FUN: Translation Gems in Movies

    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 31, 2004
      http://www.fuxoft.cz/preklady/

      Enjoy!

    • spektrum2002
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1 2:57 AM
        Je to pekne.
        Sam si pamatuji na jeden film v televizi, ktery se v originale
        jmenoval "Believed violent" a preklad znel "Milovane nasili".
        A v jednom americkem filmu je jeden stary Rek (Antony Quinn) (zrejme
        pravoslavny) dost nemocny a ptaji se ho, jestli nemaji povolat kneze.
        Odpovi neco jako: "Az budu chtit kneze, tak si zavolam pro papeze"
        (pope!).
        A nekde jsem cetl hodne starou historku, jak "I won't be a second" v
        titulcich prelozili "nebudu druhy".
        Zdravi Petr Adamek
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...>
        wrote:
        > http://www.fuxoft.cz/preklady/
        >
        > Enjoy!
        > Martin

      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 1 3:06 AM
          No jo, klasika, jako ten pan co prisel ve filmu na navstevu, dal hostitelce
          puget a rekl "Tady jdete" (Here you go)

          Ale je to ta sama situace jako v literarnich prekladech, pokud to nekdo
          nedela jako konicka, tak to za tech 100 Kc/NS muze byt jedine totalni
          amater... za filmy se plati neco jako desetnik za titulek (nebo radek v
          dialogu), myslim, setkal jsem se jednou se slecnou, ktera preklada vsechny
          Holywoodske pakarny pro jednoho distributora, bylo to na nejake party a kdyz
          na ni hostitel promluvil anglicky, tak neco zakoktala a utekla do kouta :)

          Kdyby alespon nezacli vsechno dabovat uz i na CT 2 :( bude z nas narod
          debilu, v Dansku se nikdy nikdo formalne neucil anglicky a i posledni
          uklizecka na skole mluvila lip nez ja - protoze v televizi maji vsechno s
          titulkama...

          > Sam si pamatuji na jeden film v televizi, ktery se v originale
          > jmenoval "Believed violent" a preklad znel "Milovane nasili".
          > A v jednom americkem filmu je jeden stary Rek (Antony Quinn) (zrejme
          > pravoslavny) dost nemocny a ptaji se ho, jestli nemaji povolat kneze.
          > Odpovi neco jako: "Az budu chtit kneze, tak si zavolam pro papeze"
          > (pope!).
          > A nekde jsem cetl hodne starou historku, jak "I won't be a second" v
          > titulcich prelozili "nebudu druhy".
          > Zdravi Petr Adamek
          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...>
          > wrote:
          > > http://www.fuxoft.cz/preklady/
          > >
          > > Enjoy!
          > > Martin

          > Czechlist Users' Guide:
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Petr Jarolím
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 1 3:16 AM
            Jo, a jeste ten tajemný "generál Attorney", který se vyskytuje skoro ve
            vsech filmech ze soudni sine ...
            A kdyz jeden rytir pravi druhemu "I´ll call you" a v titulcich bezi
            "Zatelefonuji ti", tak to je taky dost dobre.

            Hanka
          • raesim
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 1 4:34 AM
              Hello!

              > LORD OF THE RINGS: FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (Theatrical subtitles)
              > In the Rivendell, when Gandalf says to Frodo "You're beginning to
              > mend", it's translated as "You're beginning to melt".
              > When Gimli says "Nobody throws the dwarf" (before he's thrown
              > across the chasm in Moria), it's translated as "Nobody strikes
              > down the dwarf".

              The scripts for the Lord of the Rings films weren't worth
              translating anyway: they're not Tolkien, but a parody of Tolkien.
              Why, when they had great writing to draw on, did the makers of the
              films give us bad writing? Presumably because they thought the
              ninety-five percent of their potential audience they expected to be
              morons wouldn't understand the original. What's particularly
              disappointing, though, is that so few people who claim to love the
              books seem to mind that NONE of Tolkien's dialogue is used in the
              films. Of all the reviews on Amazon that I read (most of them
              written by LotR obsessives), there was only one that commented on
              the bad writing.

              Anyway, that's not why I'm writing in...

