URGENT - sentence

  • Petr Jarolím
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 16, 2004
      Ahoj, uplne jsem se zasekla na teto vete. Poradi mi nekdo? Diky moc.
      Hanka . A je to moc, moc urgentni.

      Autorem vety je Belgican. Spolecnost ma hlavni pojistku a pro jeden
      projekt uzavrela dalsi pojistku. V duvodech pro uzavreni pojistky pise:

      This was necessary to enable all Project companies to be adjourned on
      the Policy for what concerns the higher risks (above 1,5 MEUR).
    • Terminus Technicus
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 16, 2004
        Myslim, ze tim mysli neco jako:

        Bylo to nutne proto, aby vsechny spolecnosti, ucastnici se na projektu, mely
        stejne pojisteni co se tyce vyssich rizik (nad 1.5 milionu EUR)...

        ... a doufam, ze se zase nedozvim, ze je to prilis formalni :)

        > Ahoj, uplne jsem se zasekla na teto vete. Poradi mi nekdo? Diky moc.
        > Hanka . A je to moc, moc urgentni.
        >
        > Autorem vety je Belgican. Spolecnost ma hlavni pojistku a pro jeden
        > projekt uzavrela dalsi pojistku. V duvodech pro uzavreni pojistky pise:
        >
        > This was necessary to enable all Project companies to be adjourned on
        > the Policy for what concerns the higher risks (above 1,5 MEUR).
        >

        > Czechlist resources:
        >
        > Obcasnik:
        > http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Petr Jarolím
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 16, 2004
          diky, Mateji, logicky to tak vypada, akorat ten vyraz "adjourn on" mi
          moc nesedi...
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 16, 2004
            On Thursday, September 16, 2004, at 04:48 AM, Petr Jarolím wrote:

            > Ahoj, uplne jsem se zasekla na teto vete. Poradi mi nekdo? Diky moc.
            > Hanka . A je to moc, moc urgentni.
            >
            > Autorem vety je Belgican. Spolecnost ma hlavni pojistku a pro jeden
            > projekt uzavrela dalsi pojistku. V duvodech pro uzavreni pojistky pise:
            >
            > This was necessary to enable all Project companies to be adjourned on
            > the Policy for what concerns the higher risks (above 1,5 MEUR).

            As a native English speaker, I absolutely cannot understand this
            sentence. "Adjourn" means to close a meeting or to change the venue of
            a meeting, so what the author is saying here is absolute nonsense. The
            French word "ajourner" means almost exactly the same thing as
            "adjourn", so I can't even guess from going to the French cognate
            either. That "for what concerns" is hard to understand also.

            I think a foreign speaker of English who understands Euro-English is
            your best bet in making sense of this sentence, because it doesn't make
            sense to this native speaker.

            Jamie
          • Petr Jarolím
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 16, 2004
              Thanks, Jamie, for your comment. I was trying to decipher that "adjourn
              on", but have found anything. BTW, the author is a Flemmish
              Brussels-based Young Urban Professional so interference from Flemmish
              and Euro-speak could be a reason.
              Hana
            • Mike Trittipo
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 16, 2004
                Petr Jarolím napsal(a):
                > Autorem vety je Belgican. Spolecnost ma hlavni pojistku a pro jeden
                > projekt uzavrela dalsi pojistku. V duvodech pro uzavreni pojistky pise:
                >
                > This was necessary to enable all Project companies to be adjourned on
                > the Policy for what concerns the higher risks (above 1,5 MEUR).

                It's not English. Presumably by "for what
                concerns" he meant "as to" or "in connection with"
                or something similar, and I'd guess that "the
                higher risks" is supposed to mean "higher coverage
                amounts" or "higher limits" (omitting the
                article). The biggest guess -- but it's not too
                far out -- is that "adjourned" is some weird
                Belglish speak for "brought up to date," via "made
                to be _a` jour_." Ridiculous, but that would be my
                first guess at meaning: "This was necessary in
                order for all Project companies to be brought
                current on the Policy as to higher coverage."

