Re: putting you over the spot

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2004
      > On Thursday, September 9, 2004, at 03:34 AM, Dominik Lukes wrote:
      >
      > > 1. Don't overextend yourself.
      >
      > This means either, "Don't take on more work responsibility than you can handle,"

      Could we say something like 'neprekracujte meze svych moznosti/sil/zdroju' or simply 'neprekracujte sve meze'??

      >or, "Don't take on more debt than you can pay back."

      I see Millennium suggests: 'Firma si vypujcila vice penez nez kolik cini jeji aktiva' for 'The company overextended itself'.

      Can anybody improve on that?

      > > 2. He was sitting over the spot.
      >
      > With no context, this is very hard to understand.

      It does sound a bit odd. If John cannot see the spot because he has actually parked his backside on it then 'over' is not the first preposition that would spring to my mind, I'd just say he was sitting ON the spot. Still, I suppose 'over' might be chosen to emphasize the fact that he was covering it.

      > > 3. Sam was passed over for promotion.
      >
      > This means, "They didn't promote Sam when it was his turn, but they
      > promoted someone else instead."

      Right. Marks out of ten, please, for: 'Kdyz slo o povyseni preskocili Sama'.

      > > 4. I overrate.
      >
      > I agree with Dylan. This sentence doesn't sound like correct English.

      > Either they meant, "I overate" (Prejedl jsem se), or, "I am overrated,"
      > (Jsem preceneny).

      Nice ideas. Overrating without a direct object does sound pretty unusual. Still, I reckon that if I am paid to rate things too highly (e.g. for an auction catalogue) and somebody then asks me what I do for a living, I could just conceivably say with tongue very much in cheek: 'I overrate'. No?

      So how about 'precenuji'?

      BR

      Melvyn
    • janvanek
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 10, 2004

        wrote:

        > > On Thursday, September 9, 2004, at 03:34 AM, Dominik Lukes wrote:
        > >
        > > > 1. Don't overextend yourself.
        > >
        > > This means either, "Don't take on more work responsibility than
        you can handle,"

        > Could we say something like 'neprekracujte meze svych
        moznosti/sil/zdroju' or simply 'neprekracujte sve meze'??

        I might try something more wildly idiomatic - "neukusuj si vic, nez
        muzes spolknout" or something such, or more literally "neber si vic
        prace, nez zvladnes", "neprehanej to" (with "to" clear from the
        context, or just "tolik tu rachotu nezer" :-)
        Neprekracujte sve meze - I don't know, is it just me or does it sound
        like a devil of laziness tempting somebody not to try exceeding
        zirself?

        > >or, "Don't take on more debt than you can pay back."
        >
        > I see Millennium suggests: 'Firma si vypujcila vice penez nez kolik
        cini jeji aktiva' for 'The company overextended itself'.

        > Can anybody improve on that?

        Ekonomika se muze prehrat, ale tezko by se to dalo pouzit pro
        jednotlivou firmu. Firma se neuvazene zadluzila? Myslim, ze kdyz to
        udela, je potom *predluzena*.

        > > > 3. Sam was passed over for promotion.
        >
        > Right. Marks out of ten, please, for: 'Kdyz slo o povyseni
        preskocili Sama'.

        About 7. I'd say simply "Pri povysovani (usually it comes in regular
        batches and rounds, doesn't it? at least I gather so from an
        occasional glimpse of the Zamestnani supplement in newspapers) Sama
        preskocili".

        > > > 4. I overrate.
        >
        > Overrating without a direct object does sound pretty unusual.
        > Still, I reckon that if I am paid to rate things too highly (e.g.
        for an auction catalogue) and somebody then asks me what I do for a
        living, I could just conceivably say with tongue very much in
        cheek: 'I overrate'. No?
        > So how about 'precenuji'?

        Yes, I could imagine (though somewhat strainedly) saying "In my view
        Kamenak is the greatest thing since the invention of celluloid, but
        you know me - I (tend to) overrate". But I guess in Czech one would
        either say "prehanim" or, if using "precenovat", some more
        complicated phrase than just 1st person sg, to explain the unusual
        use in this sense. I think that precenovat or dokonave precenit is
        more often used in the sense of re-price, i. e. put new price tags on
        goods e. g. after tax change.

        (It's not so long ago that I discovered that in the antiquarian
        slang, there's also "cenit" as nedokonave from ocenit: "Sef je vzadu
        a ceni", not zuby but a big batch of newly bought books where prices
        have to be determined and written inside).

        --
        Jan Vanek jr.
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10, 2004
          On Friday, September 10, 2004, at 07:21 AM, janvanek wrote:

          > > > This means either, "Don't take on more work responsibility than
          > you can handle,"
          > >
          > > Could we say something like 'neprekracujte meze svych
          > moznosti/sil/zdroju' or simply 'neprekracujte sve meze'??
          >
          > I might try something more wildly idiomatic - "neukusuj si vic, nez
          > muzes spolknout"

          That is the exact equivalent of the English expression, "Don't bite off
          more than you can chew." But that expression is not the equivalent of,
          "Don't over extend yourself."