RE: [Czechlist] Unclear sentence

  • Jakubova, Martina
    Message 1 of 27 , May 5, 2004
      cizí nebo vlastní zdroje,
      equity je vlastní kapitál, cizí zdroje se prekládají ruzne, napríklad jako
      ten debt...

      The information in this email is confidential and may be
      legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.
      Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.
      If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
      copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be
      taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
      When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice
      contained in this email are subject to the terms and
      conditions expressed in the governing KPMG client
      engagement letter.
    • Petr Veselý
      Message 2 of 27 , May 5, 2004
        Hi,

        Does anybody understand what is meant by "sources of debt and equity" in the
        sentence below?
        To me, it seems like a weird way how to say "dluznici a akcionari", but I am
        not sure and the text does not offer more context.

        "Financing Plan including names of sources of debt and equity to be sought
        or already identified, contribution of each, and status of commitment"

        Any idea appreciated.
        Petr
      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 27 , May 5, 2004
          veritele, spise nez dluznici...

          ti, co nam pujci a ti co do nas budou investovat

          > Does anybody understand what is meant by "sources of debt and equity" in
          the
          > sentence below?
          > To me, it seems like a weird way how to say "dluznici a akcionari", but I
          am
          > not sure and the text does not offer more context.
          >
          > "Financing Plan including names of sources of debt and equity to be sought
          > or already identified, contribution of each, and status of commitment"
          >
          > Any idea appreciated.
          > Petr
          >

          > Czechlist Translator Database:
          > http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslators
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Helga Humlova
          Message 4 of 27 , May 5, 2004
            Petre,

            Podle toho co pise ZAHN bych typovala, ze "source of dept and equity" je
            "pramen" tech to prostredku. To znamena odkud pochazeji, v pripade "debt"
            kdo poskytl uver/hypoteku v pripade "equity" odkud je priliv penez.

            Helga

            Message 5 of 27 , May 5, 2004
              > veritele, spise nez dluznici...
              >
              > ti, co nam pujci a ti co do nas budou investovat

              You're right, "veritele" is the word that fits there.

              Thanks
              Petr

              > > Does anybody understand what is meant by "sources of debt and equity" in
              > the
              > > sentence below?
              > > To me, it seems like a weird way how to say "dluznici a akcionari", but
              > am
              > > not sure and the text does not offer more context.
              > >
              > > "Financing Plan including names of sources of debt and equity to be
              sought
              > > or already identified, contribution of each, and status of commitment"
              > >
              > > Any idea appreciated.
              > > Petr

            • Petr Veselý
              Message 6 of 27 , May 5, 2004
                ,

                > Podle toho co pise ZAHN bych typovala, ze "source of dept and equity" je
                > "pramen" tech to prostredku. To znamena odkud pochazeji, v pripade "debt"
                > kdo poskytl uver/hypoteku v pripade "equity" odkud je priliv penez.

                Takze se shodneme, ze "source of dept" znamena, u koho se zadluzime, kdo nam
                da uver = veritele, a "source of equity" zanamena, kdo nam poskytne kapital
                zakoupenim akcií = akcionari.
                Asi to nakonec necham jako "zdroje uveru a akcioveho kapitalu", to slovo
                zdroje se tam pak vickrat opakuje, tak at ctenar vi, ceho se to tyka.

                Diky Helgo

                Petr
              • Helga Humlova
                Message 7 of 27 , May 5, 2004
                  Ano, tak bych to take videla.
                  H.

                  Message 8 of 27 , May 5, 2004
                    > cizí nebo vlastní zdroje,
                    > equity je vlastní kapitál, cizí zdroje se prekládají ruzne, napríklad jako
                    > ten debt...

                    Coz je podle me jinymi slovy totez jako kdyz reknu "zdroje uveru a akcioveho
                    kapitalu", jen obecnejsi a mlhavejsi.

                    Petr

                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > Does anybody understand what is meant by "sources of debt and
                    > > equity" in the
                    > > sentence below?
                    > > To me, it seems like a weird way how to say "dluznici a
                    > > akcionari", but I am
                    > > not sure and the text does not offer more context.
                    > >
                    > > "Financing Plan including names of sources of debt and equity
                    > > to be sought
                    > > or already identified, contribution of each, and status of commitment"
                    > >
                    > > Any idea appreciated.
                    > > Petr

                    > > ---------------------~-->
                    > > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
                    > > Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
                    > > US & Canada.
                    > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/EaOolB/TM

                    **
                    > The information in this email is confidential and may be
                    > legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.
                    > Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.
                    > If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
                    > copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be
                    > taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
                    > When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice
                    > contained in this email are subject to the terms and
                    > conditions expressed in the governing KPMG client
                    > engagement letter.

