Re: [Czechlist] Help: TV Speak

  • andeds@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
      Coming back to "sync shot":
      na prvni synchron s Janou

      This is what gave me the idea that it's a shot of someone being interviewed, with (presumably) the sound synchronised to the image.
      I don't know if there's more context to make this clearer.
      In a non-sync shot you might still hear the interviewee's voice but see different images. This is the general idea I get from the Google examples I've seen: "sync(h)" in the context of film/video refers to the sound being synchronised to the image.

      This is the first thing that came up when I searched for the exact phrase "sync shots":
      In low budget situations, where a professional audio recorder is not an
      option, one may attempt "wild sync" for short sync shots. ...
      www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/s/sync(loc).html
      This is about audio in relation to video.

      Further down on the first page of Google hits, there's this:
      I particularly liked the way the audio from the synch shots was timed to overlap
      into the non-sync shots so that the audio edits would be less noticable. ...
      www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=opensource_ movies&collectionid=come_join_the_fun2004

      Dylan
    • andeds@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
        "predelovaci pasaz podbarvenou hudbou"

        First of all, I was thinking of something on the lines of "transition passage/sequence with background music". Is this a bit colourless? Fronek gives "background music" for podbarveni.

        Perhaps "scene transition with background music" would be better.

        I don't know if pasaz has a very specific meaning in a TV/film context. (Sekvence is both (film) sequence and scene, according to Fronek. According to one definition I've seen, a scene is a series of shots, and a sequence is a series of scenes).

        Google for "scene transition", and straight away you find this sort of thing (background music, tips on how to make soundtracks):
        Some pieces of music work better than others for long periods of time, but typically after several minutes it’s helpful to transition to something else. Also, if you have a scene change that requires different music this same method can be used to ease the **scene transition** without an obvious gap.
        www.smartsound.com/support/ faq/tutorials/tutorial_blending.html

        Dylan
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
          Enlightening. Thank you. I'll cease challenging you for the day.

          Jamie

          On Saturday, September 4, 2004, at 12:11 PM, andeds@... wrote:

          > Coming back to "sync shot":
          > na prvni synchron s Janou
          >
          > This is what gave me the idea that it's a shot of someone being
          > interviewed, with (presumably) the sound synchronised to the image.
          > I don't know if there's more context to make this clearer.
          > In a non-sync shot you might still hear the interviewee's voice but
          > see different images. This is the general idea I get from the Google
          > examples I've seen: "sync(h)" in the context of film/video refers to
          > the sound being synchronised to the image.
          >
          > This is the first thing that came up when I searched for the exact
          > phrase "sync shots":
          > In low budget situations, where a professional audio recorder is not an
          > option, one may attempt "wild sync" for short sync shots. ...
          > www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/s/sync(loc).html
          > This is about audio in relation to video.
          >
          > Further down on the first page of Google hits, there's this:
          > I particularly liked the way the audio from the synch shots was timed
          > to overlap
          > into the non-sync shots so that the audio edits would be less
          > noticable. ...
          > www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=opensource_
          > movies&collectionid=come_join_the_fun2004
          >
          > Dylan
          >

          > Czechlist resources:
          >
          > Obcasnik:
          > http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz