studio
        > > apartment in the US.
        >
        > Or just a studio, right? 'Garsonka/garsoniera' here

        Well, you have to be careful there. Normally yes, but there are some
        buildings whose units are actually live-in artists' studios -- a very
        different sort of space.

        > > > is to leave the Czech thing (since it will be sold to clients
        > living in
        > > > Czecho and hopefully familiar with the czech system)
        >
        > > You will confuse everyone if you use the Czech system.  They should
        > > list what sorts of rooms the apartment really has instead of
        > > confounding foreigners with that 3+1 weirdness.  And the Czech system
        > > doesn't even include the bathroom.
        >
        > We take bathroom as standard, I would think... unless there's more of
        > them
        > and then it gets mentioned, or it will say whether the bathroom is in a
        > "jadro" or has been converted to brick one when the advert is for a
        > panelak
        > apartment...

        Are we talking bathroom in the American sense, or without a toilet? I
        lived in one apartment that had a shared toilet down the hall.
        Americans assume a bathroom has a toilet in it.

        > The trouble is that
        >
        > if I translate '3+1' as 'two bedroom',
        >
        > a) it won't take five minutes for someone from the developer's office
        > call back and say "but it has three rooms!!!" - they will think I'm
        > taking
        > one room away from them and their clients...

        It's time for client education here. They need to know that the Czech
        system will confuse foreigners. You might have to say "living room,
        two bedrooms and kitchen". Or you could say "three rooms and kitchen".
        They can use any room they want for the living room. After all, some
        Czechs make the living room do double duty as a master bedroom.

        > b) say an Austrian familiar with the Czech system (come on, it's not
        > THAT
        > complicated)

        It is if no one has ever explained it to you. Just looking at the
        inzeraty doesn't make anything clear at all.

        > wants to buy from them, but they don't know about the ENG/US
        > system, they might think it's a 2+1 too....

        This will be the same guy who also puts a setkani ad in the newspaper
        in Euro-English calling himself "50-year-old Austrian boy".

        > it's a bit like counting floors/storeys in CZ vs. US, isn't it... one
        > floor
        > is always 'missing'

        I think you just have to go with words instead of numbers. If the
        system is confusing, you just have to use words.

        > Plus, how would you deal with the +kk bit, say a 3+kk, would you say
        > two
        > bedroom apartment with a kitchenette in the living room? That's not
        > very NS
        > either, if I'm not mistaken..

        How about "three rooms and kitchenette"?

      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
          I think you just have to go with words instead of numbers. If the
          system is confusing, you just have to use words.

          How about "three rooms and kitchenette"?

          Bith of those sound plausible, but that would be totally abandoning the idea
          of trying to say things the way a NS would say them - in this case the way
          they would appear in a real estate ad in US/UK... still, I guess it will
          mean no confusion...

          Thanks