RE: [Czechlist] Re: Lawdy! (was: Translation Gems in Movies)

  • Rubkova
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
      >Wouldn't 'trochu' also do?
      >
      > malo - little
      > trochu - a little

      It would but I feel that "neco malo" is better

      sarka

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...>
        wrote:
        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
        > > I'll go first so I can take the easy one:
        >
        > Actually, Judy, this competition is only open to Czechs. :-)

        Look at history: Americans are hard to keep out.

      • jsyeaton
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...>
          wrote:
          I don't think it's as much laxness as lack of experience. After
          all, for 40 years translators were taught - out of necessity - that
          it was possible to "go into foreign," and there was certainly no one
          around to challenge their work.

          Now institutions (the National Museum, Lord help us!) order
          translations in all good faith from agencies that are ISO-certified
          (in some cases) and promise to have everything passed on by a native
          speaker, and assume all is well.

          In Britain, with its colonial past, and the US, home of immigrants,
          we've always had enough native speakers from everywhere so that it
          has been possible to insist that translators work only into their
          native language. Americans are tolerant (to a fault) about the
          missuse of English, the British are polite - but eventually somebody
          will let it out how funny some of these translations sound. Or else
          the Indians will take over the world's to-and-from English
          translation work and we'll all just have to learn to live
          with "whatever."

          Judy
          Having said that, there does seem to be a
          > culture of carelessness in this country. On Monday afternoon, I
          > took a walk around Mala Strana, in the course of which I passed
          the
          > Wallenstein Palace, home of the Czech Senate. The building has
          been
          > beautifully renovated, but all that good work is marred by a
          plaque
          > in English that reads something like:
          >
          > 'From 1996, the palace is seat of upper house of Czech Parliament.'
          >
          > How is it that someone contracted to translate a plaque to go on
          the
          > Czech SENATE did not have a proper grasp of English tenses, i.e.
          did
          > not know to write 'Since...has been...' (we'll ignore the lesser
          > mistakes)?
          >
          > Havel's offical site as President of the Czech Republic welcomed
          > visitors to *the* Prague Castle.
          >
          > Strict about their own language, Czechs can be very lax with
          English.

          > Simon
        • raesim
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
            > I don't think it's as much laxness as lack of experience.
            >
            > Now institutions (the National Museum, Lord help us!) order
            > translations in all good faith from agencies that are ISO-
            > certified (in some cases) and promise to have everything passed on
            > by a native speaker, and assume all is well.

            I suppose I meant that the laxity is in the assumption that 'all is
            well'. I find it astonishing that someone assumed that the Senate
            plaque did not need to be -- at least -- reviewed by a literate
            native speaker.

            > Americans are tolerant (to a fault) about the
            > missuse of English,

            Misuse. :-) I'm just trying not to a tolerant to a fault.

            > the British are polite - but eventually somebody
            > will let it out how funny some of these translations sound.

            The tolerance and politeness of native speakers can lead Czechs (and
            all foreigners for that matter) to overestimate their abilities in
            English. Whereas the protectiveness of Czechs towards their
            language can make foreign learners insecure, the laissez-faire
            attitude of native English-speakers to English gives Czechs a false
            sense of security.

            Simon
          • raesim
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
              > > Americans are tolerant (to a fault) about the
              > > missuse of English,
              >
              > Misuse. :-) I'm just trying not to a tolerant to a fault.

              Of course, you'd never catch me bungling my English.

              Simon
            • jsyeaton
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                Yikes!

                > Misuse. :-) I'm just trying not to a tolerant to a fault.
                >

                > Simon
              • Michael Grant
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                  On Apr 1, 2004, at 6:34 AM, raesim wrote:

                  > At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs on
                  > the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us what's
                  > wrong with the above translations and how to correct them.

                  I'm not Czech, but I think adding 'neco' before 'malo' should do it for
                  your first example.
                  Michael

                  --
                  "With a heavy dose of fear and violence... I think we can convince these
                  people that we are here to help them."

