Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM:coach-bus

Expand Messages
  • James Kirchner
    ... Right. Which is what leads some American companies to call their vehicles motor coaches , rather than chartered buses. ... Right. The Slovak firm SAD
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5 4:45 PM
    • 0 Attachment
      On Sunday, September 5, 2004, at 06:44 PM, raesim wrote:

      > A bus and a coach, though, aren't merely
      > the same vehicle employed for different purposes: a coach
      > is 'classier' -- it's higher off the ground (though not usually a
      > double-decker), since it needs room for storing luggage under the
      > seats, it's more comfortable, and it's usually sleeker. 

      Right. Which is what leads some American companies to call their
      vehicles "motor coaches", rather than chartered buses.

      > You have the distinction in the Czech Republic, even if you don't make
      > it in
      > the Czech language: compare the monsters that stop on Resslova in
      > Prague to drop tourists off for U Fleku

      Right. The Slovak firm SAD Tourist has coaches. Commuters ride buses.

      > This example calls to mind another possible
      > distinction between coaches and buses, namely that the former are
      > often chartered, the latter normally scheduled.  But this isn't a
      > necessary distinction: scheduled services from London to other big
      > cities in the UK will use coaches; and chartered buses not coaches
      > take children to school.

      Right. The buses that take kids on field trips are chartered buses.
      Definitely not coaches.

      > BTW, in English we use a slash not a hyphen to separate
      > alternatives.  So, in your example: 'coach/bus'.  This isn't just
      > academic: for a moment you had me thinking you wanted help
      > understanding what some hybrid called a 'coach-bus' was.

      I have some students from other countries that signed up for courses
      under the designation in the school catalogue "chef/cook", so they tell
      me they plan to be "shef-kook".

      Jamie


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • raesim
      ... Yes, I was going to use the example of field trips, but then it occurred to me that the buses that take children to school are actually chartered too. At
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6 2:22 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>
        wrote:
        >
        > On Sunday, September 5, 2004, at 06:44 PM, raesim wrote:
        >
        > > and chartered buses not coaches
        > > take children to school.
        >
        > Right. The buses that take kids on field trips are chartered
        > buses. Definitely not coaches.

        Yes, I was going to use the example of field trips, but then it
        occurred to me that the buses that take children to school are
        actually chartered too. At least in the UK -- in the States, I
        assume, they're publicly owned (or they wouldn't all be painted
        yellow).

        Simon
      • James Kirchner
        ... Sometimes they re owned by the local school system, and sometimes they re owned by a transportation company that the school system contracts with. They
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6 3:32 AM
        • 0 Attachment
          On Monday, September 6, 2004, at 05:22 AM, raesim wrote:

          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > On Sunday, September 5, 2004, at 06:44 PM, raesim wrote:
          > >
          > > > and chartered buses not coaches
          > > > take children to school.
          > >
          > > Right.  The buses that take kids on field trips are chartered
          > > buses.  Definitely not coaches.
          >
          > Yes, I was going to use the example of field trips, but then it
          > occurred to me that the buses that take children to school are
          > actually chartered too.  At least in the UK -- in the States, I
          > assume, they're publicly owned (or they wouldn't all be painted
          > yellow).

          Sometimes they're owned by the local school system, and sometimes
          they're owned by a transportation company that the school system
          contracts with. They are less comfortable than even municipal buses
          are. You have never felt a rougher suspension than on one of those
          yellow school buses.

          Jamie


          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.