              I wanted to say, in response to reading that selection of film
              bloopers, that I suspect there is not a single Czech translation of
              a book or a film written in English that does not contain at least
              one error. (Admittedly, the same may go for other or all language
              combinations.) No, I haven't read all the books or seen all the
              films, but the selective reading and viewing I have done have ALWAYS
              turned up mistakes. Since we're talking about The LotR, let's take
              as an example the Czech translation of The Fellowship of the Rings,
              by Stanislava Posustova, which is widely held to be an excellent
              translation. The very first sentence of the Prologue contains an
              error:

              This book is largely concerned with hobbits, and from its pages a
              reader may discover much of their character and a little of their
              history.

              Tato kniha se vesmes zabyva hobity a z jejich stranek se ctenar muze
              dozvedet hodne o jejich povaze a malo o jejich dejinach.

              When I read this, I gave up on the Prologue and flicked forward, and
              the next sentence I stumbled upon (in Book II, Chapter 3, 'The Ring
              Goes South') also happened to be wrong:

              A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.

              Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor k vychodu.

              This last is an example of a translator failing to think.
              Uncontextualized, the sentence could be rendered so, but the
              translator had the story -- and the MAP Tolkien provided -- to go
              on, and these clearly indicate that the translation is nonsense.

              At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs on
              the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us what's
              wrong with the above translations and how to correct them. The
              prize for the first correct translations is my respect, and I don't
              know what could be worth more than that.

              Oh, you might need a hint for the second example: the Fellowship has
              not yet set out from Rivendell.

              Simon
            • jsyeaton
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 1 4:52 AM
                I'll go first so I can take the easy one:

                > "This book is largely concerned with hobbits, and from its pages a
                > reader may discover much of their character and a little of their
                > history."
                >
                > Tato kniha se vesmes zabyva hobity a z jejich stranek se ctenar
                muze
                > dozvedet hodne o jejich povaze a malo o jejich dejinach.

                ... a NECO of jejich dejinach.

                BTW, I wonder how many mistakes there are in translations of "Svejk"?

                Judy

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 1 5:14 AM
                  You know, when you are translating a 300 or 500 page book, it's probably
                  impossible not to make mistakes - we tend to do them in much shorter
                  documents :-)

> [...]
                  > the next sentence I stumbled upon (in Book II, Chapter 3, 'The Ring
                  > Goes South') also happened to be wrong:
                  >
                  > A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.
                  >
                  > Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor k vychodu.
                  >
                  > This last is an example of a translator failing to think.
                  > Uncontextualized, the sentence could be rendered so, but the
                  > translator had the story -- and the MAP Tolkien provided -- to go
                  > on, and these clearly indicate that the translation is nonsense.
                  >
                  > At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs on
                  > the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us what's
                  > wrong with the above translations and how to correct them. The
                  > prize for the first correct translations is my respect, and I don't
                  > know what could be worth more than that.
                  >
                  > Oh, you might need a hint for the second example: the Fellowship has

                • Rubkova
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 1 5:15 AM
                    Ja bych to prelozila ...a neco malo o jejich dejinach

                    A druha veta: Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor na vychode. Podotykam,
                    ze nejsem fanda teto knihy a mapu jsem nukdy nevidela

                    Sarka

                    I'll go first so I can take the easy one:

                    > "This book is largely concerned with hobbits, and from its pages a
                    > reader may discover much of their character and a little of their
                    > history."
                    >
                    > Tato kniha se vesmes zabyva hobity a z jejich stranek se ctenar
                    muze
                    > dozvedet hodne o jejich povaze a malo o jejich dejinach.

                    ... a NECO of jejich dejinach.

                    BTW, I wonder how many mistakes there are in translations of "Svejk"?

                    Judy

                    Czechlist Users' Guide:

                    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Zdenek Mikan
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 1 5:27 AM
                      IMHO it is a problem of attitude: many translators think, that they
                      should render only the general meaning of text, not every word. Some of
                      them even think, that they could express the idea better than original
                      author (sometimes it can be true).

                      Best Regards

                      Zdenek

                      Martin Janda wrote:

                      > You know, when you are translating a 300 or 500 page book, it's probably
                      > impossible not to make mistakes - we tend to do them in much shorter
                      > documents :-)
                    • raesim
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 1 5:43 AM
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
                        > I'll go first so I can take the easy one:

                        Actually, Judy, this competition is only open to Czechs. :-)

                        > BTW, I wonder how many mistakes there are in translations
                        > of "Svejk"?

