Re: Thoughts, opinions, rank speculation requested

  • jsyeaton
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 1, 2004
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Culka" <culka@m...> wrote:
      > Judy,
      > and you are able to sit and translate 10 NS every day? Me not.
      > Maybe one day, two days, three consecutive days, but definitely
      > not 30 days. I therefore do translating as a hobby (of course
      > bringing some money, too). And I don´t believe I could live fully on
      that.
      > Honza

      10 NS = 2500-3000 words a day? That's pretty much a standard,
      day-in-and-day-out, amount. The problem with CZ>EN in the States is
      that there is usually not this amount of work in Czech available, so
      you have to do multiple languages and subjects, meaning you spend all
      your time on google becoming an instant expert in some new field. 10
      NS after working all day would be rough, but if translating is your
      main source of income, it's easy enough (especially since you don't
      waste time commuting, keeping up a wardrobe for work, dealing with
      coworkers...)

      As far as "living" on the income from translation, well, some people
      do very nicely, especially those with some business sense, but in the
      US, a lot depends on the business cycle: every recession wipes out a
      few more experienced people and brings in new people (who lost some
      other kind of work). This last recession has been rough, at least for
      Russian translators (which is normally about 50% of what I do) - after
      the downturn in Russia, there was one in the States, and I know at
      least one guy (experienced, intelligent, a lot higher production rate
      than me) who lost his house because of too little work and an agency
      that starting paying ever more slowly. Other people just aren't there
      any more.

      Judy
    • jsyeaton
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 1, 2004
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
        > > As far as "living" on the income from translation, well, some
        > people
        > > do very nicely, especially those with some business sense, but in
        > the
        > > US, a lot depends on the business cycle: every recession wipes out
        > > few more experienced people and brings in new people (who lost
        > some
        > > other kind of work). This last recession has been rough, at least
        > for
        > > Russian translators (which is normally about 50% of what I do) -
        > after
        > > the downturn in Russia, there was one in the States, and I know at
        > > least one guy (experienced, intelligent, a lot higher production
        > rate
        > > than me) who lost his house because of too little work and an
        > agency
        > > that starting paying ever more slowly. Other people just aren't
        > there
        > > any more.
        > >
        > > Judy
        >
        > And what about those in the US who work in major language
        > combinations like Eng<>Ger? Aren't they doing OK? I mean people who
        > are established in the profession.
        >
        > K.

        They are generally in a better position than those of us in LLD
        ("languages of lesser diffusion") - better references available, more
        work, etc. But then, of course, there are more competitors. There's no
        such thing as a safe job or occupation in the US, and recessions are
        scary for almost everybody. The weaker dollar may be helping now -
        that was another big problem for a long time. From the look of my
        mail-box, things seem to be generally picking up.

        The government used to act as an employer of last resort for many
        translators, when the CIA hired hundreds of people to translate tons
        of newspaper articles from around the world. It was how most Russian
        and Central European translators learned the trade, I think, and was a
        reliable stand-by in slow periods for even established people. Now -
        well, if you know Arabic, you're golden. But perhaps on the way to
        Iraq.

        Judy