Re: [Czechlist] Help: TV Speak

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
      On Saturday, September 4, 2004, at 03:28 AM, andeds@... wrote:

      > The term "sync shot" might work here.
      > "Sync" as a verb is definitely part of filmspeak too - "the sound is
      > synced
      > to video" etc.
      > Lots of Google results!

      I don't find one film- or video-related reference to "sync shot" in the
      first five pages of Google results. Am I searching wrong? What does
      the term mean?

    • andeds@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
        Coming back to "sync shot":
        na prvni synchron s Janou

        This is what gave me the idea that it's a shot of someone being interviewed, with (presumably) the sound synchronised to the image.
        I don't know if there's more context to make this clearer.
        In a non-sync shot you might still hear the interviewee's voice but see different images. This is the general idea I get from the Google examples I've seen: "sync(h)" in the context of film/video refers to the sound being synchronised to the image.

        This is the first thing that came up when I searched for the exact phrase "sync shots":
        In low budget situations, where a professional audio recorder is not an
        option, one may attempt "wild sync" for short sync shots. ...
        www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/s/sync(loc).html
        This is about audio in relation to video.

        Further down on the first page of Google hits, there's this:
        I particularly liked the way the audio from the synch shots was timed to overlap
        into the non-sync shots so that the audio edits would be less noticable. ...
        www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=opensource_ movies&collectionid=come_join_the_fun2004

        Dylan
      • andeds@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
          "predelovaci pasaz podbarvenou hudbou"

          First of all, I was thinking of something on the lines of "transition passage/sequence with background music". Is this a bit colourless? Fronek gives "background music" for podbarveni.

          Perhaps "scene transition with background music" would be better.

          I don't know if pasaz has a very specific meaning in a TV/film context. (Sekvence is both (film) sequence and scene, according to Fronek. According to one definition I've seen, a scene is a series of shots, and a sequence is a series of scenes).

          Google for "scene transition", and straight away you find this sort of thing (background music, tips on how to make soundtracks):
          Some pieces of music work better than others for long periods of time, but typically after several minutes it’s helpful to transition to something else. Also, if you have a scene change that requires different music this same method can be used to ease the **scene transition** without an obvious gap.
          www.smartsound.com/support/ faq/tutorials/tutorial_blending.html

          Dylan
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
            Enlightening. Thank you. I'll cease challenging you for the day.

            Jamie

            On Saturday, September 4, 2004, at 12:11 PM, andeds@... wrote:

            > Coming back to "sync shot":
            > na prvni synchron s Janou
            >
            > This is what gave me the idea that it's a shot of someone being
            > interviewed, with (presumably) the sound synchronised to the image.
            > I don't know if there's more context to make this clearer.
            > In a non-sync shot you might still hear the interviewee's voice but
            > see different images. This is the general idea I get from the Google
            > examples I've seen: "sync(h)" in the context of film/video refers to
            > the sound being synchronised to the image.
            >
            > This is the first thing that came up when I searched for the exact
            > phrase "sync shots":
            > In low budget situations, where a professional audio recorder is not an
            > option, one may attempt "wild sync" for short sync shots. ...
            > www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/s/sync(loc).html
            > This is about audio in relation to video.
            >
            > Further down on the first page of Google hits, there's this:
            > I particularly liked the way the audio from the synch shots was timed
            > to overlap
            > into the non-sync shots so that the audio edits would be less
            > noticable. ...
            > www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=opensource_
            > movies&collectionid=come_join_the_fun2004
            >
            > Dylan
            >

            > Czechlist resources:
            >
            > Obcasnik:
            > http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz