Re: [Czechlist] Agency: Translatus

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
      Seconded, I think there's a Russian bloke here, with a strange anglicized
      Russian name, who pretends to run a one-man branch of Translatus, fishing
      for cheap labor to handle good paying jobs from abroad... If memory serves
      well, he tried to get me to handle the coordination (at no margin)....
      wouldn't touch them with a barge pole..

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
        Hi Sarka,

        That's interesting - where did you find it, Blue Board? (I forgot to
        check).

        Judy

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "ing.Sárka Rubková" <rubkova@l...>

      • jsyeaton
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus" <czechlist@t...
          > wrote:
          > Seconded, I think there's a Russian bloke here, with a strange
          anglicized
          > Russian name,

          Shelley Leighton??

          who pretends to run a one-man branch of Translatus, fishing
          > for cheap labor to handle good paying jobs from abroad... If memory
          serves
          > well, he tried to get me to handle the coordination (at no margin)..
          ..
          > wouldn't touch them with a barge pole..

          This is beginning to sound almost interesting enough to take - for the
          potential value as story material (which I'll offer to Melvyn at an
          exorbitant rate, once he's picked up by some film company). Or maybe
          Michael Moore? The world may be ready for a horror movie about the
          translation industry.

          Judy

        • ing.Sárka Rubková
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
            The Union of Interpreters and Translators has a paid access to such page and
            it publishes this list from time to time in the JTP Bulletin

            wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > this agency is listed at the currently valid international list of
            > non-paying agencies
            >
            > Sarka

          • Martina Silpoch
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
              Just noticed they have 2 interpreting jobs (location -Germany)posted
              on ProZ and it doesn't look like people are very much interested.
              And BTW do any of you have any experience (or is it experiences?)
              with ALS International in the US? Especially their payment
              practices...4-6 weeks is going into week 9...
              Martina

              wrote:
              > The Union of Interpreters and Translators has a paid access to such
              page and
              > it publishes this list from time to time in the JTP Bulletin
              >
              > sarka

            • jsyeaton
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                I checked the ATA listing for ALS International (it's public - you
                don't need to be a member - www.atanet.org), and they aren't
                listed. This doesn't mean there's a problem, but I always feel
                better when I find someone new listed there.

                From their website, this looks more like a collection of individual
                translators than an agency as such. I've worked with some people
                under such arrangements who paid with almost embarrassing
                promptness, but the smaller - and more undercapitalized - the
                company, the more apt it is to have financial problems.

                Judy

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mihail Mihaylov" <mmtrans@n...>
                wrote:
                > Be sure they will pay. Just write directly to their acc. dept -
                Ms. Susan

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                  Their BlueBoard record does not look like nice either....

                  > The Union of Interpreters and Translators has a paid access to such page
                  and
                  > it publishes this list from time to time in the JTP Bulletin
                  >
                  > sarka

                • Mihail Mihaylov
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004

                    wrote:
                    > The Union of Interpreters and Translators has a paid access to such
                    page and
                    > it publishes this list from time to time in the JTP Bulletin
                    >
                    > sarka

                  • Michael Grant
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                      On Jun 1, 2004, at 8:27 AM, jsyeaton wrote:

                      > I checked the ATA listing for ALS International (it's public - you
                      > don't need to be a member - www.atanet.org), and they aren't
                      > listed. This doesn't mean there's a problem, but I always feel
                      > better when I find someone new listed there.

                      Is this Antiquariat Literary Services in Reston, VA? They're
                      solid--I've been working with them for years. But their payment cycle
                      is all over the map--many times they pay early, but occasionally
                      something gets lost until you remind them of it. The average payment
                      lag through the end of last year has been 83 days, but it's mostly a
                      single incident (involving a very small amount) that throws off the
                      average. Just give them a friendly reminder and I'm sure you'll be OK.

