Help: some terms

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 22, 2004
      Hi there,
      I'm getting a little bogged down in some ISO-related stuff and I was
      wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the following (not much
      context I'm afraid apart from what's given)

      organizacni rad - a few dictionaries say "Organisation Rules"´- is
      this ok?

      Dohled nad cinnostmi agentury vykonava povereny namestek ministra
      prumyslu a obchodu (dale jen "gescni namestek") - I'm a bit stumped
      on "gescni namestek!. How does "responsible deputy minister/minister
      of state" sound?

      Povereni zastupovanim *do 3 pracovnich dnu* je operativni a je v
      rozsahu odborne pusobnosti zastupovaneho reditele. Pri zastupovani
      delsim nez 3 pracovni dny jde o plnou zastupitelnost v ramci
      zodpovednosti a kompetencíi zastupovaneho. - logic tells me that "do
      3 pracovnich dnu" means "for up to three working days" in this case
      and not "within three working days"...?

      Vedouciho týmu jmenuje GR. GR také stanovi *casovou pusobnost* a cil
      pracovniho tymu - would "timescale" suffice for "casova pusobnost"
      in this instance?

      Odpovida za materialni a IT zabezpeceni - this is where I think I've
      come across one Czech word that encapsualates several in English,
      i.e. would I be right in thinking that "materialni (zabezpeceni) a
      IT zabezpeceni" should be something like "maintenance and supply and
      IT support(security?)"

      "Offsetova" komise - I have found a few hits for "Offset Committee"
      but I am none the wiser as to what it's supposed to be (no further
      context I'm afraid...)

      MTIA for any suggestions you might have.

      Coilin
    • Rubková
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 22, 2004
        Hi Coilin

        organizacni rad - a few dictionaries say "Organisation Rules"´- it is OK

        Gescní namestek - gescni comes from the word "gesce" - "zaruka za provedeni
        , spravnost"

        *do 3 pracovnich dnu* means "for up to three working days" as you put it

        "casova pusobnost" I think it means the timeframe within which the peaple
        are released from their usual work to do the special job.

        "materialni (zabezpeceni) a IT zabezpeceni" means provision of all necessary
        things starting from stationary through furniture and and ending with the IT
        equipmen

        As to the offsetova komise - no real idea, but I would just translate it as
        "offset committee"

        Sarka

        I'm getting a little bogged down in some ISO-related stuff and I was
        wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the following (not much
        context I'm afraid apart from what's given)

        Dohled nad cinnostmi agentury vykonava povereny namestek ministra
        prumyslu a obchodu (dale jen "gescni namestek") - I'm a bit stumped
        on "gescni namestek!. How does "responsible deputy minister/minister
        of state" sound?

        Povereni zastupovanim je operativni a je v
        rozsahu odborne pusobnosti zastupovaneho reditele. Pri zastupovani
        delsim nez 3 pracovni dny jde o plnou zastupitelnost v ramci
        zodpovednosti a kompetencíi zastupovaneho. - logic tells me that "do
        3 pracovnich dnu" in this case
        and not "within three working days"...?

        Vedouciho týmu jmenuje GR. GR také stanovi *casovou pusobnost* a cil
        pracovniho tymu - would "timescale" suffice for
        in this instance?

        Odpovida za materialni a IT zabezpeceni - this is where I think I've
        come across one Czech word that encapsualates several in English,
        i.e. would I be right in thinking that "materialni (zabezpeceni) a
        IT zabezpeceni" should be something like "maintenance and supply and
        IT support(security?)"

        "Offsetova" komise - I have found a few hits for "Offset Committee"
        but I am none the wiser as to what it's supposed to be (no further
        context I'm afraid...)

        MTIA for any suggestions you might have.

        Coilin

        Next Czechlist Prague gathering at Rezava kotva, Detsky ostrov, Thursday
        29th April, starting 5 pm:

        http:// www.rezavakotva.cz

        For directions see:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---
        Pøíchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

        ---
        Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
      • Alena Ockova
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 23, 2004
          Hi Coilin,

          --- coilinoc <coilinoc@...> wrote: > Hi there,

          > organizacni rad - a few dictionaries say
          > "Organisation Rules"´- is
          > this ok?
          yes

          > Dohled nad cinnostmi agentury vykonava povereny
          > namestek ministra
          > prumyslu a obchodu (dale jen "gescni namestek") -
          > I'm a bit stumped
          > on "gescni namestek!. How does "responsible deputy
          > minister/minister
          > of state" sound?
          or deputy minister in charge of ...?

