Re: [Czechlist] a film glossary

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2004
      On Sunday, September 5, 2004, at 06:51 AM, andeds@... wrote:

      > Footnote to "sync" and all that:
      >
      > This is the best (English monolingual) glossary of film terminology
      > that I've found:
      > http://homepage.newschool.edu/~schlemoj/film_courses/
      > glossary_of_film_terms/glossary_index.html
      >
      > Obviously this is about film and not specifically TV.

      But it's a really excellent resource.

      > I don't like to jump to conclusions about this sort of thing, Jamie,
      > but synchron certainly reminded me of sync.

      Right. Me too. But it sounded to me as if the Czechs had changed or
      extended the meaning (just as "leasing" doesn't always mean leasing in
      Czech). I still think it was a safe bet that they were using
      "synchron" to mean one piece of voiceover. That's what it sounded
      like, anyway. It didn't sound like it meant "sync" in our sense.

    • coilinoc
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2004
        Thanks to Jamie and Dylan for their suggestions regarding the Czech
        TV terms.
        FWIW, I have submitted the job but queried these two terms.
        Hopefully, they'll get back to me and let me know what the story is.

        Best regards
        Coilin