Re: [Czechlist] Experiences as "zkusenosti"

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 2, 2004
      Hi Petr,

      sorry for responding so late, but I haven't been able to earlier. I think
      that quite a lot has been said on this thread, but anyway... your last
      posting sounded like you were not completely getting it yet.

      > Based on what you are saying, you would then happily translate "jaké jsou
      > tvé zkusenosti?" as "what are your experiences?"

      There isn't enough context, but in most situations I wouldn't. Why should I?
      I never even indicated it would work as your above query suggests. In the
      light of knowing how things work as described in Mr. Albert Einstein's
      General Theory of Relativity, Sir Isaac Newton's Universal Law of
      Gravitation is also a simplification, yet you can apply it 'happily' in your
      everyday life. Who would bother considering non-linearity when it's so small
      at speeds you practically encounter? That is unless you're a professional
      physicist. And that's what you are to languague as a translator.

      I admit the simplification of translating 'some experience' as "zkusenosti"
      and 'experiences' as "zazitky" is a fairly good one, at least for students
      of English as a foreign or second language. Not good enough to insist on its
      100% accuracy in the translating interpreting trade, though. The problem is
      there isn't a word in Czech which would _exactly_ reflect the concept of the
      English word 'experience'. Saying that, any two people in the same nation,
      speaking the same language, may not always mean the same using the same
      words when the concepts are complex.

      I haven't used up my ammo, but I am not in want of killing so I'd rather
      close this for myself...