Lawdy! (was: Translation Gems in Movies)

  • raesim
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hello!

      > LORD OF THE RINGS: FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (Theatrical subtitles)
      > In the Rivendell, when Gandalf says to Frodo "You're beginning to
      > mend", it's translated as "You're beginning to melt".
      > When Gimli says "Nobody throws the dwarf" (before he's thrown
      > across the chasm in Moria), it's translated as "Nobody strikes
      > down the dwarf".

      The scripts for the Lord of the Rings films weren't worth
      translating anyway: they're not Tolkien, but a parody of Tolkien.
      Why, when they had great writing to draw on, did the makers of the
      films give us bad writing? Presumably because they thought the
      ninety-five percent of their potential audience they expected to be
      morons wouldn't understand the original. What's particularly
      disappointing, though, is that so few people who claim to love the
      books seem to mind that NONE of Tolkien's dialogue is used in the
      films. Of all the reviews on Amazon that I read (most of them
      written by LotR obsessives), there was only one that commented on
      the bad writing.

      Anyway, that's not why I'm writing in...

      I wanted to say, in response to reading that selection of film
      bloopers, that I suspect there is not a single Czech translation of
      a book or a film written in English that does not contain at least
      one error. (Admittedly, the same may go for other or all language
      combinations.) No, I haven't read all the books or seen all the
      films, but the selective reading and viewing I have done have ALWAYS
      turned up mistakes. Since we're talking about The LotR, let's take
      as an example the Czech translation of The Fellowship of the Rings,
      by Stanislava Posustova, which is widely held to be an excellent
      translation. The very first sentence of the Prologue contains an
      error:

      This book is largely concerned with hobbits, and from its pages a
      reader may discover much of their character and a little of their
      history.

      Tato kniha se vesmes zabyva hobity a z jejich stranek se ctenar muze
      dozvedet hodne o jejich povaze a malo o jejich dejinach.

      When I read this, I gave up on the Prologue and flicked forward, and
      the next sentence I stumbled upon (in Book II, Chapter 3, 'The Ring
      Goes South') also happened to be wrong:

      A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.

      Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor k vychodu.

      This last is an example of a translator failing to think.
      Uncontextualized, the sentence could be rendered so, but the
      translator had the story -- and the MAP Tolkien provided -- to go
      on, and these clearly indicate that the translation is nonsense.

      At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs on
      the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us what's
      wrong with the above translations and how to correct them. The
      prize for the first correct translations is my respect, and I don't
      know what could be worth more than that.

      Oh, you might need a hint for the second example: the Fellowship has
      not yet set out from Rivendell.

      Simon
    • jsyeaton
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
        I'll go first so I can take the easy one:

        > "This book is largely concerned with hobbits, and from its pages a
        > reader may discover much of their character and a little of their
        > history."
        >
        > Tato kniha se vesmes zabyva hobity a z jejich stranek se ctenar
        muze
        > dozvedet hodne o jejich povaze a malo o jejich dejinach.

        ... a NECO of jejich dejinach.

        BTW, I wonder how many mistakes there are in translations of "Svejk"?

        Judy

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
          You know, when you are translating a 300 or 500 page book, it's probably
          impossible not to make mistakes - we tend to do them in much shorter
          documents :-)

> [...]
          > the next sentence I stumbled upon (in Book II, Chapter 3, 'The Ring
          > Goes South') also happened to be wrong:
          >
          > A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.
          >
          > Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor k vychodu.
          >
          > This last is an example of a translator failing to think.
          > Uncontextualized, the sentence could be rendered so, but the
          > translator had the story -- and the MAP Tolkien provided -- to go
          > on, and these clearly indicate that the translation is nonsense.
          >
          > At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs on
          > the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us what's
          > wrong with the above translations and how to correct them. The
          > prize for the first correct translations is my respect, and I don't
          > know what could be worth more than that.
          >
          > Oh, you might need a hint for the second example: the Fellowship has

        • Rubkova
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
            Ja bych to prelozila ...a neco malo o jejich dejinach

            A druha veta: Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor na vychode. Podotykam,
            ze nejsem fanda teto knihy a mapu jsem nukdy nevidela

            Sarka

            I'll go first so I can take the easy one:

            > "This book is largely concerned with hobbits, and from its pages a
            > reader may discover much of their character and a little of their
            > history."
            >
            > Tato kniha se vesmes zabyva hobity a z jejich stranek se ctenar
            muze
            > dozvedet hodne o jejich povaze a malo o jejich dejinach.

            ... a NECO of jejich dejinach.

            BTW, I wonder how many mistakes there are in translations of "Svejk"?

            Judy

            Czechlist Users' Guide:

            http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Zdenek Mikan
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
              IMHO it is a problem of attitude: many translators think, that they
              should render only the general meaning of text, not every word. Some of
              them even think, that they could express the idea better than original
              author (sometimes it can be true).

              Best Regards

              Zdenek

              Martin Janda wrote:

              > You know, when you are translating a 300 or 500 page book, it's probably
              > impossible not to make mistakes - we tend to do them in much shorter
              > documents :-)
            • raesim
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
                > I'll go first so I can take the easy one:

                Actually, Judy, this competition is only open to Czechs. :-)

                > BTW, I wonder how many mistakes there are in translations
                > of "Svejk"?