          > Povereni zastupovanim *do 3 pracovnich dnu* je
          > operativni a je v
          > rozsahu odborne pusobnosti zastupovaneho reditele.
          > Pri zastupovani
          > delsim nez 3 pracovni dny jde o plnou zastupitelnost
          > v ramci
          > zodpovednosti a kompetencíi zastupovaneho. - logic
          > tells me that "do
          > 3 pracovnich dnu" means "for up to three working
          > days" in this case
          > and not "within three working days"...?
          = no longer than 3 days

          > Vedouciho týmu jmenuje GR. GR také stanovi *casovou
          > pusobnost* a cil
          > pracovniho tymu - would "timescale" suffice for
          > "casova pusobnost"
          > in this instance?
          how about "term" ...

          > Odpovida za materialni a IT zabezpeceni - this is
          > where I think I've
          > come across one Czech word that encapsualates
          > several in English,
          > i.e. would I be right in thinking that "materialni
          > (zabezpeceni) a
          > IT zabezpeceni" should be something like
          > "maintenance and supply and
          > IT support(security?)"
          rather supply than security in this context

          > "Offsetova" komise - I have found a few hits for
          > "Offset Committee"
          > but I am none the wiser as to what it's supposed to
          > be (no further
          > context I'm afraid...)
          The context (deputy minister of industry and trade)
          suggests that "offset" here would mean offset
          transactions, cross-boarder counterpurchases
          negotiated and made under some large contracts signed
          by goverment, army etc. As the rules are very strict
          an "Offset Committe" would likely be established at
          the type of organisation you are dealing with.

          HTH
          Alena

        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 23, 2004
            Hi Coilin, another case of heavy blah blah, I'm affraid!

            I'm not an expert, but then I guess nobody is, and IMHO anthing reasonably
            sounding and not too far from the "real" (not the blah-blah) meaning in
            Czech will be Ok here... I'll try to help with the Czech meaning, I'm sure
            you can do the English...

            organizacni rad - a few dictionaries say "Organisation Rules"´- is
            this ok?

            Sounds a bit Czenglish, or at least outdated/Eurospeak to me, but if it's OK
            with you, no probs, would help if you knew what exactly these rules regulate
            and then you could come up with some English buzzword for that... as it is,
            if Organisational rules make it past your NS ear without twitching, it's OK

            Dohled nad cinnostmi agentury vykonava povereny namestek ministra
            prumyslu a obchodu (dale jen "gescni namestek") - I'm a bit stumped
            on "gescni namestek!. How does "responsible deputy minister/minister
            of state" sound?

            I think that sounds good, certainly better than anything any dictionary will
            give you
            gescni comes from gestor, someone who is responsible/guarantees that
            something will be done, a very good example of creative translation that
            makes sense as opposed to literal, IMHO

            Povereni zastupovanim *do 3 pracovnich dnu* je operativni a je v
            rozsahu odborne pusobnosti zastupovaneho reditele. Pri zastupovani
            delsim nez 3 pracovni dny jde o plnou zastupitelnost v ramci
            zodpovednosti a kompetencíi zastupovaneho. - logic tells me that "do
            3 pracovnich dnu" means "for up to three working days" in this case
            and not "within three working days"...?

            That's what it means in Czech even if logic doesn't tell you so...

            Vedouciho týmu jmenuje GR. GR také stanovi *casovou pusobnost* a cil
            pracovniho tymu - would "timescale" suffice for "casova pusobnost"
            in this instance?

            I think so, time schedule, period of xxx, and other things may be
            apossibility too...

            Odpovida za materialni a IT zabezpeceni - this is where I think I've
            come across one Czech word that encapsualates several in English,
            i.e. would I be right in thinking that "materialni (zabezpeceni) a
            IT zabezpeceni" should be something like "maintenance and supply and
            IT support(security?)"

            Depends on what are we talking about, if there's absolutely no context, then
            your assumption is not 100% safe... to me, this also sounds (for instance)
            as follows:

            Materialni zabezpeceni can be anything, if they're organizing a press
            cvonference and a "raut", for example, this person could be responsible for
            supplying It equipment and making sure it works, and has all consummebles
            necessary, BUT ALSO for supplying chairs for the press, tables for the
            presenters, a screen to project in, possible aven the "chlebicky" at the do
            afterwards... it can be anything...

            Since they're suggesting a difference between IT and materialni, and if
            there's absolutely no other hints as to what might be included or for what
            purpose it is to be provided, I would guess that it was something "low tech"
            they had in mind... the chairs and tables, for example... but that's only a
            guess, try something as "gumove" as this (IMHO) is

            "Offsetova" komise - I have found a few hits for "Offset Committee"
            but I am none the wiser as to what it's supposed to be (no further
            context I'm afraid...)

