Contest

    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 2, 2004
      Here's a contest, folks. Nobody wins anything other than my admiration.

      There's a book in many stores in the US by an evangelical Protestant
      theologian who has converted to Roman Catholicism. The title is a pun:

      Rome Sweet Home

      The German translator apparently made no attempt at anything creative
      when translating the title:

      Unser Weg nach Rom
      (tj. Nase cesta do Rima) (Rimu?)

      Now I would like to know if you Czechlisters can think of a suitable
      pun to translate the title into Czech.

      This is not for a job, but just due to my curiosity. When I hear songs
      on the radio or see book titles, I frequently think about how a
      translator might screw them up or do a good job with them.

      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 4, 2004
        On Wednesday, August 4, 2004, at 04:51 PM, Michael Grant wrote:

        > On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:39:03 -0400, James Kirchner
        > <jpklists@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Read the new material on the era.  I can't explain and document it
        > all
        > > here.  The McCarthyists did some rotten things, but some of their
        > > information was actually right.  I was taught as a kid to think 100%
        > of
        > > it was baseless, but that turns out to be as much a lie as some of
        > the
        > > lies that came out of Congress in the '50s.
        >
        > A lie that would never have become prevalent if McCarthy and his
        > allies and emulators had behaved responsibly. If any of their targets
        > were genuinely dangerous, McCarthy & co. weakened the defense against
        > them.

        Well, yeah!