Re: Help: Cinzovni dum and other housing market terms

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
      Thanks Tomas!
      The "obcan" theory is quite interesting...
      Best

      > > Finally what do you guys make of "obcane" e.g.
      > > U tohoto typu bydleni si obcane zacinaji vice uvedomovat rizika
      > > mozneho uvaleni konkurzu nebo jinych problemu spojenych s jejich
      > > cinnosti a cinnosti jejich statutarních zastupcu"
      > > Surely "people" would suffice here in English...?
      >
      > I think this is a kind of an unfortunate term in Czech. The writer
      > probably felt "lide" would be too informal(for no good reason,
      IMHO)
      > and so decided to go with something more formal, like "obcane". To
      > me personally, "obcan" reminds me often of Russian as in the USSR
      > people not knowing each other used that word in order to avoid the
      > capitalist "pan/pani". In the CSSR, only cops (and official
      posters
      > announcin mobilizations and such) tended to use this form of
      > address. But perhaps that is just me (?).
      >
      > Tom
    • jsyeaton
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:
        > Hi there,
        > I'm doing a (rather boring) translation on the housing market and
        > the client has rather, ahem, kindly given me a "pomucka" to use as a
        > translating guide.
        > A lot of it is quite badly written, but most of the terms are not so
        > objectionable that I would refuse to use them.
        > However, there is one thing that really gets me and that is the fact
        > that "cinzovni dum" is rendered as "tenement house/building".
        > Although in a strict dictionary sense this is not wholly inaccurate,
        > I have always assumed that "tenement" had very negative slum-like
        > connotations, which is not quite what I think the author intends to
        > say. Would the other NSers on the list agree with me
        > that "apartment building" is a much less negative rendering
        > of "cinzovni dum" (many of which are quite respectabla and not in
        > the least bit like tenements...).

        Agree - lose the "tenements."

        > Also I have one or two other terms that I would love your advice on:
        >
        > radova zastavba - terraced-housing development?

        In the States we have "row houses."

        > kobercova zastavba - some sort of all encompassing housing
        > development (perhaps "blanket development"?)

        As in "blanket bombing?"

        > uverovani - as in "Fenomen vstupu do EU mizi, pomalu se budou
        > zvysovat naklady na uverování koupe nemovitosti" or "Lide budou
        > více zvazovat vsechny aspekty koupe, bude mene projektu s klientskym
        > uverovanim"
        > Would I be right in thinking that "financing" is perhaps the best
        > term to go with in this context?
        >
        > Finally what do you guys make of "obcane" e.g.
        > U tohoto typu bydleni si obcane zacinaji vice uvedomovat rizika
        > mozneho uvaleni konkurzu nebo jinych problemu spojenych s jejich
        > cinnosti a cinnosti jejich statutarních zastupcu"
        > Surely "people" would suffice here in English...?

        > MTIA
        > Coilin

        I'd agree, obcane seems to be used much more broadly than we use
        "citizens."

        Judy

      • Zemedelec@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
          In a message dated 8/01/2004 6:07:42, jsyeaton@... writes:

          > Would the other NSers on the list agree with me
          > > that "apartment building" is a much less negative rendering
          > > of "cinzovni dum" (many of which are quite respectabla and not in
          > > the least bit like tenements...).

          Yes indeed. Panelaky might be described as tenements!