Re: [Czechlist] Re: REALIA: Anglická vlajka

    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2004
      And he was a Senator, not an Emperor. Not sure at all if he was right...

      Martin
      (Who kept his fingers crossed for Carthago during all his school lessons of
      history till the last Punic War was explained to him.)

      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2004
        > Carthago
        > Carthago
        > Carthago

        Before we get into bad habits: the English name for the city is
        Carthage ('th' as in 'think', 'g' as in 'cabbage').

        Since we're on the subject of cities destroyed by people who
        considered themselves more civilized than the inhabitants, has
        anyone seen the film Troy yet? I assume it's a travesty, but is it
        a good one?

        Simon

        PS Think cabbage!
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2004
          On May 31, 2004, at 12:47 PM, raesim wrote:

          > Since we're on the subject of cities destroyed by people who
          > considered themselves more civilized than the inhabitants, has
          > anyone seen the film Troy yet? I assume it's a travesty, but is it
          > a good one?

          I enjoyed it. Peter O'Toole was superb, Brad Pitt's Achilles is an
          interesting character, and the special effects--especially the shots of
          the Greek fleet at sea--were magnificent. On the downside, Achilles'
          relationship with the captured Trojan priestess was pretty hokey
          (though she does have one great line), as was Orlando Bloom reverting
          to Legolas mode in the climactic battle scenes. It's not Art for the
          Ages by any means, but it is entertaining and memorable.

          As for being more civilized, the Trojans come out way ahead in that
          department.

          Michael

          --
          Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice
          how restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2004
            On Monday, May 31, 2004, at 01:47 PM, raesim wrote:

            > Since we're on the subject of cities destroyed by people who
            > considered themselves more civilized than the inhabitants, has
            > anyone seen the film Troy yet?  I assume it's a travesty, but is it
            > a good one?

            I haven't seen it myself, but I keep getting reports that it's actually
            a good travesty, and some claim it's good and not a travesty at all.

            > PS  Think cabbage!

            Or if you can't pronounce TH, just say "cartage".

          • jsyeaton
            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2004
              We cheered for the Romans because they were a Republic (like us), and
              therefore the Good Guys. My Latin stopped in the 3rd year, with
              Cicero and the end of the Republic and the beginning of the end
              (official US version of Roman history). The moral was republics were
              tricky and historically had not done well and we were to grow up and
              be good citizens and not to flinch from doing the right, hard, thing.
              Of course, the economic results of the 2nd Punic War probably did as
              much as anything to ruin the Republic, eventually. When I read the
              abridged version of the Decline and Fall I was astounded to learn that
              the Empire was probably - during the reign of the 5 Good Emperors - a
              better place to live, for more people, than the Republic had been,
              which shows you the power of names.

            • ing.Sárka Rubková
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
                Me too