Re: [Czechlist] Help: TV Speak

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
      My guesses are probably worse than yours, but I'll treat this like a
      contest:

      On Friday, September 3, 2004, at 04:34 PM, coilinoc wrote:

      > What do you make of the word synchron in the following contexts?
      >
      > "na prvni synchron s Janou, odpovida na otazku jake byly okolnosti
      > jejiho prichodu do Indie"
      >
      > "pokracujeme v dalsim synchronu na tema zacatku v ceskem a posleze
      > indickem modelingu"

      "Synchron" sounds to me like a piece of voiceover, or of dubbing. In
      English we can say something is dubbed, but we don't have a term for a
      single piece of dubbed dialogue. This could be that. Or just one
      segment of voiceover. We might say in English, "in the first
      voiceover, Jana answers the question..." The camera might not be on
      Jana talking, and it could be a voiceover with her answering questions
      while something else is happening on screen.

      > I have found a few hits for "synchronisation", but I have a feeling
      > that this sort of thing would have a much simpler name in English...?

      We don't use the word "synchronization" for this in English, at least
      on my side of the ocean.

      > Finally what is a
      > "predelovaci pasaz podbarvenou hudbou" would this be something like
      > a "changeover sequence with music to add some colour"?

      Sounds to me like "transition music".

    • andeds@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
        In a message dated 9/3/04 9:37:02 PM GMT Daylight Time, coilinoc@...
        writes:

        << "na prvni synchron s Janou, odpovida na otazku jake byly okolnosti
        jejiho prichodu do Indie"

        The term "sync shot" might work here.
        "Sync" as a verb is definitely part of filmspeak too - "the sound is synced
        to video" etc.
        Lots of Google results!

        Dylan
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
          On Saturday, September 4, 2004, at 03:28 AM, andeds@... wrote:

          > The term "sync shot" might work here.
          > "Sync" as a verb is definitely part of filmspeak too - "the sound is
          > synced
          > to video" etc.
          > Lots of Google results!

          I don't find one film- or video-related reference to "sync shot" in the
          first five pages of Google results. Am I searching wrong? What does
          the term mean?

        • andeds@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
            Coming back to "sync shot":
            na prvni synchron s Janou

            This is what gave me the idea that it's a shot of someone being interviewed, with (presumably) the sound synchronised to the image.
            I don't know if there's more context to make this clearer.
            In a non-sync shot you might still hear the interviewee's voice but see different images. This is the general idea I get from the Google examples I've seen: "sync(h)" in the context of film/video refers to the sound being synchronised to the image.

            This is the first thing that came up when I searched for the exact phrase "sync shots":
            In low budget situations, where a professional audio recorder is not an
            option, one may attempt "wild sync" for short sync shots. ...
            www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/s/sync(loc).html
            This is about audio in relation to video.

            Further down on the first page of Google hits, there's this:
            I particularly liked the way the audio from the synch shots was timed to overlap
            into the non-sync shots so that the audio edits would be less noticable. ...
            www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=opensource_ movies&collectionid=come_join_the_fun2004

            Dylan
          • andeds@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
              "predelovaci pasaz podbarvenou hudbou"

              First of all, I was thinking of something on the lines of "transition passage/sequence with background music". Is this a bit colourless? Fronek gives "background music" for podbarveni.

              Perhaps "scene transition with background music" would be better.

              I don't know if pasaz has a very specific meaning in a TV/film context. (Sekvence is both (film) sequence and scene, according to Fronek. According to one definition I've seen, a scene is a series of shots, and a sequence is a series of scenes).

              Google for "scene transition", and straight away you find this sort of thing (background music, tips on how to make soundtracks):
              Some pieces of music work better than others for long periods of time, but typically after several minutes it’s helpful to transition to something else. Also, if you have a scene change that requires different music this same method can be used to ease the **scene transition** without an obvious gap.
              www.smartsound.com/support/ faq/tutorials/tutorial_blending.html

              Dylan
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2004
                Enlightening. Thank you. I'll cease challenging you for the day.

                Jamie

                On Saturday, September 4, 2004, at 12:11 PM, andeds@... wrote:

                > Coming back to "sync shot":
                > na prvni synchron s Janou
                >
                > This is what gave me the idea that it's a shot of someone being
                > interviewed, with (presumably) the sound synchronised to the image.
                > I don't know if there's more context to make this clearer.
                > In a non-sync shot you might still hear the interviewee's voice but
                > see different images. This is the general idea I get from the Google
                > examples I've seen: "sync(h)" in the context of film/video refers to
                > the sound being synchronised to the image.
                >
                > This is the first thing that came up when I searched for the exact
                > phrase "sync shots":
                > In low budget situations, where a professional audio recorder is not an
                > option, one may attempt "wild sync" for short sync shots. ...
                > www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/s/sync(loc).html
                > This is about audio in relation to video.
                >
                > Further down on the first page of Google hits, there's this:
                > I particularly liked the way the audio from the synch shots was timed
                > to overlap
                > into the non-sync shots so that the audio edits would be less
                > noticable. ...
                > www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=opensource_
                > movies&collectionid=come_join_the_fun2004
                >
                > Dylan
                >

                > Czechlist resources:
                >
                > Obcasnik:
                > http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz