unclear sentence

  • andeds@aol.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 24, 2004
      Hi everyone,
      This part of a sentence is not very clear to me, either grammatically or from a chemical point of view:

      nacez se po odpareni rozpoustedla pusobi triethylaminem nebo jeho roztoky v chlorovanych uhlovodicich, a sloucenina ... se izoluje...

      I'd like to know, first of all, if this part of the sentence makes sense, in itself - I mean does it hang together grammatically?
      Then it would also be reassuring to know that it makes sense to chemists.

      I can quote more of the sentence if necessary, but I'd just like to know if rozpoustedla can be taken as the subject of the verb pusobi, or would you want to find a subject earlier in the sentence (I didn't find one) ?

      TIA
      Dylan
    • Michael Trittipo
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 30, 2013
        On or about Saturday, March 30, 2013, 12:38:29 PM, Jiri wrote:
        > "No less well suited" than what? It's perhaps the part "for
        > being..." that confuses me. I don't see how it connects to the rest.
        > Would you please re-tell the sentence in a more simple way for me

        > Never before had there been preached a message of personal
        > responsibility quite so radical, so democratic, or so potentially
        > wide-reaching in its appeal. Christian thinkers, in their struggle
        > to define the principles of their faith, were engaged in a project
        > **no less well-suited to the times for being so palpably quixotic:**
        > the fathoming of the purposes of God in an ever more globalised world.

        Melvyn's already answered, and I agree, and write just to offer an
        alternative rephrasing, that still works out the same.

        The sentence could be rewritten as:
        "... in a project that, despite being so palpably quixotic, was
        nevertheless well-suited to the times."

        "was no less ADJ for X" means "despite X, was nevertheless still ADJ"