Re: [Czechlist] Re: Moravianisms

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 23 , May 31 11:49 PM
      Melvyn wrote:

      What is Hantec exactly?

      Londoners have their Cockney and "Brn^a'ci" have their Hantec, i.e. an urban
      dialect spoken only in Brno. Half of its vocabs are from German, like in the
      sentence you quoted (therefore I though that you must have heard about it),
      though I doubt whether Germans would understand them these days.
      Recently, another comprehensive dictionary of Hantec was published. At
      present, there is a funny commercial for the Starobrno beer on TV, which
      retells the Czech myth about Premysl Orac and the countess Libuse in Hantec,
      Premysl being a tractor driver and Libuse being a waitress whose tap broke
      down, but Premysl repairs it :-))).
      I think that Hantec is now only a lingustic curiosity and it will soon
      survive only in books and dictionaries.

      > pro'z^ek = beer (probably derived from the process of drawing it into
      glass)
      nebo des^t^ovku?" = lemonade, fizzy drink
      I am quite puzzled too. Can you translate?

      Petr, I have not had the benefit of your linguistic erudition for my latest
      literary creation. My weblog has achieved cult status in Kamenne Zehrovice
      and my mailbox is flooded with rapturous acclaim:

      Erudition would be the very last word I would use to describe my knowledge
      of Czech, but sure, after having spent a whole month on a meaningless WHO's
      report, which sucessfully filled up two hundred pages without actually
      saying anything, I will gladly read anything that tells something.

      >Nechci Ti nejak lichotit, ale pripada mi jako velice dobra prace zkuseneho
      autora
      >Ten zaver je tak hezky
      >myslim si, ze Tvoje povidka by byla vybornou predlohou pro film. Byl by to
      trhak. :-) Kdybych byl filmovy magnat, hned bych si koupil filmova prava.
      >Nadhera, super - Vtipne, dojemne, hezky vypointovane.

      Hmm, if I were the author myself, I would start to feel conceited, provided
      that the comments are true and you didn't make them up yourself.

      Do have a look at my latest story "Drak" when you get a moment and tell me
      how I can improve it linguistically,

      Perhaps even today. :-)))

      and I will willingly work as a serf in your vineyards.

      I will remember this promise very, very carefully. :-)))

      Petr