Help: Cinzovni dum and other housing market terms

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2004
      Hi there,
      I'm doing a (rather boring) translation on the housing market and
      the client has rather, ahem, kindly given me a "pomucka" to use as a
      translating guide.
      A lot of it is quite badly written, but most of the terms are not so
      objectionable that I would refuse to use them.
      However, there is one thing that really gets me and that is the fact
      that "cinzovni dum" is rendered as "tenement house/building".
      Although in a strict dictionary sense this is not wholly inaccurate,
      I have always assumed that "tenement" had very negative slum-like
      connotations, which is not quite what I think the author intends to
      say. Would the other NSers on the list agree with me
      that "apartment building" is a much less negative rendering
      of "cinzovni dum" (many of which are quite respectabla and not in
      the least bit like tenements...).

      Also I have one or two other terms that I would love your advice on:

      radova zastavba - terraced-housing development?

      kobercova zastavba - some sort of all encompassing housing
      development (perhaps "blanket development"?)

      uverovani - as in "Fenomen vstupu do EU mizi, pomalu se budou
      zvysovat naklady na uverování koupe nemovitosti" or "Lide budou
      více zvazovat vsechny aspekty koupe, bude mene projektu s klientskym
      uverovanim"
      Would I be right in thinking that "financing" is perhaps the best
      term to go with in this context?

      Finally what do you guys make of "obcane" e.g.
      U tohoto typu bydleni si obcane zacinaji vice uvedomovat rizika
      mozneho uvaleni konkurzu nebo jinych problemu spojenych s jejich
      cinnosti a cinnosti jejich statutarních zastupcu"
      Surely "people" would suffice here in English...?

      MTIA
      Coilin
    • tomas_barendregt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2004
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:
        > Would the other NSers on the list agree with me
        > that "apartment building" is a much less negative rendering
        > of "cinzovni dum"

        Hi Coilin, I am only a NSoC but "appartment building" is definitely
        what these are called around here in Denver.

        > radova zastavba - terraced-housing development?

        I think these would be "townhomes" or "townhouses" in the US.

        > kobercova zastavba - some sort of all encompassing housing
        > development (perhaps "blanket development"?)

        If this were an anti-urban-sprawl text, I would think this might
        be "cookie-cutter development". But since this is probably the
        developer speaking, this might be something like "community
        development" which is what they tend to call the the deal whan
        someone buys a bunch of suburban land and then puts hundreds of
        similar houses on it to sell.

        > uverovani - Would I be right in thinking that "financing" is
        perhaps the best
        > term to go with in this context?

        I think so.

        > Finally what do you guys make of "obcane" e.g.
        > U tohoto typu bydleni si obcane zacinaji vice uvedomovat rizika
        > mozneho uvaleni konkurzu nebo jinych problemu spojenych s jejich
        > cinnosti a cinnosti jejich statutarních zastupcu"
        > Surely "people" would suffice here in English...?

        I think this is a kind of an unfortunate term in Czech. The writer
        probably felt "lide" would be too informal(for no good reason, IMHO)
        and so decided to go with something more formal, like "obcane". To
        me personally, "obcan" reminds me often of Russian as in the USSR
        people not knowing each other used that word in order to avoid the
        capitalist "pan/pani". In the CSSR, only cops (and official posters
        announcin mobilizations and such) tended to use this form of
        address. But perhaps that is just me (?).

        Tom
      • coilinoc
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
          Thanks Tomas!
          The "obcan" theory is quite interesting...
          Best

          > > Finally what do you guys make of "obcane" e.g.
          > > U tohoto typu bydleni si obcane zacinaji vice uvedomovat rizika
          > > mozneho uvaleni konkurzu nebo jinych problemu spojenych s jejich
          > > cinnosti a cinnosti jejich statutarních zastupcu"
          > > Surely "people" would suffice here in English...?
          >
          > I think this is a kind of an unfortunate term in Czech. The writer
          > probably felt "lide" would be too informal(for no good reason,
          IMHO)
          > and so decided to go with something more formal, like "obcane". To
          > me personally, "obcan" reminds me often of Russian as in the USSR
          > people not knowing each other used that word in order to avoid the
          > capitalist "pan/pani". In the CSSR, only cops (and official
          posters
          > announcin mobilizations and such) tended to use this form of
          > address. But perhaps that is just me (?).
          >
          > Tom
        • jsyeaton
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:
            > Hi there,
            > I'm doing a (rather boring) translation on the housing market and
            > the client has rather, ahem, kindly given me a "pomucka" to use as a
            > translating guide.
            > A lot of it is quite badly written, but most of the terms are not so
            > objectionable that I would refuse to use them.
            > However, there is one thing that really gets me and that is the fact
            > that "cinzovni dum" is rendered as "tenement house/building".
            > Although in a strict dictionary sense this is not wholly inaccurate,
            > I have always assumed that "tenement" had very negative slum-like
            > connotations, which is not quite what I think the author intends to
            > say. Would the other NSers on the list agree with me
            > that "apartment building" is a much less negative rendering
            > of "cinzovni dum" (many of which are quite respectabla and not in
            > the least bit like tenements...).

            Agree - lose the "tenements."

            > Also I have one or two other terms that I would love your advice on:
            >
            > radova zastavba - terraced-housing development?

            In the States we have "row houses."

            > kobercova zastavba - some sort of all encompassing housing
            > development (perhaps "blanket development"?)

            As in "blanket bombing?"

            > uverovani - as in "Fenomen vstupu do EU mizi, pomalu se budou
            > zvysovat naklady na uverování koupe nemovitosti" or "Lide budou
            > více zvazovat vsechny aspekty koupe, bude mene projektu s klientskym
            > uverovanim"
            > Would I be right in thinking that "financing" is perhaps the best
            > term to go with in this context?
            >
            > Finally what do you guys make of "obcane" e.g.
            > U tohoto typu bydleni si obcane zacinaji vice uvedomovat rizika
            > mozneho uvaleni konkurzu nebo jinych problemu spojenych s jejich
            > cinnosti a cinnosti jejich statutarních zastupcu"
            > Surely "people" would suffice here in English...?

            > MTIA
            > Coilin

            I'd agree, obcane seems to be used much more broadly than we use
            "citizens."

            Judy

          • Zemedelec@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
              In a message dated 8/01/2004 6:07:42, jsyeaton@... writes:

              > Would the other NSers on the list agree with me
              > > that "apartment building" is a much less negative rendering
              > > of "cinzovni dum" (many of which are quite respectabla and not in
              > > the least bit like tenements...).

              Yes indeed. Panelaky might be described as tenements!