Re: Cowboys, WAS: POLICY: agency practices

  • jsyeaton
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 21, 2004
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Vollam" <vollams@v...>
      > wrote:
      > > > Now I guess I know why press reports from Europe and other
      > > countries
      > > > call Bush (or any other Republican president who offends some
      > > > European's sense of political esthetics) as a "cowboy".
      > >
      > > Do you have any examples to hand? I doubt that a British hack
      > would
      > > use it to cast aspersions on Bush's competence. More likely it
      > would
      > > be to imply that he has a trigger-happy, gung-ho mentality. Or
      > maybe
      > > they wish he'd just ride off into the sunset.
      > >
      > > Simon
      >
      > I think Jamie may be right in a sense. European (continental)
      > reference to "cowboys" is based on action movies depicting times of
      > conquering the Wild West rather than on what cowboys really are.
      >
      > Furthermore, the continental Wild West industry is by main part a
      > product of Karel May, a German writer, who wrote his stories during
      > years he spent in prison without having a chance to travel to
      > America or meet any cowboys.
      >
      > K.

      BTW, it's not just Europeans who have problems with Bush's policies.
      One of our Senators, a Constitutional expert, has just written a book
      about the "preemptive strike" doctrine that Bush came up with:

      ". ... This green and arrogant president had made a U-turn on our
      tradition of working with allies and exhausting diplomatic efforts. ..
      . Our metamorphosis on the world stage from powerful, peaceful giant
      to swaggering Wild West bully, with little regard for cooperative
      agreements, sensitivities or diplomacy in general, means a different
      kind of world in years to come."

      "Wild West bully" is close enough to "cowboy" to count, I think.

      Judy