Re: [Czechlist] Re: Thoughts, opinions, rank speculation requested

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 1, 2004

      > As I said, it sounds like a Golden Age to an American. The crucial
      > point isn't how much one gets per page, but that there's a steady
      > supply of pages: one book a month at even 50 Kc/NS is 15,000 Kc,
      > almost the average wage, which is from what I've read more than most
      > people earn, anyway.
      >
      > Judy

      No, mne to teda jako Golden Age nezni. Dejme tomu, ze by literarni
      prekladatel vydelal 100,- za NS. Aby vydelal mirne nadprumernych 20.000,-
      (tim ovsem myslim ve srovnani s republikovym prumerem, pro prekladatele je
      to malo) za mesic, musel by pri 20 pracovnich dnech za den zvladnout 10 NS.
      Pokud by neslo primo o detektivky nebo Harlekyny, kde se opakuji stale tytez
      situace a fraze, je podle mne toto tempo nemozne, vzdyt tento druh prekladu
      je v podstate umelecka cinnost, tam clovek nemuze mechanicky jet jako na
      bezicim pasu, jako u pravnickych, technickych apod. prekladu.
      Z toho pro mne plyne jedine, literarnimi preklady se slusne uzivit neda, je
      to vlastne takova charitativni cinnost, vhodna tak pro prekladatele v
      duchodu, kteri si reknou, ze by po sobe taky meli neco hodnotneho zanechat,
      alias "zasad strom, postav dum, zplod potomka a preloz knihu."

      Petr
    • jsyeaton
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 1, 2004
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
        > > As far as "living" on the income from translation, well, some
        > people
        > > do very nicely, especially those with some business sense, but in
        > the
        > > US, a lot depends on the business cycle: every recession wipes out
        > > few more experienced people and brings in new people (who lost
        > some
        > > other kind of work). This last recession has been rough, at least
        > for
        > > Russian translators (which is normally about 50% of what I do) -
        > after
        > > the downturn in Russia, there was one in the States, and I know at
        > > least one guy (experienced, intelligent, a lot higher production
        > rate
        > > than me) who lost his house because of too little work and an
        > agency
        > > that starting paying ever more slowly. Other people just aren't
        > there
        > > any more.
        > >
        > > Judy
        >
        > And what about those in the US who work in major language
        > combinations like Eng<>Ger? Aren't they doing OK? I mean people who
        > are established in the profession.
        >
        > K.

        They are generally in a better position than those of us in LLD
        ("languages of lesser diffusion") - better references available, more
        work, etc. But then, of course, there are more competitors. There's no
        such thing as a safe job or occupation in the US, and recessions are
        scary for almost everybody. The weaker dollar may be helping now -
        that was another big problem for a long time. From the look of my
        mail-box, things seem to be generally picking up.

        The government used to act as an employer of last resort for many
        translators, when the CIA hired hundreds of people to translate tons
        of newspaper articles from around the world. It was how most Russian
        and Central European translators learned the trade, I think, and was a
        reliable stand-by in slow periods for even established people. Now -
        well, if you know Arabic, you're golden. But perhaps on the way to
        Iraq.

        Judy