Agency: Translatus

  • jsyeaton
    Message 1 of 18 , May 31, 2004
      Does anybody know anything about an agency in Prague by the name of
      Translatus?

      (My apologies if this turns out to be a second post: I thought I sent
      it, but it hasn't showed up in an hour or so.)

      Judy
      Message 2 of 18 , May 31, 2004
        They contacted me last week asking me to do a job that was a combination of
        all translator's nightmares: InDesign, TagEditor and a lot of specific
        terminology. They seemed to be a Prague-based firm or maybe a branch of
        somethig abroad, with foreigners-controlled management. And Czech rates, of
        course. Probably a startup - or at least they are entering a business they
        have not tried before. Sorry, no idea about their payment and working
        habits - I have declined the offer.

        hth

        > Does anybody know anything about an agency in Prague by the name of
        > Translatus?
        >
        > (My apologies if this turns out to be a second post: I thought I sent
        > it, but it hasn't showed up in an hour or so.)
        >

        > Judy
        >

        > Worth checking out:
        > http://translationexchange.blogspot.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • ing.Sárka Rubková
        Message 3 of 18 , May 31, 2004
          Hi,

          this agency is listed at the currently valid international list of
          non-paying agencies

          Sarka

          > Does anybody know anything about an agency in Prague by the name of
          > Translatus?
          >
          > (My apologies if this turns out to be a second post: I thought I sent
          > it, but it hasn't showed up in an hour or so.)
          >

          > Judy
          >

          > Worth checking out:
          > http://translationexchange.blogspot.com
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Worth checking out:
          http://translationexchange.blogspot.com
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
            Seconded, I think there's a Russian bloke here, with a strange anglicized
            Russian name, who pretends to run a one-man branch of Translatus, fishing
            for cheap labor to handle good paying jobs from abroad... If memory serves
            well, he tried to get me to handle the coordination (at no margin)....
            wouldn't touch them with a barge pole..

            > They contacted me last week asking me to do a job that was a combination
            of
            > all translator's nightmares: InDesign, TagEditor and a lot of specific
            > terminology. They seemed to be a Prague-based firm or maybe a branch of
            > somethig abroad, with foreigners-controlled management. And Czech rates,
            of
            > course. Probably a startup - or at least they are entering a business they
            > have not tried before. Sorry, no idea about their payment and working
            > habits - I have declined the offer.
            >
            > hth
            > Martin

          • jsyeaton
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
              Hi Sarka,

              That's interesting - where did you find it, Blue Board? (I forgot to
              check).

              Judy

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "ing.Sárka Rubková" <rubkova@l...>

            • jsyeaton
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus" <czechlist@t...
                > wrote:
                > Seconded, I think there's a Russian bloke here, with a strange
                anglicized
                > Russian name,

                Shelley Leighton??

                who pretends to run a one-man branch of Translatus, fishing
                > for cheap labor to handle good paying jobs from abroad... If memory
                serves
                > well, he tried to get me to handle the coordination (at no margin)..
                ..
                > wouldn't touch them with a barge pole..

                This is beginning to sound almost interesting enough to take - for the
                potential value as story material (which I'll offer to Melvyn at an
                exorbitant rate, once he's picked up by some film company). Or maybe
                Michael Moore? The world may be ready for a horror movie about the
                translation industry.

                Judy

              • ing.Sárka Rubková
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                  The Union of Interpreters and Translators has a paid access to such page and
                  it publishes this list from time to time in the JTP Bulletin

                  wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > this agency is listed at the currently valid international list of
                  > non-paying agencies
                  >
                  > Sarka

                • Martina Silpoch
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                    Just noticed they have 2 interpreting jobs (location -Germany)posted
                    on ProZ and it doesn't look like people are very much interested.
                    And BTW do any of you have any experience (or is it experiences?)
                    with ALS International in the US? Especially their payment
                    practices...4-6 weeks is going into week 9...
                    Martina

                    wrote:
                    > The Union of Interpreters and Translators has a paid access to such
                    page and
                    > it publishes this list from time to time in the JTP Bulletin
                    >
                    > sarka

                  • jsyeaton
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                      I checked the ATA listing for ALS International (it's public - you
                      don't need to be a member - www.atanet.org), and they aren't
                      listed. This doesn't mean there's a problem, but I always feel
                      better when I find someone new listed there.

                      From their website, this looks more like a collection of individual
                      translators than an agency as such. I've worked with some people
                      under such arrangements who paid with almost embarrassing
                      promptness, but the smaller - and more undercapitalized - the
                      company, the more apt it is to have financial problems.

                      Judy

                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mihail Mihaylov" <mmtrans@n...>
                      wrote:
                      > Be sure they will pay. Just write directly to their acc. dept -
                      Ms. Susan

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                        Their BlueBoard record does not look like nice either....