                    **

                    > Czechlist Translator Database:
                    > http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslators
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Jan Culka
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                      D�v� v�m to n�komu smysl, pros�m? Jednotliv� slova jsou jasn�, ale co znamenaj� ty hodnoty od 30 do 150?

                      "a layer with a 60� specular gloss of 30 to 150 at its surface"

                      D�ky p�edem, Honza

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                        Neni to nahodou uhel, v nemz je ten zrcadlovy lesk videt? Jako
                        pozorovaci uhel displeje? Bylo by to 60° na kazdou stranu.

                        Martin

                        Jan Culka napsal(a):
                        > Dává vám to někomu smysl, prosím? Jednotlivá slova jsou jasná, ale co znamenají ty hodnoty od 30 do 150?
                        >
                        > "a layer with a 60° specular gloss of 30 to 150 at its surface"
                        >
                        > Díky předem, Honza

                      • Jan Culka
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                          Asi máš pravdu, díky.

                          > Neni to nahodou uhel, v nemz je ten zrcadlovy lesk videt? Jako
                          > pozorovaci uhel displeje? Bylo by to 60° na kazdou stranu.
                          >
                          > Martin
                          >

                          > Jan Culka napsal(a):
                          >> Dává vám to někomu smysl, prosím? Jednotlivá slova jsou jasná, ale co
                          >> znamenají ty hodnoty od 30 do 150?
                          >>
                          >> "a layer with a 60° specular gloss of 30 to 150 at its surface"
                          >>
                          >> Díky předem, Honza

                        • grabanrad
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 28, 2010
                            Could anybody help me to make the sense out of the following sentence?
                            It's refering to psychatric report where the psychiatrist concluded that
                            Ms Y does not suffer from any mental disorder or learning difficulties,
                            but with regard to personality disorder...

                            "Dr X concluded that the matter of a personality order would require
                            further investigation, but advised that professionals should pay
                            particular attention to Ms Y's mood, emotional expression due to an
                            abnormal pattern of behaviour which may or not be present that is
                            pervasive and maladaptive to a broad range of personal and social
                            situations."

                            I just can't get my head around it.

                            TIA

                          • Melvyn
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 28, 2010
                              Hi Rad,

                              It sounds to me like impromptu (dictated?) speech rather than a carefully thought-out sentence from an authoritative text. First he says something might not exist and then he goes into detail over what might not exist. Bane of our job - an original that already sounds like a bad translation. I would loosely rephrase it this way:

                              Dr X concluded that the question of a personality order would require further investigation, but he advised professionals to pay particular attention to Ms Y's moods and emotional expressions because of a possible abnormal behavioural pattern that is pervasive (i.e. that pervades her behaviour/personality etc) and is not well adapted to a wide spectrum of personal and social situations.

                              Any clearer?

                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "grabanrad" <grabanrad@...> wrote:

                              > Could anybody help me to make the sense out of the following sentence?
                              > It's refering to psychatric report where the psychiatrist concluded that
                              > Ms Y does not suffer from any mental disorder or learning difficulties,
                              > but with regard to personality disorder...
                              >
                              > "Dr X concluded that the matter of a personality order would require
                              > further investigation, but advised that professionals should pay
                              > particular attention to Ms Y's mood, emotional expression due to an
                              > abnormal pattern of behaviour which may or not be present that is
                              > pervasive and maladaptive to a broad range of personal and social
                              > situations."
                              >
                              > I just can't get my head around it.
                              >
                              > TIA

                            • zora.jackman
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 28, 2010

                                >First he says something might not exist and then he goes into detail over what might not exist.

                                I think the confusion may possibly be caused by the term "present" - in this case it could mean that the pattern may or may not always show, a bit like symptoms of an illness: they may or may not be present.
                                ZORA

                                It sounds to me like impromptu (dictated?) speech rather than a carefully thought-out sentence from an authoritative text. Bane of our job - an original that already sounds like a bad translation. I would loosely rephrase it this way:

                                > Dr X concluded that the question of a personality order would require further investigation, but he advised professionals to pay particular attention to Ms Y's moods and emotional expressions because of a possible abnormal behavioural pattern that is pervasive (i.e. that pervades her behaviour/personality etc) and is not well adapted to a wide spectrum of personal and social situations.
                                >
                                > Any clearer?
                                >
                                > BR
                                >
                                > M.
                                >

                                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "grabanrad" <grabanrad@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Could anybody help me to make the sense out of the following sentence?
                                > > It's refering to psychatric report where the psychiatrist concluded that
                                > > Ms Y does not suffer from any mental disorder or learning difficulties,
                                > > but with regard to personality disorder...
                                > >
                                > > "Dr X concluded that the matter of a personality order would require
                                > > further investigation, but advised that professionals should pay
                                > > particular attention to Ms Y's mood, emotional expression due to an
                                > > abnormal pattern of behaviour which may or not be present that is
                                > > pervasive and maladaptive to a broad range of personal and social
                                > > situations."
                                > >
                                > > I just can't get my head around it.
                                > >
                                > > TIA

