Re: Help: Cinzovni dum and other housing market terms

  • tomas_barendregt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2004
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:
      > Would the other NSers on the list agree with me
      > that "apartment building" is a much less negative rendering
      > of "cinzovni dum"

      Hi Coilin, I am only a NSoC but "appartment building" is definitely
      what these are called around here in Denver.

      > radova zastavba - terraced-housing development?

      I think these would be "townhomes" or "townhouses" in the US.

      > kobercova zastavba - some sort of all encompassing housing
      > development (perhaps "blanket development"?)

      If this were an anti-urban-sprawl text, I would think this might
      be "cookie-cutter development". But since this is probably the
      developer speaking, this might be something like "community
      development" which is what they tend to call the the deal whan
      someone buys a bunch of suburban land and then puts hundreds of
      similar houses on it to sell.

      > uverovani - Would I be right in thinking that "financing" is
      perhaps the best
      > term to go with in this context?

      I think so.

      > Finally what do you guys make of "obcane" e.g.
      > U tohoto typu bydleni si obcane zacinaji vice uvedomovat rizika
      > mozneho uvaleni konkurzu nebo jinych problemu spojenych s jejich
      > cinnosti a cinnosti jejich statutarních zastupcu"
      > Surely "people" would suffice here in English...?

      I think this is a kind of an unfortunate term in Czech. The writer
      probably felt "lide" would be too informal(for no good reason, IMHO)
      and so decided to go with something more formal, like "obcane". To
      me personally, "obcan" reminds me often of Russian as in the USSR
      people not knowing each other used that word in order to avoid the
      capitalist "pan/pani". In the CSSR, only cops (and official posters
      announcin mobilizations and such) tended to use this form of
      address. But perhaps that is just me (?).

      Tom
    • coilinoc
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
        Thanks Tomas!
        The "obcan" theory is quite interesting...
        Best

        > > Finally what do you guys make of "obcane" e.g.
        > > U tohoto typu bydleni si obcane zacinaji vice uvedomovat rizika
        > > mozneho uvaleni konkurzu nebo jinych problemu spojenych s jejich
        > > cinnosti a cinnosti jejich statutarních zastupcu"
        > > Surely "people" would suffice here in English...?
        >
        > I think this is a kind of an unfortunate term in Czech. The writer
        > probably felt "lide" would be too informal(for no good reason,
        IMHO)
        > and so decided to go with something more formal, like "obcane". To
        > me personally, "obcan" reminds me often of Russian as in the USSR
        > people not knowing each other used that word in order to avoid the
        > capitalist "pan/pani". In the CSSR, only cops (and official
        posters
        > announcin mobilizations and such) tended to use this form of
        > address. But perhaps that is just me (?).
        >
        > Tom
      • jsyeaton
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:
          > Hi there,
          > I'm doing a (rather boring) translation on the housing market and
          > the client has rather, ahem, kindly given me a "pomucka" to use as a
          > translating guide.
          > A lot of it is quite badly written, but most of the terms are not so
          > objectionable that I would refuse to use them.
          > However, there is one thing that really gets me and that is the fact
          > that "cinzovni dum" is rendered as "tenement house/building".
          > Although in a strict dictionary sense this is not wholly inaccurate,
          > I have always assumed that "tenement" had very negative slum-like
          > connotations, which is not quite what I think the author intends to
          > say. Would the other NSers on the list agree with me
          > that "apartment building" is a much less negative rendering
          > of "cinzovni dum" (many of which are quite respectabla and not in
          > the least bit like tenements...).

          Agree - lose the "tenements."

          > Also I have one or two other terms that I would love your advice on:
          >
          > radova zastavba - terraced-housing development?

          In the States we have "row houses."

          > kobercova zastavba - some sort of all encompassing housing
          > development (perhaps "blanket development"?)

          As in "blanket bombing?"

          > uverovani - as in "Fenomen vstupu do EU mizi, pomalu se budou
          > zvysovat naklady na uverování koupe nemovitosti" or "Lide budou
          > více zvazovat vsechny aspekty koupe, bude mene projektu s klientskym
          > uverovanim"
          > Would I be right in thinking that "financing" is perhaps the best
          > term to go with in this context?
          >
          > Finally what do you guys make of "obcane" e.g.
          > U tohoto typu bydleni si obcane zacinaji vice uvedomovat rizika
          > mozneho uvaleni konkurzu nebo jinych problemu spojenych s jejich
          > cinnosti a cinnosti jejich statutarních zastupcu"
          > Surely "people" would suffice here in English...?

          > MTIA
          > Coilin

          I'd agree, obcane seems to be used much more broadly than we use
          "citizens."

          Judy

        • Zemedelec@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
            In a message dated 8/01/2004 6:07:42, jsyeaton@... writes:

            > Would the other NSers on the list agree with me
            > > that "apartment building" is a much less negative rendering
            > > of "cinzovni dum" (many of which are quite respectabla and not in
            > > the least bit like tenements...).

            Yes indeed. Panelaky might be described as tenements!