                Plenty, I should think. In my message, I did allow for the
                possibility that translators working in other combinations were just
                as prone to error. Having said that, there does seem to be a
                culture of carelessness in this country. On Monday afternoon, I
                took a walk around Mala Strana, in the course of which I passed the
                Wallenstein Palace, home of the Czech Senate. The building has been
                beautifully renovated, but all that good work is marred by a plaque
                in English that reads something like:

                'From 1996, the palace is seat of upper house of Czech Parliament.'

                How is it that someone contracted to translate a plaque to go on the
                Czech SENATE did not have a proper grasp of English tenses, i.e. did
                not know to write 'Since...has been...' (we'll ignore the lesser
                mistakes)?

                Havel's offical site as President of the Czech Republic welcomed
                visitors to *the* Prague Castle.

                Strict about their own language, Czechs can be very lax with English.

                Simon
              • raesim
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                  > Ja bych to prelozila ...a neco malo o jejich dejinach
                  >
                  > A druha veta: Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor na vychode.

                  Kudos galore to Sarka.

                  Wouldn't 'trochu' also do?

                  malo - little
                  trochu - a little

                  > Podotykam, ze nejsem fanda teto knihy

                  Oh, Sarka, now I'm disappointed in you.

                  > a mapu jsem nukdy nevidela

                  But this is impressive.

                  Simon
                • Rubkova
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                    >Wouldn't 'trochu' also do?
                    >
                    > malo - little
                    > trochu - a little

                    It would but I feel that "neco malo" is better

                    sarka

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...>
                      wrote:
                      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
                      > > I'll go first so I can take the easy one:
                      >
                      > Actually, Judy, this competition is only open to Czechs. :-)

                      Look at history: Americans are hard to keep out.

                    • jsyeaton
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...>
                        wrote:
                        I don't think it's as much laxness as lack of experience. After
                        all, for 40 years translators were taught - out of necessity - that
                        it was possible to "go into foreign," and there was certainly no one
                        around to challenge their work.

                        Now institutions (the National Museum, Lord help us!) order
                        translations in all good faith from agencies that are ISO-certified
                        (in some cases) and promise to have everything passed on by a native
                        speaker, and assume all is well.

                        In Britain, with its colonial past, and the US, home of immigrants,
                        we've always had enough native speakers from everywhere so that it
                        has been possible to insist that translators work only into their
                        native language. Americans are tolerant (to a fault) about the
                        missuse of English, the British are polite - but eventually somebody
                        will let it out how funny some of these translations sound. Or else
                        the Indians will take over the world's to-and-from English
                        translation work and we'll all just have to learn to live
                        with "whatever."

                        Judy
                        Having said that, there does seem to be a
                        > culture of carelessness in this country. On Monday afternoon, I
                        > took a walk around Mala Strana, in the course of which I passed
                        the
                        > Wallenstein Palace, home of the Czech Senate. The building has
                        been
                        > beautifully renovated, but all that good work is marred by a
                        plaque
                        > in English that reads something like:
                        >
                        > 'From 1996, the palace is seat of upper house of Czech Parliament.'
                        >
                        > How is it that someone contracted to translate a plaque to go on
                        the
                        > Czech SENATE did not have a proper grasp of English tenses, i.e.
                        did
                        > not know to write 'Since...has been...' (we'll ignore the lesser
                        > mistakes)?
                        >
                        > Havel's offical site as President of the Czech Republic welcomed
                        > visitors to *the* Prague Castle.
                        >
                        > Strict about their own language, Czechs can be very lax with
                        English.

                        > Simon
                      • raesim
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
                          > I don't think it's as much laxness as lack of experience.
                          >
                          > Now institutions (the National Museum, Lord help us!) order
                          > translations in all good faith from agencies that are ISO-
                          > certified (in some cases) and promise to have everything passed on
                          > by a native speaker, and assume all is well.

                          I suppose I meant that the laxity is in the assumption that 'all is
                          well'. I find it astonishing that someone assumed that the Senate
                          plaque did not need to be -- at least -- reviewed by a literate
                          native speaker.

                          > Americans are tolerant (to a fault) about the
                          > missuse of English,

                          Misuse. :-) I'm just trying not to a tolerant to a fault.

                          > the British are polite - but eventually somebody
                          > will let it out how funny some of these translations sound.

                          The tolerance and politeness of native speakers can lead Czechs (and
                          all foreigners for that matter) to overestimate their abilities in
                          English. Whereas the protectiveness of Czechs towards their
                          language can make foreign learners insecure, the laissez-faire
                          attitude of native English-speakers to English gives Czechs a false
                          sense of security.

                          Simon
                        • raesim
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                            > > Americans are tolerant (to a fault) about the
                            > > missuse of English,
                            >
                            > Misuse. :-) I'm just trying not to a tolerant to a fault.

                            Of course, you'd never catch me bungling my English.

