FUN: Czech Machine Translation in Medicine, or Translation Gems

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28 1:28 AM
      Hi folks,

      In my desperate but vain search for some medical terms, I found what appeared - at the first glance - as a neat and long list of English medical acronyms translated into Czech. However, a second look was really worth it:

      AIDS = oblouku licil komplex
      Pazn� vykonstruovan� roztrzka bl�n
      Buchta krev Urea dus�k (really unable to decrypt these two)
      BMC vykostit objem hmoty

      ...and more, you will find at http://wikipedia.infostar.cz/l/li/list_of_medical_abbreviations.html

      Please don't get me wrong: I am sure about good intentions of the authors - but especially in such a sensitive and tricky industry such as medicine, it's probably better to offer nothing than obviously misleading explanation to an innocent, knowledge-searching patient.