Author Royalties- a Money Question

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2004
      Hi folks,

      Anybody experienced in contracts Czech writers set up with publishers? A friend of mine, searching for evidence for his divorce trial (Ouch!) needs to find out how much - roughly - a well-reputed writer and the well-reputed guy drawing pictures can get for a book - I mean, 2%, 20%, or 50% of the book's retail price?

      TIA

    • janvanek
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2004
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...>
        wrote:

        > Anybody experienced in contracts Czech writers set up with
        publishers? A friend of mine, searching for evidence for his divorce
        trial (Ouch!) needs to find out how much - roughly - a well-reputed
        writer and the well-reputed guy drawing pictures can get for a book -
        I mean, 2%, 20%, or 50% of the book's retail price?

        Last October Viewegh bragged to have 18 %:

        http://revue.idnes.cz/lidicky.asp?
        r=lidicky&c=2003MM44A14A&t=2003MM44A14A&r2=lidicky

        Hard to say how much it drops for lesser luminaries; there was an
        article a couple years ago in Magazin Lidovych novin IIRC about how
        much of the cover price goes to whom but it is not available any more
        and it didn't seem especially trustworthy anyway. Still, I suppose
        that 10 to 15 % is a safe guess in case of somebody who sells in
        thousands. Wait, apparently Alltheweb is really better than Google:
        http://zpravy.idnes.cz/literatura.asp?
        r=literatura&c=A030403_124805_literatura_lf&t=A030403_124805_literatur
        a_lf&r2=literatura
        gives 15 % for Zdena Frybova, while poor bestselling Petra Hulova was
        ripped off to half of that (though you have to calculate it from the
        grand-sounding sum) - but I hear that Torst isn't especially, um,
        _good_ publisher if you happen to be an author.

        No idea about illustrators.

        --
        Jan Vanek jr.
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2004
          Thanks, Honza! Did not know they get that much - but I guess the ordinary
          rate is a great bit lower.
          The friend will be delighted - there is probably more money to squeeze out.
          :-)