Term: fantod

  • jsyeaton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2004
      Oh, and one more thing: does anybody have any idea what kind of
      object a fantod might be in this scene? A guys enters an old
      curiosity shop, says "I rather fancy that fantod under the glass
      jar", inspects it critically and notes that it is not in a very good
      condition. No dictionary short of full OED (which I keep forgetting
      to consult when I'm in the library) offers any meaning that would
      make sense there. In the end I went for ka'c^a, as it didn't really
      matter for the story, but I'm quite bemused.

      --
      Jan Vanek jr.

      See:

      http://www.salon.com/people/bc/2000/02/15/gorey

      "If no one else can fathom the work, Gorey reasoned, publish it
      yourself, which is exactly what he did with much of his writing at his
      own Fantod Press. (A fantod is described by Webster's as the "fidgets"
      and by Gorey as "the vapors, the nervous tizzies." Fantods have also
      shown up in his work as small, winged creatures stuffed in bell jars.)
      Today, an early edition can go for as much as $750; an original print
      for $5,000."

      Edward Gorey - he did the illustrations for the BBC's Mystery Theater,
      if you've ever seen that.

      Judy