Re: [Czechlist] THANKS: English Grammar Query - neco pro RMAJe

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2004
      On Friday, September 24, 2004, at 08:24 AM, Martin Janda wrote:

      > Thanks, guys! I was not sure about 'that' in those sentences - you
      > won't see
      > 'so that' too often, at least not in the texts I am dealing with every
      > day
      > :-).

      Actually, "so that" is very common, seeing as we don't have "aby".

      > Looks like the lady is a bit over-suspicious over her daugher's
      > teachers.
      > Well, I can understand that - after listening to the pronunciation of
      > some
      > English words *my* son has learnt from his teacher of English. ;-)

      Do any Czech teachers still teach kids to say "sweeter" for "sweater"?
      We eradicated that in Marianske Lazne, but I don't know if it's gone
      elsewhere. Some of the teachers claimed it was da Breetish Inklish.

      Do they still teach that "stranger" and "foreigner" are synonyms?

      Are they still teaching kids to say "Negro"?

      What about "usen't to"?

      And what about teaching hotel school students to walk to the restaurant
      table and ask, "What are your wishes?" (I wish for brotherhood among
      all nations. I wish for an end to world hunger...)