a film glossary

  • andeds@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2004
      Footnote to "sync" and all that:

      This is the best (English monolingual) glossary of film terminology that I've found:
      http://homepage.newschool.edu/~schlemoj/film_courses/glossary_of_film_terms/glossary_index.html

      Obviously this is about film and not specifically TV.

      I don't like to jump to conclusions about this sort of thing, Jamie, but synchron certainly reminded me of sync.

      Isn't there anyone with knowledge of Czech TV speak out there?

      Dylan
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2004
        On Sunday, September 5, 2004, at 06:51 AM, andeds@... wrote:

        > Footnote to "sync" and all that:
        >
        > This is the best (English monolingual) glossary of film terminology
        > that I've found:
        > http://homepage.newschool.edu/~schlemoj/film_courses/
        > glossary_of_film_terms/glossary_index.html
        >
        > Obviously this is about film and not specifically TV.

        But it's a really excellent resource.

        > I don't like to jump to conclusions about this sort of thing, Jamie,
        > but synchron certainly reminded me of sync.

        Right. Me too. But it sounded to me as if the Czechs had changed or
        extended the meaning (just as "leasing" doesn't always mean leasing in
        Czech). I still think it was a safe bet that they were using
        "synchron" to mean one piece of voiceover. That's what it sounded
        like, anyway. It didn't sound like it meant "sync" in our sense.

      • coilinoc
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2004
          Thanks to Jamie and Dylan for their suggestions regarding the Czech
          TV terms.
          FWIW, I have submitted the job but queried these two terms.
          Hopefully, they'll get back to me and let me know what the story is.

          Best regards
          Coilin