            Well, clearly that would be a penel of corrupted politicians deciding what
            side projects (that would earn them and their family members/friends
            fortunes) are to be implemented by a big foreign corporation the Czech state
            has bought something from - When BAE/Saab was supposed to supply us with the
            infamous Gripen fighters that were no good and would cost us more than
            anything else, and wouldn't be ours either, the deal involved a few billions
            in "offsetove programy"... most of which will no doubt result in nice little
            tunnels in the hands of friends of the party in power at the time of
            implementation... this must be the pannel deciding what they'lll be, etc.,
            I'll let you decide whether offset is the word to be used in English... (it
            should be, as it was taken into Czech from it, but then that doesn't
            garantee the right meaning)

            Matej
          • Jaroslav Hejzlar
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 23, 2004
              Hi, Coilin!
              See the following address for hints what "offsetova komise" might be:
              http://www.techtydenik.cz/stranky/2001/6/panor1.html
              HIH.
              Jarda

              I'm getting a little bogged down in some ISO-related stuff and I was
              wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the following (not much
              context I'm afraid apart from what's given)

              organizacni rad - a few dictionaries say "Organisation Rules"�- is
              this ok?

              Dohled nad cinnostmi agentury vykonava povereny namestek ministra
              prumyslu a obchodu (dale jen "gescni namestek") - I'm a bit stumped
              on "gescni namestek!. How does "responsible deputy minister/minister
              of state" sound?

              Povereni zastupovanim *do 3 pracovnich dnu* je operativni a je v
              rozsahu odborne pusobnosti zastupovaneho reditele. Pri zastupovani
              delsim nez 3 pracovni dny jde o plnou zastupitelnost v ramci
              zodpovednosti a kompetenc�i zastupovaneho. - logic tells me that "do
              3 pracovnich dnu" means "for up to three working days" in this case
              and not "within three working days"...?

              Vedouciho t�mu jmenuje GR. GR tak� stanovi *casovou pusobnost* a cil
              pracovniho tymu - would "timescale" suffice for "casova pusobnost"
              in this instance?

              Odpovida za materialni a IT zabezpeceni - this is where I think I've
              come across one Czech word that encapsualates several in English,
              i.e. would I be right in thinking that "materialni (zabezpeceni) a
              IT zabezpeceni" should be something like "maintenance and supply and
              IT support(security?)"

              "Offsetova" komise - I have found a few hits for "Offset Committee"
              but I am none the wiser as to what it's supposed to be (no further
              context I'm afraid...)

              MTIA for any suggestions you might have.

              Coilin

              Next Czechlist Prague gathering at Rezava kotva, Detsky ostrov, Thursday
              29th April, starting 5 pm:

              http:// www.rezavakotva.cz

              For directions see:

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • coilinoc
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 30 1:56 AM
                Hi there, I'm doing some "funny" biogs in conversational Czech for an
                obnoxious lifestyle magazine, and there's one or two things I'd like
                to ask some nejtivspikrs about, if they have the time:

                V 19ti jsem letel spolecne s mym kamaradem Erichem do Ameriky. Koupili
                jsme si pausalni letenky spolecnosti CAPITAL AIRWAYS a litali jsme po
                cele Americe.
                Does anyone know exactly what a "pausalni letenka" would be called in
                English?

                Ona vubec dodnes dobre snasi vsechny moje omyly
                Could someone explain to me what exactly "vubec" means here?

                Krom tenisu jsem se temer s nadsenim zucastnovala kazdeho zavodu
                typu „Branny zavod o dukelsky samopal" pro male jiskry a pionyry."
                I presume this is something anyone who had a Czech communist
                upbringing is familiar with, but could anyone perhaps explain to me in
                English what the person is talking about?

                Pøestože byla moje mamka ucitelka, nejvetsi vliv na mne mel otec. Jeho
                suche, ironicke komentare jsem si velmi rychle osvojila. A take jsem
                snad nikdy nebrecela.
                The "snad" in the last sentence bothers me.(Snad is a word like akorat
                in that I never really know what it means). Does she mean "And I
                hardly ever cried as well."

                Ucitele se na mne proto zlobili a stezovali si, ze jsem flegmatik.
                Nechtela jsem se totiz hlasit, ze znam spravnou odpoved.
                I can't imagine a teacher ever calling a schoolkid a phlegmatic person
                in English. And I don¨t understand why not admitting to knowing the
                right answer is "phlegmatic". Could someone please explain to me what
                she's trying to say?

                MTIA
                Coilin
              • Jarda
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30 2:24 AM
                  Coilin wrote:

                  > Ona vubec dodnes dobre snasi vsechny moje omyly
                  > Could someone explain to me what exactly "vubec" means here?

                  Probably it could be rendered just as "generally".

                  > Krom tenisu jsem se temer s nadsenim zucastnovala kazdeho zavodu
                  > typu "Branny zavod o dukelsky samopal" pro male jiskry a pionyry."
                  > I presume this is something anyone who had a Czech communist
                  > upbringing is familiar with, but could anyone perhaps explain to me in
                  > English what the person is talking about?

                  The battle of Dukla was one of the biggest and most severe battles during the terminal phase of WW2, taking place in the region of Dukla mountain pass in Slovakia. As far as I can remember, branny zavod was a type of competition combining running, shooting, throwing a fake grenade, and maybe some other "civil defence" activities incl. providing first aid to an injured person, etc. Pionyr (Pioneer) was a commie organization for children and Jiskry (Sparks?) were infant Pioneers-to-be. Dukelsky samopal is a type of prize (or just an achievement certificate) with the picture of a submachine gun having the connotation of being the representation of the tradition of the soldiers who fought for our freedom in the battle of Dukla (sorry, I don't know how to expres it more precisely).

                  > Prestoze byla moje mamka ucitelka, nejvetsi vliv na mne mel otec. Jeho
                  > suche, ironicke komentare jsem si velmi rychle osvojila. A take jsem
                  > snad nikdy nebrecela.
                  > The "snad" in the last sentence bothers me.(Snad is a word like akorat
                  > in that I never really know what it means). Does she mean "And I
                  > hardly ever cried as well."

                  It seems to me that it could mean something like: "as far as I can remeber" or "if I remeber it well".

                  > Ucitele se na mne proto zlobili a stezovali si, ze jsem flegmatik.
                  > Nechtela jsem se totiz hlasit, ze znam spravnou odpoved.
                  > I can't imagine a teacher ever calling a schoolkid a phlegmatic person
                  > in English. And I don¨t understand why not admitting to knowing the
                  > right answer is "phlegmatic". Could someone please explain to me what
                  > she's trying to say?

                  "Flegmous", "salámista" etc. are just some expressions you can use to describe somebody who is lazy, doesn't care about school and whom teachers hardly manage to make do anything or express his/her feelings, etc.

                  HTH,

                  Jarda

                • Petr Veselý
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 30 2:40 AM
                    V 19ti jsem letel spolecne s mym kamaradem Erichem do Ameriky. Koupili
                    jsme si pausalni letenky spolecnosti CAPITAL AIRWAYS a litali jsme po
                    cele Americe.
                    Does anyone know exactly what a "pausalni letenka" would be called in
                    English?

                    Just to complete Jarda's exhaustive explanation, I believe it as a kind of
                    ticket for a specific period of time (during which you can take as many
                    flights as you wish) rather than for a specific flight.

                    Petr
                  • coilinoc
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 30 2:47 AM
                      Thanks a lot, Jarda.
                      BTW, how does "multi-destination" ticket sound for "pausalni
                      letenka"?
                      Coilin

                      > Coilin wrote:
                      >

                      > > Ona vubec dodnes dobre snasi vsechny moje omyly
                      > > Could someone explain to me what exactly "vubec" means here?
                      >
                      > Probably it could be rendered just as "generally".
                      >
                      > > Krom tenisu jsem se temer s nadsenim zucastnovala kazdeho
                      zavodu
                      > > typu "Branny zavod o dukelsky samopal" pro male jiskry a
                      pionyry."
                      > > I presume this is something anyone who had a Czech communist
                      > > upbringing is familiar with, but could anyone perhaps explain
                      to me in
                      > > English what the person is talking about?
                      >
                      > The battle of Dukla was one of the biggest and most severe
                      battles during the terminal phase of WW2, taking place in the region
                      of Dukla mountain pass in Slovakia. As far as I can remember, branny
                      zavod was a type of competition combining running, shooting,
                      throwing a fake grenade, and maybe some other "civil defence"
                      activities incl. providing first aid to an injured person, etc.
                      Pionyr (Pioneer) was a commie organization for children and Jiskry
                      (Sparks?) were infant Pioneers-to-be. Dukelsky samopal is a type of
                      prize (or just an achievement certificate) with the picture of a
                      submachine gun having the connotation of being the representation of
                      the tradition of the soldiers who fought for our freedom in the
                      battle of Dukla (sorry, I don't know how to expres it more
                      precisely).