                              • grabanrad
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 29, 2010
                                  Thanks Melvyn and Zora (off the list),

                                  Yes, it does make more sense now, but I still think the author is crap
                                  writer. [:)]

                                  Rad

                                  > Hi Rad,
                                  >
                                  > It sounds to me like impromptu (dictated?) speech rather than a
                                  carefully thought-out sentence from an authoritative text. First he says
                                  something might not exist and then he goes into detail over what might
                                  not exist. Bane of our job - an original that already sounds like a bad
                                  translation. I would loosely rephrase it this way:

                                  > Dr X concluded that the question of a personality order would require
                                  further investigation, but he advised professionals to pay particular
                                  attention to Ms Y's moods and emotional expressions because of a
                                  possible abnormal behavioural pattern that is pervasive (i.e. that
                                  pervades her behaviour/personality etc) and is not well adapted to a
                                  wide spectrum of personal and social situations.

                                  > Any clearer?
                                  >
                                  > BR
                                  >
                                  > M.
                                  >

                                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "grabanrad" grabanrad@ wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Could anybody help me to make the sense out of the following
                                  sentence?
                                  > > It's refering to psychatric report where the psychiatrist concluded
                                  that
                                  > > Ms Y does not suffer from any mental disorder or learning
                                  difficulties,
                                  > > but with regard to personality disorder...
                                  > >
                                  > > "Dr X concluded that the matter of a personality order would require
                                  > > further investigation, but advised that professionals should pay
                                  > > particular attention to Ms Y's mood, emotional expression due to an
                                  > > abnormal pattern of behaviour which may or not be present that is
                                  > > pervasive and maladaptive to a broad range of personal and social
                                  > > situations."
                                  > >
                                  > > I just can't get my head around it.
                                  > >
                                  > > TIA

                                • Hana Jarolímová
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
                                    Ahoj, jak mam prosim chapat tu druhou vetu? Jsou to polozky v kontrole
                                    provadene v autoservisu. Wreckers jsou ti, kdo vykradaji vraky, nebo ti,
                                    kdo odtahuji vraky? A co s tim ma spolecneho ta plastova folie????

                                    Diky moc vsem (a docela to specha, takze budu obzvlaste vdecna za rychle
                                    reakce)

                                    Hanka

                                    Are cars with broken windows stored behind fence, not accessible for the
                                    public, at night time? Do wreckers have access to plastic film at night
                                    time?
                                  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
                                      Ahoj, Hano!
                                      Já bych to chápal tak, že wreckers jsou ti chapci z odtahové služby a dotaz zní, jestli se mohou i v noci dostat k plastové fólii, (kterou použijí pravděpodobně k přelepení rozbitého skla).
                                      S pozdravem,
                                      Jarda

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
                                        The wreckers are probably the guys who tow away the cars, as mentioned. Sometimes wrecker refers to the tow truck itself.

                                        Jarda's explanation of the plastic film is as good as any. It makes sense to me.

                                        Jamie

                                        On Oct 2, 2011, at 9:44 AM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

                                        > Ahoj, Hano!
                                        > Já bych to chápal tak, že wreckers jsou ti chapci z odtahové služby a dotaz zní, jestli se mohou i v noci dostat k plastové fólii, (kterou použijí pravděpodobně k přelepení rozbitého skla).
                                        > S pozdravem,
                                        > Jarda

                                      • Simon
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
                                          That seems the most likely explanation to me, too.

                                          Simon

                                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <jaroslav.hejzlar@...> wrote:

                                          > Ahoj, Hano!
                                          > Já bych to chápal tak, že wreckers jsou ti chapci z odtahové služby a dotaz zní, jestli se mohou i v noci dostat k plastové fólii, (kterou použijí pravděpodobně k přelepení rozbitého skla).
                                          > S pozdravem,
                                          > Jarda

                                        • Hana Jarolímová
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
                                            Asi jo, to dava smysl! Diky moc.

                                            Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

                                            >Ahoj, Hano!
                                            >Já bych to chápal tak, že wreckers jsou ti chapci z odtahové služby a dotaz zní, jestli se mohou i v noci dostat k plastové fólii, (kterou použijí pravděpodobně k přelepení rozbitého skla).
                                            >S pozdravem,
                                            >Jarda

                                          • Prekladatelsky servis
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
                                              podle mych slovniku je "wrecker" vyraz mimo jin� pro "odtahove vozidlo",
                                              takze asi spis chlapci z odtahovky nez zlodeji. Ale vychazim pouze ze
                                              slovniku, nikoli z prime vlastn� zkusenosti.