                            Simon
                          • jsyeaton
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                              Yikes!

                              > Misuse. :-) I'm just trying not to a tolerant to a fault.
                              >

                              > Simon
                            • Michael Grant
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                                On Apr 1, 2004, at 6:34 AM, raesim wrote:

                                > At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs on
                                > the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us what's
                                > wrong with the above translations and how to correct them.

                                I'm not Czech, but I think adding 'neco' before 'malo' should do it for
                                your first example.
                                Michael

                                --
                                "With a heavy dose of fear and violence... I think we can convince these
                                people that we are here to help them."

                                - US Lt. Col. Nathan Sassaman in Iraq
                              • Michael Grant
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                                  On Apr 1, 2004, at 8:44 AM, jsyeaton wrote:

                                  > Now institutions (the National Museum, Lord help us!) order
                                  > translations in all good faith from agencies that are ISO-certified
                                  > (in some cases) and promise to have everything passed on by a native
                                  > speaker, and assume all is well.

                                  Of course that's the same institution that once had a sign reading

                                  Please your luggage
                                  give to the wardrobe

                                  prominently displayed in its lobby. (Admittedly, this was back in the
                                  bad old days, or shortly thereafter.)

                                  Michael
                                  who made a small donation just to keep his suitcase happy

                                  --
                                  Palm
                                  the space of rest
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004
                                    Kdyby tam nebylo to "began", tak bych napsal "K vychodu prival vitr
                                    chlad od Mlznych hor".
                                    Takhle snad: "Zacal byt citit chlad, ktery k vychodu prival vitr od
                                    Mlznych hor"
                                    Petr Adamek
                                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...>

                                    > A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.
                                    >
                                    > Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor k vychodu.
                                    >
                                    >> At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs on
                                    > the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us what's
                                    > wrong with the above translations and how to correct them.
                                    >
                                    > Simon
                                  • spektrum2002
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004
                                      Dodatecne mne napadlo, ze chlad "cisi" (c^is^i'):
                                      K vychodu zacisel vetrem od Mlznych hor chlad.
                                      P.A.
                                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@c...> wrote:
                                      > Kdyby tam nebylo to "began", tak bych napsal "K vychodu prival vitr
                                      > chlad od Mlznych hor".
                                      > Takhle snad: "Zacal byt citit chlad, ktery k vychodu prival vitr od
                                      > Mlznych hor"
                                      > Petr Adamek
                                      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...>
                                      > >
                                      > > A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.
                                      > >
                                      > > Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor k vychodu.
                                      > >
                                      > >> At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs
                                      on
                                      > > the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us
                                      what's
                                      > > wrong with the above translations and how to correct them.
                                      > >
                                      > > Simon
                                    • raesim
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004

                                        wrote:
                                        > Kdyby tam nebylo to "began", tak bych napsal "K vychodu prival
                                        > vitr chlad od Mlznych hor".
                                        > Takhle snad: "Zacal byt citit chlad, ktery k vychodu prival vitr
                                        > od Mlznych hor"

                                        Your versions may well work better than the original translation in
                                        other respects, but like it they make the mistake of assuming that
                                        the wind is blowing to the east. It's blowing to the west, and we
                                        can be sure of this because the Fellowship is on the westward side
                                        of the mountains: climatic conditions on the other side are, at this
                                        stage of the story, irrelevant. You see, it's the mountains that
                                        are to the east of the Fellowship.

                                        Simon
                                      • spektrum2002
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004
                                          A je ten smer vetru (tj. na zapad) jednoznacny pro NS, jenz nezna
                                          kontext, ktery uvadite? Cili: Znamena "Wind blowing from the
                                          mountains to the west" jednoznacne "od hor lezicich na vychod"?
                                          Petr A.
                                          wrote:
                                          > > > A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.

                                          they make the mistake of assuming that
                                          > the wind is blowing to the east. It's blowing to the west, and we
                                          > can be sure of this because the Fellowship is on the westward side
                                          > of the mountains: climatic conditions on the other side are, at
                                          this
                                          > stage of the story, irrelevant. You see, it's the mountains that
                                          > are to the east of the Fellowship.
                                          >
                                          > Simon
                                        • Rubkova
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004
                                            As Simon has already said there is a map in the book. But the context seems
                                            to me obvious.

                                            Sarka

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 2, 2004

                                              wrote:
                                              > A je ten smer vetru (tj. na zapad) jednoznacny pro NS, jenz nezna
                                              > kontext, ktery uvadite? Cili: Znamena "Wind blowing from the
                                              > mountains to the [east]" jednoznacne "od hor lezicich na vychod"?
                                              > Petr A.

                                              Not jednoznacne, but I would have assumed that that was the more
                                              likely meaning. 'Mountains to the east' feels like a stronger
                                              connection than 'blow...to the east'. Had the author intended the
                                              other meaning, I would have expected another construction:

                                              A west wind [i.e. coming from the west] began to blow chill from...
                                              A chill wind began to blow east from...
                                              A wind began to blow chill to the east from...

                                              But the point is that the translator had the full context (including
                                              a map); she just failed to think.

                                              Simon