Re: [Czechlist] Help: TV Speak

  • andeds@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
      In a message dated 9/3/04 9:37:02 PM GMT Daylight Time, coilinoc@...
      writes:

      << "na prvni synchron s Janou, odpovida na otazku jake byly okolnosti
      jejiho prichodu do Indie"

      The term "sync shot" might work here.
      "Sync" as a verb is definitely part of filmspeak too - "the sound is synced
      to video" etc.
      Lots of Google results!

      Dylan
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
        On Saturday, September 4, 2004, at 03:28 AM, andeds@... wrote:

        > The term "sync shot" might work here.
        > "Sync" as a verb is definitely part of filmspeak too - "the sound is
        > synced
        > to video" etc.
        > Lots of Google results!

        I don't find one film- or video-related reference to "sync shot" in the
        first five pages of Google results. Am I searching wrong? What does
        the term mean?

      • andeds@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
          Coming back to "sync shot":
          na prvni synchron s Janou

          This is what gave me the idea that it's a shot of someone being interviewed, with (presumably) the sound synchronised to the image.
          I don't know if there's more context to make this clearer.
          In a non-sync shot you might still hear the interviewee's voice but see different images. This is the general idea I get from the Google examples I've seen: "sync(h)" in the context of film/video refers to the sound being synchronised to the image.

          This is the first thing that came up when I searched for the exact phrase "sync shots":
          In low budget situations, where a professional audio recorder is not an
          option, one may attempt "wild sync" for short sync shots. ...
          www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/s/sync(loc).html
          This is about audio in relation to video.

          Further down on the first page of Google hits, there's this:
          I particularly liked the way the audio from the synch shots was timed to overlap
          into the non-sync shots so that the audio edits would be less noticable. ...
          www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=opensource_ movies&collectionid=come_join_the_fun2004

          Dylan
        • andeds@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
            "predelovaci pasaz podbarvenou hudbou"

            First of all, I was thinking of something on the lines of "transition passage/sequence with background music". Is this a bit colourless? Fronek gives "background music" for podbarveni.

            Perhaps "scene transition with background music" would be better.

            I don't know if pasaz has a very specific meaning in a TV/film context. (Sekvence is both (film) sequence and scene, according to Fronek. According to one definition I've seen, a scene is a series of shots, and a sequence is a series of scenes).

            Google for "scene transition", and straight away you find this sort of thing (background music, tips on how to make soundtracks):
            Some pieces of music work better than others for long periods of time, but typically after several minutes it’s helpful to transition to something else. Also, if you have a scene change that requires different music this same method can be used to ease the **scene transition** without an obvious gap.
            www.smartsound.com/support/ faq/tutorials/tutorial_blending.html

            Dylan
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
              Enlightening. Thank you. I'll cease challenging you for the day.

              Jamie

              On Saturday, September 4, 2004, at 12:11 PM, andeds@... wrote:

              > Coming back to "sync shot":
              > na prvni synchron s Janou
              >
              > This is what gave me the idea that it's a shot of someone being
              > interviewed, with (presumably) the sound synchronised to the image.
              > I don't know if there's more context to make this clearer.
              > In a non-sync shot you might still hear the interviewee's voice but
              > see different images. This is the general idea I get from the Google
              > examples I've seen: "sync(h)" in the context of film/video refers to
              > the sound being synchronised to the image.
              >
              > This is the first thing that came up when I searched for the exact
              > phrase "sync shots":
              > In low budget situations, where a professional audio recorder is not an
              > option, one may attempt "wild sync" for short sync shots. ...
              > www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/s/sync(loc).html
              > This is about audio in relation to video.
              >
              > Further down on the first page of Google hits, there's this:
              > I particularly liked the way the audio from the synch shots was timed
              > to overlap
              > into the non-sync shots so that the audio edits would be less
              > noticable. ...
              > www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=opensource_
              > movies&collectionid=come_join_the_fun2004
              >
              > Dylan
              >

              > Czechlist resources:
              >
              > Obcasnik:
              > http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz