Re: [Czechlist] next of kin

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
      > In a message dated 3/31/2004 12:00:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      czechlist@... writes:

      > > I think it's a nice way of considering a partner one's not married
      to....

      > Absolutely, completely, 100% dangerously wrong!
      >
      > "Kin" is a very common word for relative. "Next of kin" means your
      nearest relative.

      Yeah, I know that, but why are they saying that person does not have to be a
      relative... my wife doesn't get on with her family and before we got
      married, or if we didn't get married, I'm sure she'd prefer me to come to
      the hospital instead of her "relatives"... I think the sentence was trying
      to accomodate for that, even if it used the wrong word (kin) - possibly
      because somebody was sensible and saw that a partner can be your "closest
      person" without you being married to them - it was just a thought, but I
      don't see any other way to explain the conflict between the two sentences...

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
        On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 03:03 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

        > > In a message dated 3/31/2004 12:00:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > czechlist@... writes:
        > >
        > > > I think it's a nice way of considering a partner one's not married
        > to....
        > >
        > > Absolutely, completely, 100% dangerously wrong!
        > >
        > > "Kin" is a very common word for relative.  "Next of kin" means your
        > nearest relative.
        >

        > Yeah, I know that, but why are they saying that person does not have
        > to be a
        > relative... my wife doesn't get on with her family and before we got
        > married, or if we didn't get married, I'm sure she'd prefer me to come
        > the hospital instead of her "relatives"... I think the sentence was
        > trying
        > to accomodate for that, even if it used the wrong word (kin) - possibly
        > because somebody was sensible and saw that a partner can be your
        > "closest
        > person" without you being married to them - it was just a thought, but
        > don't see any other way to explain the conflict between the two
        > sentences...

        The way to explain the conflict is that traditionally the real next of
        kin was the person to be contacted in case of emergency or death. In
        the vast majority of cases it still is. The forms still use the same
        term even now -- out of tradition, and it still means the same thing --
        but the hospitals are simply reasonable and know that the person to be
        contacted or whose name will be filled in might not be a relative. It
        is not put there as a euphemism for a partner one lives with without
        benefit of marriage. In less traditional forms this person is
        indicated as "person to be contacted in case of emergency" and then
        they ask "relationship to patient" in the next line.

      • Helena Subrtova
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
          Marta Chroma (from the Law Faculty, English dept.) told us that

          next of kin = nejblizsi osoba
          (with hacek above z,s in nejblizsi, and carka above the final vowel in
          nejblizsi)

          H.

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
            The forms still use the same
            term even now -- out of tradition, and it still means the same thing --
            but the hospitals are simply reasonable and know that the person to be
            contacted or whose name will be filled in might not be a relative.

            That's exactly what I meant by my original post, but didn't have time to go
            two pages about it:)

            matej
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
              On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 06:16 AM, Helena Subrtova wrote:

              > Marta Chroma (from the Law Faculty, English dept.) told us that
              >
              > next of kin = nejblizsi osoba
              > (with hacek above z,s in nejblizsi, and carka above the final vowel in
              > nejblizsi)

              This may be the way the line on a form should be translated from
              English into Czech, but "kin" means "pribuzny" and "next of kin"
              literally means "nejblizsi pribuzny". The word "kin" does not simply
              mean "osoba".

              Now, whether or not "nejblizsi pribuzny" would sound odd on a Czech
              form is not for me to judge.

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 06:23 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                > The forms still use the same
                > term even now -- out of tradition, and it still means the same thing --
                > but the hospitals are simply reasonable and know that the person to be
                > contacted or whose name will be filled in might not be a relative.
                >

                > That's exactly what I meant by my original post, but didn't have time
                > to go
                > two pages about it:)

              • Papoušek Dušan
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                  Ja bych to prelozil jako "...kterou zesnula osoba uvedla jako osobu ji
                  nejblizsi."

                  D. P.

                  From: "Slavomir BELIS" <slavomir@...>
                  Subject: next of kin

                  Hi listmates,

                  I would like to ask you to help me with the following translation to Czech
                  or Slovak.

                  If the death occurs in hospital, the hospital staff will contact the person
                  named by the deceased as next of kin. This may be, but need not be, a
                  relative.
                  Ak k umrtiu dojde v nemocnici, jej personal sa skontaktuje s osobou, ktoru
                  zosnula osoba uviedla ako najblizsieho... ???. To moze, ale nemusi, byt
                  pribuzny.

                  I thought "NEXT of KIN" was "najblizsi pribuzny", which is not obviously.
                  How do I translate it then?
                • Terminus Technicus
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                    > Then we agree, but it's not what you really said. :-)

                    I thought it was... :), but to someone who likes to argue like you do :), it
                    wasn't specific enough, I agree :)

                    :) Matej
                  • Rubkova
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 1, 2004
                      Our legislation says that such person has to be real next of kin... Not
                      anybody else

                      Sarka

                      > In a message dated 3/31/2004 12:00:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      czechlist@... writes:

                      > > I think it's a nice way of considering a partner one's not married
                      to....

                      > Absolutely, completely, 100% dangerously wrong!
                      >
                      > "Kin" is a very common word for relative. "Next of kin" means your
                      nearest relative.

                      Yeah, I know that, but why are they saying that person does not have to be a
                      relative... my wife doesn't get on with her family and before we got
                      married, or if we didn't get married, I'm sure she'd prefer me to come to
                      the hospital instead of her "relatives"... I think the sentence was trying
                      to accomodate for that, even if it used the wrong word (kin) - possibly
                      because somebody was sensible and saw that a partner can be your "closest
                      person" without you being married to them - it was just a thought, but I
                      don't see any other way to explain the conflict between the two sentences...

                      Czechlist Users' Guide:

                      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

                      Yahoo! Groups Links