                      > > Prestoze byla moje mamka ucitelka, nejvetsi vliv na mne mel
                      otec. Jeho
                      > > suche, ironicke komentare jsem si velmi rychle osvojila. A
                      take jsem
                      > > snad nikdy nebrecela.
                      > > The "snad" in the last sentence bothers me.(Snad is a word
                      like akorat
                      > > in that I never really know what it means). Does she mean "And
                      > > hardly ever cried as well."
                      >
                      > It seems to me that it could mean something like: "as far as I
                      can remeber" or "if I remeber it well".

                      > > Ucitele se na mne proto zlobili a stezovali si, ze jsem
                      flegmatik.
                      > > Nechtela jsem se totiz hlasit, ze znam spravnou odpoved.
                      > > I can't imagine a teacher ever calling a schoolkid a
                      phlegmatic person
                      > > in English. And I don¨t understand why not admitting to
                      knowing the
                      > > right answer is "phlegmatic". Could someone please explain to
                      me what
                      > > she's trying to say?
                      >
                      > "Flegmous", "salámista" etc. are just some expressions you can
                      use to describe somebody who is lazy, doesn't care about school and
                      whom teachers hardly manage to make do anything or express his/her
                      feelings, etc.

                      > HTH,
                      >
                      > Jarda

                    • Terminus Technicus
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 30 2:57 AM
                        > Ona vubec dodnes dobre snasi vsechny moje omyly
                        > Could someone explain to me what exactly "vubec" means here?

                        Probably it could be rendered just as "generally".

                        and anyway, she's good at...
                        and she's normally good at..

                        > Prestoze byla moje mamka ucitelka, nejvetsi vliv na mne mel otec. Jeho
                        > suche, ironicke komentare jsem si velmi rychle osvojila. A take jsem
                        > snad nikdy nebrecela.
                        > The "snad" in the last sentence bothers me.(Snad is a word like akorat
                        > in that I never really know what it means). Does she mean "And I
                        > hardly ever cried as well."

                        It seems to me that it could mean something like: "as far as I can
                        remeber" or "if I remeber it well".

                        . and I almost never cried...

                        > Ucitele se na mne proto zlobili a stezovali si, ze jsem flegmatik.
                        > Nechtela jsem se totiz hlasit, ze znam spravnou odpoved.
                        > I can't imagine a teacher ever calling a schoolkid a phlegmatic person
                        > in English. And I don¨t understand why not admitting to knowing the
                        > right answer is "phlegmatic". Could someone please explain to me what
                        > she's trying to say?

                        .. complained that I was passive, I had no interest...

                        19ti jsem letel spolecne s mym kamaradem Erichem do Ameriky. Koupili
                        jsme si pausalni letenky spolecnosti CAPITAL AIRWAYS a litali jsme po
                        cele Americe.
                        Does anyone know exactly what a "pausalni letenka" would be called in
                        English?

                        Some sort of xxx air miles booklet that lets you book unlimited travel up to
                        certain value, similar to InterRail pass, unlimited airline pass?? that's
                        for you nejtivspikre!

                        Krom tenisu jsem se temer s nadsenim zucastnovala kazdeho zavodu
                        typu "Branny zavod o dukelsky samopal" pro male jiskry a pionyry."
                        I presume this is something anyone who had a Czech communist
                        upbringing is familiar with, but could anyone perhaps explain to me in
                        English what the person is talking about?

                        See Jarda's explanation, untranslatable, but perhaps some boy Scout stuff
                        could come close (less the Commie joke, of course)

                      • Terminus Technicus
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 30 3:07 AM
                          BTW, how does "multi-destination" ticket sound for "pausalni
                          letenka"?

                          sounds good, but I think it would mean a RTW ticket with lots of stopovers,
                          a ticket you buy in advance with all destinations specified, while what he
                          was talking about is a "coupon book" you buy and then exchange individual
                          coupons for tickets to any destination you want, you can decide where to go
                          at any time..

                        • Terminus Technicus
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 30 3:37 AM
                            Given the nature of the document, I think it'll do if you just say "we
                            bought (unlimited) airline passes"

                            > V 19ti jsem letel spolecne s mym kamaradem Erichem do Ameriky. Koupili
                            > jsme si pausalni letenky spolecnosti CAPITAL AIRWAYS a litali jsme po
                            > cele Americe.
                            > Does anyone know exactly what a "pausalni letenka" would be called in
                            > English?
                            >
                            > Just to complete Jarda's exhaustive explanation, I believe it as a kind of
                            > ticket for a specific period of time (during which you can take as many
                            > flights as you wish) rather than for a specific flight.
                            >
                            > Petr
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Coilin O Connor