Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM:THANKS coach/bus, NEW tiny

  • Hana Viansová
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
      Thanks very much to all who replied. Could you also help me with the other
      expression (or more specifically, its pronunciation)? I´ll copy what I said
      yesterday:

      And another thing - one of my students says that his American friends
      correct his pronunciation of the word TINY. He pronounces it TAI (as in why)
      while they say it should be TEENI. As far as I can recall, I´ve always heard
      people say it the first way. Is either way possible? Is it perhaps a local
      thing somewere?

      Thanks again
      Hanka
    • raesim
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hana Viansová <bebeebeee@s...>
        wrote:
        > Thanks very much to all who replied. Could you also help me with
        > the other expression (or more specifically, its pronunciation)?
        > I´ll copy what I said yesterday:
        >
        > And another thing - one of my students says that his American
        > friends correct his pronunciation of the word TINY. He pronounces
        > it TAI (as in why) while they say it should be TEENI. As far as I
        > can recall, I´ve always heard people say it the first way. Is
        > either way possible? Is it perhaps a local thing somewere?

        Jamie dealt with this in his original message.

        Simon
      • Hana Viansová
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
          Hi Simon, I THOUGHT it was strange that you seemed to react to something in
          your message - problem is that I never got Jamie´s original message. I tried
          checking Czechlist Archive but to no avail (which is probable due to my poor
          PC skills). If it´s easily available, could you possibly forward it to me?
          Thanks a million, AND thanks for the lesson in punctuation marks:-)
          Hanka
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
            On Monday, September 6, 2004, at 03:00 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

            > And another thing - one of my students says that his American friends
            > correct his pronunciation of the word TINY. He pronounces it TAI (as
            > in why)
            > while they say it should be TEENI. As far as I can recall, I´ve always
            > heard
            > people say it the first way. Is either way possible? Is it perhaps a
            > local
            > thing somewere?

            What, you didn't believe me the first time?! As I said in my original
            e-mail on "coach-bus", there is something seriously wrong with those
            Americans. Your student is pronouncing "tiny" correctly, [taini].
            "Teeny" [ti:ni] is a different word. It is informal, and it means
            something smaller than tiny. It's not a local thing. Your student's
            American friends are ignorant.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
              On Monday, September 6, 2004, at 05:59 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

              > Hi Simon, I THOUGHT it was strange that you seemed to react to
              > something in
              > your message - problem is that I never got Jamie´s original message. I
              > tried
              > checking Czechlist Archive but to no avail (which is probable due to
              > my poor
              > PC skills). If it´s easily available, could you possibly forward it to
              > me?
              > Thanks a million, AND thanks for the lesson in punctuation marks:-)

              Here it is:

              On September 5, Jamie rout:

              > Either your student's American friends are playing with him, or the
              > level of ignorance and illiteracy of American youth has reached
              > proportions more staggering than I've ever imagined it could.
              >
              > "Tiny" and "teeny" are two different words. You student is
              > pronouncing "tiny" correctly. It's [taini]. The word "teeny" is
              > informal, is pronounced [ti:ni], and indicates that something is even
              > smaller than tiny. I think this applies on both sides of the ocean.
              > If the Americans are really serious, they are very, very ignorant.
              >
              > Last week an American community college student of mine in a remedial
              > writing class (she went to inner city schools) wrote a paragraph
              > titled "The Boldest Job I Ever Had". "Bold", as was explained to me
              > by another student, nowadays means in her neighborhood "bad" or
              > "terrible". When I told her the real meaning of "bold" was "brave" or
              > "courageous", she was completely surprised and didn't quite trust what
              > I was telling her. I'm not even sure she knew what "courageous" > meant.

            • Hana Viansová
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
                Hi Jamie,
                as you probably figured out by now, I somehow never got your first message.
                Thanks for forwarding it, and thanks for the explanation.
                As to your "courageous" student, I have a funny story, too: When I was
                working at a summer camp in upstate NY years ago, many of the campers didn´t
                believe that what I was writing were letters home - there was no "dear" at
                the top! :-)
                Hanka
              • raesim
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
                  wrote:
                  > Hi Simon, I THOUGHT it was strange that you seemed to react to
                  > something in your message - problem is that I never got Jamie´s
                  > original message. I tried checking Czechlist Archive but to no
                  > avail (which is probable due to my poor PC skills). If it´s easily
                  > available, could you possibly forward it to me?

                  I see Jamie's beaten me to it.

                  > Thanks a million, AND thanks for the lesson in punctuation marks:-)

                  You were unlucky to be singled out for correction when it's such a
                  common mistake, especially considering your English is so good.

                  Simon