                      Michael

                      --
                      "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty
                      recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but

                      - T.E. Lawrence
                    • jsyeaton
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                        There's an ALS International with an office that looked out on the
                        World Trade Center and a drop-down list of contacts nation-wide.
                        Their Blue Book record is mixed - just sometimes slow, basically.

                        Judy

                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Michael Grant <trans@b...> wrote:
                        > On Jun 1, 2004, at 8:27 AM, jsyeaton wrote:
                        >
                        > > I checked the ATA listing for ALS International (it's public -
                        you
                        > > don't need to be a member - www.atanet.org), and they aren't
                        > > listed. This doesn't mean there's a problem, but I always feel
                        > > better when I find someone new listed there.
                        >
                        > Is this Antiquariat Literary Services in Reston, VA? They're
                        > solid--I've been working with them for years. But their payment
                        cycle
                        > is all over the map--many times they pay early, but occasionally
                        > something gets lost until you remind them of it. The average
                        payment
                        > lag through the end of last year has been 83 days, but it's mostly
                        > single incident (involving a very small amount) that throws off
                        the
                        > average. Just give them a friendly reminder and I'm sure you'll be
                        OK.

                        > Michael
                        >
                        > --
                        > "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the
                        dusty
                        > recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was
                        vanity: but
                        > the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their
                        dream
                        > with open eyes, to make it possible."
                        >
                        > - T.E. Lawrence
                      • Martina Silpoch
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                          Thanks you all for your input. Slow I can live with:), they wouldn't
                          be the first ones. To answer the questions - yes, they are in NY City
                          and the manager I dealt with seemed quite decent. Her name is Latisha
                          Gordon, guess I just "gently" nudge her again, it is a rather
                          noticeable sum,
                          Martina

                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
                          > There's an ALS International with an office that looked out on the
                          > World Trade Center and a drop-down list of contacts nation-wide.
                          > Their Blue Book record is mixed - just sometimes slow, basically.
                          >
                          > Judy
                          >

                          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Michael Grant <trans@b...> wrote:
                          > > On Jun 1, 2004, at 8:27 AM, jsyeaton wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > I checked the ATA listing for ALS International (it's public -
                          > you
                          > > > don't need to be a member - www.atanet.org), and they aren't
                          > > > listed. This doesn't mean there's a problem, but I always feel
                          > > > better when I find someone new listed there.
                          > >
                          > > Is this Antiquariat Literary Services in Reston, VA? They're
                          > > solid--I've been working with them for years. But their payment
                          > cycle
                          > > is all over the map--many times they pay early, but occasionally
                          > > something gets lost until you remind them of it. The average
                          > payment
                          > > lag through the end of last year has been 83 days, but it's
                          mostly
                          > > single incident (involving a very small amount) that throws off
                          > the
                          > > average. Just give them a friendly reminder and I'm sure you'll
                          be
                          > OK.
                          > >
                          > > Michael
                          > >
                          > > --
                          > > "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the
                          > dusty
                          > > recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was
                          > vanity: but
                          > > the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their
                          > dream
                          > > with open eyes, to make it possible."
                          > >
                          > > - T.E. Lawrence
                        • Michael Grant
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                            On Jun 1, 2004, at 4:16 PM, Martina Silpoch wrote:

                            > Thanks you all for your input. Slow I can live with:), they wouldn't
                            > be the first ones. To answer the questions - yes, they are in NY City

                            Not the same company I was talking about then.
                            Michael

                            --
                            Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice
                            how restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 13 9:42 AM
                              Ahojte!

                              Chtel bych poprosit o pomoc s pochopením smyslu fragmentu uvedeneho v poli
                              Predmet - jakou roli tu hraje slovo "verses"?
                              Neni o preklep a nema tu byt versus?
                              Trade-offs = neprima zavislost?

                              KONTEXT:
                              For high-speed systems, velocity verses positioning accuracy trade-offs may
                              arise; coarser pitch (lower line count) systems suit high data rates, but
                              finer pitch (higher line count) systems usually provide lower interpolation
                              errors.

                              Diky!

                              Tropen
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 13 9:45 AM