Thoughts, opinions, rank speculation requested

  • jsyeaton
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 29, 2004
      Hi all,

      I'm trying to get some idea of the volume of work available to into-Cz
      and into-Eng translators (as a way of explaining the apparent slowness
      of American Slavic-language translators to get into CAT tools). As
      the world's worst marketer, I realize that my personal experience is
      too limited to be meaningful. Asking my agency friends in the States
      doesn't produce much enlightenment - even in the glory days, most of
      them saw very few Czech or Slovak jobs in a year, and then, there's
      been a recession on ... It seems to an outsider that, comparatively
      speaking, translators in the CR are experiencing a golden age - how's
      it seem to you?

      Judy
    • jsyeaton
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 1, 2004
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
        > > As far as "living" on the income from translation, well, some
        > people
        > > do very nicely, especially those with some business sense, but in
        > the
        > > US, a lot depends on the business cycle: every recession wipes out
        > > few more experienced people and brings in new people (who lost
        > some
        > > other kind of work). This last recession has been rough, at least
        > for
        > > Russian translators (which is normally about 50% of what I do) -
        > after
        > > the downturn in Russia, there was one in the States, and I know at
        > > least one guy (experienced, intelligent, a lot higher production
        > rate
        > > than me) who lost his house because of too little work and an
        > agency
        > > that starting paying ever more slowly. Other people just aren't
        > there
        > > any more.
        > >
        > > Judy
        >
        > And what about those in the US who work in major language
        > combinations like Eng<>Ger? Aren't they doing OK? I mean people who
        > are established in the profession.
        >
        > K.

        They are generally in a better position than those of us in LLD
        ("languages of lesser diffusion") - better references available, more
        work, etc. But then, of course, there are more competitors. There's no
        such thing as a safe job or occupation in the US, and recessions are
        scary for almost everybody. The weaker dollar may be helping now -
        that was another big problem for a long time. From the look of my
        mail-box, things seem to be generally picking up.

        The government used to act as an employer of last resort for many
        translators, when the CIA hired hundreds of people to translate tons
        of newspaper articles from around the world. It was how most Russian
        and Central European translators learned the trade, I think, and was a
        reliable stand-by in slow periods for even established people. Now -
        well, if you know Arabic, you're golden. But perhaps on the way to
        Iraq.

        Judy