                But that's purely a guess. For all I really know,
                the guy means "taken of off" when he writes
                "adjourned on." If you have any context that
                indicates that all companies will, as a result,
                have higher coverage than they otherwise would
                have, e.g., because otherwise there'd be gaps in
                coverage, etc., go with the Belgian French "a`
                jour" idea. Otherwise, good luck! (I was trying
                to think of something with the French ajour,
                ažura, but nothing about cutting out windows or
                hemstiching or the like seems to fit. I suppose
                there's a possibility that the Belgian means
                something like "deferred" or "postponed," which
                would also fit a BelFrenglish "adjourned," i.e.,
                to mean that higher coverage was being postponed
                -- but that seems less likely. What a crapshoot!
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 16, 2004
                  On Friday, September 17, 2004, at 12:09 AM, Mike Trittipo wrote:

                  > The biggest guess -- but it's not too
                  > far out -- is that "adjourned" is some weird
                  > Belglish speak for "brought up to date," via "made
                  > to be _a` jour_." Ridiculous, but that would be my
                  > first guess at meaning: "This was necessary in
                  > order for all Project companies to be brought
                  > current on the Policy as to higher coverage."

                  Mike, you're a genius! The French term would be "mettre à jour". It
                  means to bring up to date. Perfect guess!

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 17, 2004
                    Is there a word in Czech "kartace" (without diacritics), as distinct
                    from "kartac^e"?

                    I've got it in a document, but I can't find it anywhere. ANYWHERE.

                    Thanks.

                    Jamie
                  • Helga E. Humlova
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 17, 2004
                      Hi Jamie,

                      Are you talking about brushing only or could it be a typo for "skartace"
                      (reliable liquidation of documents).

                      Helga

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 17, 2004
                        Thanks for answering so fast.

                        They're talking about "kartace" that are placed on or near someone (I
                        assume someone's body). I assume they may be probes for some
                        diagnostic device. There's no context to determine it, other than that
                        they want to know who much pain is felt when the "kartace" are placed
                        somewhere.

                        Jamie

                        On Friday, September 17, 2004, at 08:22 AM, Helga E. Humlova wrote:

                        > Hi Jamie,
                        >
                        > Are you talking about brushing only or could it be a typo for
                        > "skartace"
                        > (reliable liquidation of documents).
                        >
                        > Helga

                        <image.tiff>

                        <image.tiff>

                        > �
                        > �

                      • Terminus Technicus
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 17, 2004
                          No kartace I'm aware of, typo for karta'c^e or anything else possible...

                          They're talking about "kartace" that are placed on or near someone (I
                          assume someone's body). I assume they may be probes for some
                          diagnostic device. There's no context to determine it, other than that
                          they want to know who much pain is felt when the "kartace" are placed
                          somewhere.

                          Jamie

                          On Friday, September 17, 2004, at 08:22 AM, Helga E. Humlova wrote:

                          > Hi Jamie,
                          >
                          > Are you talking about brushing only or could it be a typo for
                          > "skartace"
                          > (reliable liquidation of documents).
                          >
                          > Helga

                          <image.tiff>

                          <image.tiff>

                          Czechlist resources:

                          Obcasnik:
                          http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz
                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 17, 2004
                            Never heard about it - are u sure the ext chars are not stripped? There
                            might be some quite easily - some probes called kart'a^ce as well. Could you
                            share whatever context you have?

                            They're talking about "kartace" that are placed on or near someone (I
                            assume someone's body). I assume they may be probes for some
                            diagnostic device. There's no context to determine it, other than that
                            they want to know who much pain is felt when the "kartace" are placed
                            somewhere.

                            Jamie

                            On Friday, September 17, 2004, at 08:22 AM, Helga E. Humlova wrote:

                            > Hi Jamie,
                            >
                            > Are you talking about brushing only or could it be a typo for
                            > "skartace"
                            > (reliable liquidation of documents).
                            >
                            > Helga

                            <image.tiff>

                            <image.tiff>

                            Czechlist resources:

                            Obcasnik:
                            http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz
                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 17, 2004
                              That's what I thought. Thank you.

                              Jamie

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 17, 2004
                                On Friday, September 17, 2004, at 08:43 AM, Martin Janda wrote:

                                > Never heard about it - are u sure the ext chars are not stripped? There
                                > might be some quite easily - some probes called kart'a^ce as well.
                                > Could you
                                > share whatever context you have?

                                They're asking about the intensity of someone's pain when the "kartace"
                                are applied.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 17, 2004
                                  Mmmm. - might be some kind of electric brushes, but they very likely should
                                  include hacky and carky

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 17, 2004
                                    On Friday, September 17, 2004, at 09:43 AM, Martin Janda wrote:

                                    > Mmmm. - might be some kind of electric brushes, but they very likely
                                    > should
                                    > include hacky and carky

                                    I think it should. I've now noticed that this person types all-caps
                                    without any diacritics.

                                    Thanks for your confirmation, everybody.