Re: [Czechlist] next of kin

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
      On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 06:16 AM, Helena Subrtova wrote:

      > Marta Chroma (from the Law Faculty, English dept.) told us that
      >
      > next of kin = nejblizsi osoba
      > (with hacek above z,s in nejblizsi, and carka above the final vowel in
      > nejblizsi)

      This may be the way the line on a form should be translated from
      English into Czech, but "kin" means "pribuzny" and "next of kin"
      literally means "nejblizsi pribuzny". The word "kin" does not simply
      mean "osoba".

      Now, whether or not "nejblizsi pribuzny" would sound odd on a Czech
      form is not for me to judge.

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
        On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 06:23 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

        > The forms still use the same
        > term even now -- out of tradition, and it still means the same thing --
        > but the hospitals are simply reasonable and know that the person to be
        > contacted or whose name will be filled in might not be a relative.
        >

        > That's exactly what I meant by my original post, but didn't have time
        > to go
        > two pages about it:)

      • Papoušek Dušan
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
          Ja bych to prelozil jako "...kterou zesnula osoba uvedla jako osobu ji
          nejblizsi."

          D. P.

          From: "Slavomir BELIS" <slavomir@...>
          Subject: next of kin

          Hi listmates,

          I would like to ask you to help me with the following translation to Czech
          or Slovak.

          If the death occurs in hospital, the hospital staff will contact the person
          named by the deceased as next of kin. This may be, but need not be, a
          relative.
          Ak k umrtiu dojde v nemocnici, jej personal sa skontaktuje s osobou, ktoru
          zosnula osoba uviedla ako najblizsieho... ???. To moze, ale nemusi, byt
          pribuzny.

          I thought "NEXT of KIN" was "najblizsi pribuzny", which is not obviously.
          How do I translate it then?
        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
            > Then we agree, but it's not what you really said. :-)

            I thought it was... :), but to someone who likes to argue like you do :), it
            wasn't specific enough, I agree :)

            :) Matej
          • Rubkova
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
              Our legislation says that such person has to be real next of kin... Not
              anybody else

              Sarka