Re: Thoughts, opinions, rank speculation requested

  • jsyeaton
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 1, 2004
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Petr Veselý <veselypetr@p...> wrote:

      > > As I said, it sounds like a Golden Age to an American. The
      crucial
      > > point isn't how much one gets per page, but that there's a steady
      > > supply of pages: one book a month at even 50 Kc/NS is 15,000 Kc,
      > > almost the average wage, which is from what I've read more than
      most
      > > people earn, anyway.
      > >
      > > Judy
      > >

      > No, mne to teda jako Golden Age nezni. Dejme tomu, ze by literarni
      > prekladatel vydelal 100,- za NS. Aby vydelal mirne nadprumernych 20.
      000,-
      > (tim ovsem myslim ve srovnani s republikovym prumerem, pro
      prekladatele je
      > to malo) za mesic, musel by pri 20 pracovnich dnech za den zvladnout
      10 NS.
      > Pokud by neslo primo o detektivky nebo Harlekyny, kde se opakuji
      stale tytez
      > situace a fraze, je podle mne toto tempo nemozne, vzdyt tento druh
      prekladu
      > je v podstate umelecka cinnost, tam clovek nemuze mechanicky jet
      jako na
      > bezicim pasu, jako u pravnickych, technickych apod. prekladu.
      > Z toho pro mne plyne jedine, literarnimi preklady se slusne uzivit
      neda, je
      > to vlastne takova charitativni cinnost, vhodna tak pro prekladatele
      > duchodu, kteri si reknou, ze by po sobe taky meli neco hodnotneho
      zanechat,
      > alias "zasad strom, postav dum, zplod potomka a preloz knihu."
      >
      > Petr

      Akorat o tech detektivkach jsem myslela: neni to predstavitelne, aby
      byl novy Pnin kazdy mesic.

      Judy
    • jsyeaton
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 1, 2004
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
        > > As far as "living" on the income from translation, well, some
        > people
        > > do very nicely, especially those with some business sense, but in
        > the
        > > US, a lot depends on the business cycle: every recession wipes out
        > > few more experienced people and brings in new people (who lost
        > some
        > > other kind of work). This last recession has been rough, at least
        > for
        > > Russian translators (which is normally about 50% of what I do) -
        > after
        > > the downturn in Russia, there was one in the States, and I know at
        > > least one guy (experienced, intelligent, a lot higher production
        > rate
        > > than me) who lost his house because of too little work and an
        > agency
        > > that starting paying ever more slowly. Other people just aren't
        > there
        > > any more.
        > >
        > > Judy
        >
        > And what about those in the US who work in major language
        > combinations like Eng<>Ger? Aren't they doing OK? I mean people who
        > are established in the profession.
        >
        > K.

        They are generally in a better position than those of us in LLD
        ("languages of lesser diffusion") - better references available, more
        work, etc. But then, of course, there are more competitors. There's no
        such thing as a safe job or occupation in the US, and recessions are
        scary for almost everybody. The weaker dollar may be helping now -
        that was another big problem for a long time. From the look of my
        mail-box, things seem to be generally picking up.

        The government used to act as an employer of last resort for many
        translators, when the CIA hired hundreds of people to translate tons
        of newspaper articles from around the world. It was how most Russian
        and Central European translators learned the trade, I think, and was a
        reliable stand-by in slow periods for even established people. Now -
        well, if you know Arabic, you're golden. But perhaps on the way to
        Iraq.

        Judy