                                              Iveta

                                              _____

                                              J� bych to ch�pal tak, �e wreckers jsou ti chapci z odtahov� slu�by a dotaz
                                              zn�, jestli se mohou i v noci dostat k plastov� f�lii, (kterou pou�ij�
                                              pravd�podobn� k p�elepen� rozbit�ho skla).
                                              S pozdravem,
                                              Jarda

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
                                                jeste jednou diky vsem (kdo stejne jako ja v nedeli trci u pocitace...)
                                              • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
                                                  Dear listmates!
                                                  I am translating a text on teeth whitening. It is quite straightforward, but now I have come across a sentence that is completely unclear to me. It says: “Brush-on or wear in your trays four minutes prior to and after whitening your teeth.”
                                                  The term “tray” refers to a special applicator that is filled with the bleaching gel and worn on your teeth for a prescribed period of time every day for about a fortnight.
                                                  That is why the sentence above does not seem to make sense: how can you wear the tray four minutes BEFORE and AFTER whitening? Do they mean that you wear it empty, without the whitening gel? Or how do you understand it?
                                                  Thanks a lot for any clues.
                                                  Best regards,
                                                  Jarda

                                                • Melvyn
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
                                                    Jarda, I can only agree with you that there is something odd about this sentence. Perhaps the author simply got confused. Happens all the time in the texts I deal with for my sins.

                                                    The only explanation that I can come up with is that "wear in" has the sense of rozslapnout nove boty (wear in) or zabehnout nove auto (run in) here. Just as one has to wear in new jeans, tyres and dentures, so perhaps you have to get your new tray to fit comfortably just before and after whitening. Just an idea. Not quite sure how it fits in with "brush-on".

                                                    BR

                                                    Melvyn

                                                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" wrote:

                                                    > Dear listmates!
                                                    > I am translating a text on teeth whitening. It is quite straightforward, but now I have come across a sentence that is completely unclear to me. It says: “Brush-on or wear in your trays four minutes prior to and after whitening your teeth.”
                                                    > The term “tray” refers to a special applicator that is filled with the bleaching gel and worn on your teeth for a prescribed period of time every day for about a fortnight.
                                                    > That is why the sentence above does not seem to make sense: how can you wear the tray four minutes BEFORE and AFTER whitening? Do they mean that you wear it empty, without the whitening gel? Or how do you understand it?
                                                    > Thanks a lot for any clues.
                                                    > Best regards,
                                                    > Jarda

                                                  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
                                                      Hello, Melvyn!
                                                      Thank you for your insight about the “wear in” part. Have you any idea what the “brush-on” part could mean (even without taking any context into consideration)?
                                                      Jarda

                                                      --- In mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" wrote:

                                                      > Dear listmates!
                                                      > I am translating a text on teeth whitening. It is quite straightforward, but now I have come across a sentence that is completely unclear to me. It says: “Brush-on or wear in your trays four minutes prior to and after whitening your teeth.”
                                                      > The term “tray” refers to a special applicator that is filled with the bleaching gel and worn on your teeth for a prescribed period of time every day for about a fortnight.
                                                      > That is why the sentence above does not seem to make sense: how can you wear the tray four minutes BEFORE and AFTER whitening? Do they mean that you wear it empty, without the whitening gel? Or how do you understand it?
                                                      > Thanks a lot for any clues.
                                                      > Best regards,
                                                      > Jarda

                                                    • Melvyn
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
                                                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" wrote:

                                                        > Hello, Melvyn!
                                                        > Thank you for your insight about the “wear in” part. Have you any idea what the “brush-on” part could mean (even without taking any context into consideration)?

                                                        I can only guess. Perhaps you have a choice between EITHER brushing the bleach on your teeth just as you might brush on toothpaste OR using the tray (which needs to be worn in over time) to apply the bleach to your teeth.

                                                        Gonna need welding goggles to look at yourself in the mirror.

                                                        BR

                                                        Melvyn
                                                      • (no author)
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jan 16, 2013
                                                          Melvyn> I can only guess. Perhaps you have a choice between EITHER
                                                          brushing the bleach on your teeth just as you might brush on toothpaste
                                                          OR using the tray ...

                                                          That would be my understanding.. , but I think the wear-in part could
                                                          be an attempt at saying somethng like 'wear the gel on your teeth in
                                                          the tray/using the tray' .. a bit clumsy, I know, but that's the only
                                                          thing I can imagine..

                                                          So yes, it's either brush the whitening gel on or put it in the tray
                                                          and "wear" that... as for five minutes before and after *whitening*
                                                          your teeth, I think they were meaning to say before and after
                                                          *brushing* your teeth (with ordinary toothpaste) - that's usually the
                                                          way these things are used, I understand..

                                                          Matej