Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM:THANKS coach/bus, NEW tiny

  • Hana Viansová
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
      Hi Simon, I THOUGHT it was strange that you seemed to react to something in
      your message - problem is that I never got Jamie´s original message. I tried
      checking Czechlist Archive but to no avail (which is probable due to my poor
      PC skills). If it´s easily available, could you possibly forward it to me?
      Thanks a million, AND thanks for the lesson in punctuation marks:-)
      Hanka
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
        On Monday, September 6, 2004, at 03:00 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

        > And another thing - one of my students says that his American friends
        > correct his pronunciation of the word TINY. He pronounces it TAI (as
        > in why)
        > while they say it should be TEENI. As far as I can recall, I´ve always
        > heard
        > people say it the first way. Is either way possible? Is it perhaps a
        > local
        > thing somewere?

        What, you didn't believe me the first time?! As I said in my original
        e-mail on "coach-bus", there is something seriously wrong with those
        Americans. Your student is pronouncing "tiny" correctly, [taini].
        "Teeny" [ti:ni] is a different word. It is informal, and it means
        something smaller than tiny. It's not a local thing. Your student's
        American friends are ignorant.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
          On Monday, September 6, 2004, at 05:59 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

          > Hi Simon, I THOUGHT it was strange that you seemed to react to
          > something in
          > your message - problem is that I never got Jamie´s original message. I
          > tried
          > checking Czechlist Archive but to no avail (which is probable due to
          > my poor
          > PC skills). If it´s easily available, could you possibly forward it to
          > me?
          > Thanks a million, AND thanks for the lesson in punctuation marks:-)

          Here it is:

          On September 5, Jamie rout:

          > Either your student's American friends are playing with him, or the
          > level of ignorance and illiteracy of American youth has reached
          > proportions more staggering than I've ever imagined it could.
          >
          > "Tiny" and "teeny" are two different words. You student is
          > pronouncing "tiny" correctly. It's [taini]. The word "teeny" is
          > informal, is pronounced [ti:ni], and indicates that something is even
          > smaller than tiny. I think this applies on both sides of the ocean.
          > If the Americans are really serious, they are very, very ignorant.
          >
          > Last week an American community college student of mine in a remedial
          > writing class (she went to inner city schools) wrote a paragraph
          > titled "The Boldest Job I Ever Had". "Bold", as was explained to me
          > by another student, nowadays means in her neighborhood "bad" or
          > "terrible". When I told her the real meaning of "bold" was "brave" or
          > "courageous", she was completely surprised and didn't quite trust what
          > I was telling her. I'm not even sure she knew what "courageous" > meant.

        • Hana Viansová
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
            Hi Jamie,
            as you probably figured out by now, I somehow never got your first message.
            Thanks for forwarding it, and thanks for the explanation.
            As to your "courageous" student, I have a funny story, too: When I was
            working at a summer camp in upstate NY years ago, many of the campers didn´t
            believe that what I was writing were letters home - there was no "dear" at
            the top! :-)
            Hanka
          • raesim
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hana Viansová <bebeebeee@s...>
              wrote:
              > Hi Simon, I THOUGHT it was strange that you seemed to react to
              > something in your message - problem is that I never got Jamie´s
              > original message. I tried checking Czechlist Archive but to no
              > avail (which is probable due to my poor PC skills). If it´s easily
              > available, could you possibly forward it to me?

              I see Jamie's beaten me to it.

              > Thanks a million, AND thanks for the lesson in punctuation marks:-)

              You were unlucky to be singled out for correction when it's such a
              common mistake, especially considering your English is so good.

              Simon