RE: [Czechlist] Re: Lawdy! (was: Translation Gems in Movies)

  • Rubkova
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004
      As Simon has already said there is a map in the book. But the context seems
      to me obvious.

      Sarka

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@c...>
        wrote:
        > A je ten smer vetru (tj. na zapad) jednoznacny pro NS, jenz nezna
        > kontext, ktery uvadite? Cili: Znamena "Wind blowing from the
        > mountains to the [east]" jednoznacne "od hor lezicich na vychod"?
        > Petr A.

        Not jednoznacne, but I would have assumed that that was the more
        likely meaning. 'Mountains to the east' feels like a stronger
        connection than 'blow...to the east'. Had the author intended the
        other meaning, I would have expected another construction:

        A west wind [i.e. coming from the west] began to blow chill from...
        A chill wind began to blow east from...
        A wind began to blow chill to the east from...

        But the point is that the translator had the full context (including
        a map); she just failed to think.

        Simon