                        > The Union of Interpreters and Translators has a paid access to such page
                        and
                        > it publishes this list from time to time in the JTP Bulletin
                        >
                        > sarka

                      • Mihail Mihaylov
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004

                          wrote:
                          > The Union of Interpreters and Translators has a paid access to such
                          page and
                          > it publishes this list from time to time in the JTP Bulletin
                          >
                          > sarka

                        • Michael Grant
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                            On Jun 1, 2004, at 8:27 AM, jsyeaton wrote:

                            > I checked the ATA listing for ALS International (it's public - you
                            > don't need to be a member - www.atanet.org), and they aren't
                            > listed. This doesn't mean there's a problem, but I always feel
                            > better when I find someone new listed there.

                            Is this Antiquariat Literary Services in Reston, VA? They're
                            solid--I've been working with them for years. But their payment cycle
                            is all over the map--many times they pay early, but occasionally
                            something gets lost until you remind them of it. The average payment
                            lag through the end of last year has been 83 days, but it's mostly a
                            single incident (involving a very small amount) that throws off the
                            average. Just give them a friendly reminder and I'm sure you'll be OK.

                            Michael

                            --
                            "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty
                            recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but

                            - T.E. Lawrence
                          • jsyeaton
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                              There's an ALS International with an office that looked out on the
                              World Trade Center and a drop-down list of contacts nation-wide.
                              Their Blue Book record is mixed - just sometimes slow, basically.

                              Judy

                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Michael Grant <trans@b...> wrote:
                              > On Jun 1, 2004, at 8:27 AM, jsyeaton wrote:
                              >
                              > > I checked the ATA listing for ALS International (it's public -
                              you
                              > > don't need to be a member - www.atanet.org), and they aren't
                              > > listed. This doesn't mean there's a problem, but I always feel
                              > > better when I find someone new listed there.
                              >
                              > Is this Antiquariat Literary Services in Reston, VA? They're
                              > solid--I've been working with them for years. But their payment
                              cycle
                              > is all over the map--many times they pay early, but occasionally
                              > something gets lost until you remind them of it. The average
                              payment
                              > lag through the end of last year has been 83 days, but it's mostly
                              > single incident (involving a very small amount) that throws off
                              the
                              > average. Just give them a friendly reminder and I'm sure you'll be
                              OK.

                              > Michael
                              >
                              > --
                              > "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the
                              dusty
                              > recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was
                              vanity: but
                              > the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their
                              dream
                              > with open eyes, to make it possible."
                              >
                              > - T.E. Lawrence
                            • Martina Silpoch
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                                Thanks you all for your input. Slow I can live with:), they wouldn't
                                be the first ones. To answer the questions - yes, they are in NY City
                                and the manager I dealt with seemed quite decent. Her name is Latisha
                                Gordon, guess I just "gently" nudge her again, it is a rather
                                noticeable sum,
                                Martina

                                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
                                > There's an ALS International with an office that looked out on the
                                > World Trade Center and a drop-down list of contacts nation-wide.
                                > Their Blue Book record is mixed - just sometimes slow, basically.
                                >
                                > Judy
                                >

                                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Michael Grant <trans@b...> wrote:
                                > > On Jun 1, 2004, at 8:27 AM, jsyeaton wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > I checked the ATA listing for ALS International (it's public -
                                > you
                                > > > don't need to be a member - www.atanet.org), and they aren't
                                > > > listed. This doesn't mean there's a problem, but I always feel
                                > > > better when I find someone new listed there.
                                > >
                                > > Is this Antiquariat Literary Services in Reston, VA? They're
                                > > solid--I've been working with them for years. But their payment
                                > cycle
                                > > is all over the map--many times they pay early, but occasionally
                                > > something gets lost until you remind them of it. The average
                                > payment
                                > > lag through the end of last year has been 83 days, but it's
                                mostly
                                > > single incident (involving a very small amount) that throws off
                                > the
                                > > average. Just give them a friendly reminder and I'm sure you'll
                                be
                                > OK.
                                > >
                                > > Michael
                                > >
                                > > --
                                > > "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the
                                > dusty
                                > > recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was
                                > vanity: but
                                > > the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their
                                > dream
                                > > with open eyes, to make it possible."
                                > >
                                > > - T.E. Lawrence
                              • Michael Grant
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 1, 2004
                                  On Jun 1, 2004, at 4:16 PM, Martina Silpoch wrote:

                                  > Thanks you all for your input. Slow I can live with:), they wouldn't
                                  > be the first ones. To answer the questions - yes, they are in NY City

                                  Not the same company I was talking about then.
                                  Michael

                                  --
                                  Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice
                                  how restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 13, 2005
                                    Ahojte!

                                    Chtel bych poprosit o pomoc s pochopením smyslu fragmentu uvedeneho v poli
                                    Predmet - jakou roli tu hraje slovo "verses"?
                                    Neni o preklep a nema tu byt versus?
                                    Trade-offs = neprima zavislost?

                                    KONTEXT:
                                    For high-speed systems, velocity verses positioning accuracy trade-offs may
                                    arise; coarser pitch (lower line count) systems suit high data rates, but
                                    finer pitch (higher line count) systems usually provide lower interpolation
                                    errors.

                                    Diky!

                                    Tropen
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 13, 2005