                  - US Lt. Col. Nathan Sassaman in Iraq
                • Michael Grant
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                    On Apr 1, 2004, at 8:44 AM, jsyeaton wrote:

                    > Now institutions (the National Museum, Lord help us!) order
                    > translations in all good faith from agencies that are ISO-certified
                    > (in some cases) and promise to have everything passed on by a native
                    > speaker, and assume all is well.

                    Of course that's the same institution that once had a sign reading

                    Please your luggage
                    give to the wardrobe

                    prominently displayed in its lobby. (Admittedly, this was back in the
                    bad old days, or shortly thereafter.)

                    Michael
                    who made a small donation just to keep his suitcase happy

                    --
                    Palm
                    the space of rest
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004
                      Kdyby tam nebylo to "began", tak bych napsal "K vychodu prival vitr
                      chlad od Mlznych hor".
                      Takhle snad: "Zacal byt citit chlad, ktery k vychodu prival vitr od
                      Mlznych hor"
                      Petr Adamek
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...>

                      > A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.
                      >
                      > Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor k vychodu.
                      >
                      >> At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs on
                      > the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us what's
                      > wrong with the above translations and how to correct them.
                      >
                      > Simon
                    • spektrum2002
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004
                        Dodatecne mne napadlo, ze chlad "cisi" (c^is^i'):
                        K vychodu zacisel vetrem od Mlznych hor chlad.
                        P.A.
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@c...> wrote:
                        > Kdyby tam nebylo to "began", tak bych napsal "K vychodu prival vitr
                        > chlad od Mlznych hor".
                        > Takhle snad: "Zacal byt citit chlad, ktery k vychodu prival vitr od
                        > Mlznych hor"
                        > Petr Adamek
                        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...>
                        > >
                        > > A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.
                        > >
                        > > Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor k vychodu.
                        > >
                        > >> At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs
                        on
                        > > the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us
                        what's
                        > > wrong with the above translations and how to correct them.
                        > >
                        > > Simon
                      • raesim
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004

                          wrote:
                          > Kdyby tam nebylo to "began", tak bych napsal "K vychodu prival
                          > vitr chlad od Mlznych hor".
                          > Takhle snad: "Zacal byt citit chlad, ktery k vychodu prival vitr
                          > od Mlznych hor"

                          Your versions may well work better than the original translation in
                          other respects, but like it they make the mistake of assuming that
                          the wind is blowing to the east. It's blowing to the west, and we
                          can be sure of this because the Fellowship is on the westward side
                          of the mountains: climatic conditions on the other side are, at this
                          stage of the story, irrelevant. You see, it's the mountains that
                          are to the east of the Fellowship.

                          Simon
                        • spektrum2002
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004
                            A je ten smer vetru (tj. na zapad) jednoznacny pro NS, jenz nezna
                            kontext, ktery uvadite? Cili: Znamena "Wind blowing from the
                            mountains to the west" jednoznacne "od hor lezicich na vychod"?
                            Petr A.
                            wrote:
                            > > > A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.

                            they make the mistake of assuming that
                            > the wind is blowing to the east. It's blowing to the west, and we
                            > can be sure of this because the Fellowship is on the westward side
                            > of the mountains: climatic conditions on the other side are, at
                            this
                            > stage of the story, irrelevant. You see, it's the mountains that
                            > are to the east of the Fellowship.
                            >
                            > Simon
                          • Rubkova
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004
                              As Simon has already said there is a map in the book. But the context seems
                              to me obvious.

                              Sarka

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004

                                wrote:
                                > A je ten smer vetru (tj. na zapad) jednoznacny pro NS, jenz nezna
                                > kontext, ktery uvadite? Cili: Znamena "Wind blowing from the
                                > mountains to the [east]" jednoznacne "od hor lezicich na vychod"?
                                > Petr A.

                                Not jednoznacne, but I would have assumed that that was the more
                                likely meaning. 'Mountains to the east' feels like a stronger
                                connection than 'blow...to the east'. Had the author intended the
                                other meaning, I would have expected another construction:

                                A west wind [i.e. coming from the west] began to blow chill from...
                                A chill wind began to blow east from...
                                A wind began to blow chill to the east from...

                                But the point is that the translator had the full context (including
                                a map); she just failed to think.

                                Simon