[Czechlist] Wordfast Revisited - Crucial Discovery !!!

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi,

      Those of you who have read today's posts on the Wordfast mailing list
      already know that one of Wf users made an ingenious discovery. From now on,
      all the expensive CAT tools are a thing of the past. The guy tried to rename
      "wordfast.dot" to "trados6.dot", and when he opened both these CATs, he
      could use Wf with all its functions and TMs inside TWS, Tag Editor
      respectively. Isn't that wonderful! What is more, some other user renamed
      the template to "fusion.dot", and it worked inside this CAT tool too. It
      works the same way with DejaVu, Transit S. etc.
      Another change to "eurodicautom.dot" caused that it was possible to use this
      powerful multiterm dictionary for machine translation in Wf.
      Try it yourself if you don't believe me. Hurry up, it might not work
      tomorrow. :-)))))

      Petr
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
        Yeah, enjoy it - until the next Trados release ;-)

        Could you please explain once more, and a bit slowly, *what* works the same
        way with DV and Transit? These two tools are not Word-macro based, neither
        their TMs are - not sure what should work and how.

        thanks,

        > Those of you who have read today's posts on the Wordfast mailing list
        > already know that one of Wf users made an ingenious discovery. From now
        on,
        > all the expensive CAT tools are a thing of the past. The guy tried to
        rename
        > "wordfast.dot" to "trados6.dot", and when he opened both these CATs, he
        > could use Wf with all its functions and TMs inside TWS, Tag Editor
        > respectively. Isn't that wonderful! What is more, some other user renamed
        > the template to "fusion.dot", and it worked inside this CAT tool too. It
        > works the same way with DejaVu, Transit S. etc.
        > Another change to "eurodicautom.dot" caused that it was possible to use
        this
        > powerful multiterm dictionary for machine translation in Wf.
        > Try it yourself if you don't believe me. Hurry up, it might not work
        > tomorrow. :-)))))
        >
        > Petr
        >

        > Czechlist Users' Guide:
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Helga Humlova
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
          A hlavne, co to je pro mne za vyhodu kdyz stejne potrebuji Trados (ktery
          m.j. mam). Nechapu....

          H.

          > Those of you who have read today's posts on the Wordfast mailing list
          > already know that one of Wf users made an ingenious discovery. From
          now
          on,
          > all the expensive CAT tools are a thing of the past. The guy tried to
          rename
          > "wordfast.dot" to "trados6.dot", and when he opened both these CATs,
          he
          > could use Wf with all its functions and TMs inside TWS, Tag Editor
          > respectively. Isn't that wonderful! What is more, some other user
          renamed
          > the template to "fusion.dot", and it worked inside this CAT tool too.
          It
          > works the same way with DejaVu, Transit S. etc.
          > Another change to "eurodicautom.dot" caused that it was possible to
          use
          this
          > powerful multiterm dictionary for machine translation in Wf.
          > Try it yourself if you don't believe me. Hurry up, it might not work
          > tomorrow. :-)))))
          >
          > Petr
          >

          > Czechlist Users' Guide:
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Czechlist Users' Guide:

          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • jsyeaton
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
            Hi,

            And to make things even better, Jost Zetzche
            (http://www.internationalwriters.com/toolkit/) reports (in message
            46 at the OOo4trans group) that it's possible to work in OpenOffice -
            you know, that freebie that came on the PC World CD in January)
            using most CATs simply by changing file extensions to open up and
            then wrap up again the packed files. (Which explains why it takes
            the program so blasted long to open - nimble it isn't.)

            Is it possible that we'll eventually get to the point where a
            translator can actually afford the tools of his trade, even in the
            CR?

            When I needed to buy Word after crashing (literally) my old
            portable, I paid what was nearly the average monthly income at the
            time (Word around 15 000 Kc, av. income then was around 16,000).
            The minimum wage, which is probably a more realistic comparison
            figure for beginning translators, is what? something like 6400 Kc?

            No wonder the government decided to put struggling freelancers out
            of their misery.

            Now, back to learning Wordfast. (Please don't ask me for an
            explanation of how all the magic works - that's why I copied Jost's
            address.)

            Judy

            > Hi,
            >
            > Those of you who have read today's posts on the Wordfast mailing
            list
            > already know that one of Wf users made an ingenious discovery.
            From now on,
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
              Come on, Martin,

              you was supposed to answer sth. like:

              I've just tried it and it REALLY WORKS with my DV, wow, do you have the same
              experience?

              As you and Matej seems to be the only guys with DV and Star among us, nobody
              would find anything fishy about implementing macros in these CATs.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
                It's the date, I suppose. My Grandma used to tell me "ze se nemodlim" when I
                didn't know what the date was. Well, she was right. I mean I didn't pray.

                Jirka Bolech
              • Jan Culka
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
                  Didn´t you recognize 1st April joking? I did.
                  Honza

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
                    It's the date, I suppose. My Grandma used to tell me "ze se nemodlim" when I
                    didn't know what the date was. Well, she was right. I mean I didn't pray.

                    Seems like Petr's posting has served its purpose with some of ye fools...

                    Jirka Bolech
                  • Petr Veselý
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
                      Cha cha