                        Plenty, I should think. In my message, I did allow for the
                        possibility that translators working in other combinations were just
                        as prone to error. Having said that, there does seem to be a
                        culture of carelessness in this country. On Monday afternoon, I
                        took a walk around Mala Strana, in the course of which I passed the
                        Wallenstein Palace, home of the Czech Senate. The building has been
                        beautifully renovated, but all that good work is marred by a plaque
                        in English that reads something like:

                        'From 1996, the palace is seat of upper house of Czech Parliament.'

                        How is it that someone contracted to translate a plaque to go on the
                        Czech SENATE did not have a proper grasp of English tenses, i.e. did
                        not know to write 'Since...has been...' (we'll ignore the lesser
                        mistakes)?

                        Havel's offical site as President of the Czech Republic welcomed
                        visitors to *the* Prague Castle.

                        Strict about their own language, Czechs can be very lax with English.

                        Simon
                      • raesim
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 1 5:49 AM
                          > Ja bych to prelozila ...a neco malo o jejich dejinach
                          >
                          > A druha veta: Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor na vychode.

                          Kudos galore to Sarka.

                          Wouldn't 'trochu' also do?

                          malo - little
                          trochu - a little

                          > Podotykam, ze nejsem fanda teto knihy

                          Oh, Sarka, now I'm disappointed in you.

                          > a mapu jsem nukdy nevidela

                          But this is impressive.

                          Simon
                        • Rubkova
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 1 6:09 AM
                            >Wouldn't 'trochu' also do?
                            >
                            > malo - little
                            > trochu - a little

                            It would but I feel that "neco malo" is better

                            sarka

                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 1 6:25 AM
                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...>
                              wrote:
                              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
                              > > I'll go first so I can take the easy one:
                              >
                              > Actually, Judy, this competition is only open to Czechs. :-)

                              Look at history: Americans are hard to keep out.

                            • jsyeaton
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 1 6:44 AM
                                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...>
                                wrote:
                                I don't think it's as much laxness as lack of experience. After
                                all, for 40 years translators were taught - out of necessity - that
                                it was possible to "go into foreign," and there was certainly no one
                                around to challenge their work.

                                Now institutions (the National Museum, Lord help us!) order
                                translations in all good faith from agencies that are ISO-certified
                                (in some cases) and promise to have everything passed on by a native
                                speaker, and assume all is well.

                                In Britain, with its colonial past, and the US, home of immigrants,
                                we've always had enough native speakers from everywhere so that it
                                has been possible to insist that translators work only into their
                                native language. Americans are tolerant (to a fault) about the
                                missuse of English, the British are polite - but eventually somebody
                                will let it out how funny some of these translations sound. Or else
                                the Indians will take over the world's to-and-from English
                                translation work and we'll all just have to learn to live
                                with "whatever."

                                Judy
                                Having said that, there does seem to be a
                                > culture of carelessness in this country. On Monday afternoon, I
                                > took a walk around Mala Strana, in the course of which I passed
                                the
                                > Wallenstein Palace, home of the Czech Senate. The building has
                                been
                                > beautifully renovated, but all that good work is marred by a
                                plaque
                                > in English that reads something like:
                                >
                                > 'From 1996, the palace is seat of upper house of Czech Parliament.'
                                >
                                > How is it that someone contracted to translate a plaque to go on
                                the
                                > Czech SENATE did not have a proper grasp of English tenses, i.e.
                                did
                                > not know to write 'Since...has been...' (we'll ignore the lesser
                                > mistakes)?
                                >
                                > Havel's offical site as President of the Czech Republic welcomed
                                > visitors to *the* Prague Castle.
                                >
                                > Strict about their own language, Czechs can be very lax with
                                English.

                                > Simon
                              • raesim
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 1 7:42 AM
                                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "jsyeaton" <jsyeaton@y...> wrote:
                                  > I don't think it's as much laxness as lack of experience.
                                  >
                                  > Now institutions (the National Museum, Lord help us!) order
                                  > translations in all good faith from agencies that are ISO-
                                  > certified (in some cases) and promise to have everything passed on
                                  > by a native speaker, and assume all is well.

                                  I suppose I meant that the laxity is in the assumption that 'all is
                                  well'. I find it astonishing that someone assumed that the Senate
                                  plaque did not need to be -- at least -- reviewed by a literate
                                  native speaker.

                                  > Americans are tolerant (to a fault) about the
                                  > missuse of English,

                                  Misuse. :-) I'm just trying not to a tolerant to a fault.

                                  > the British are polite - but eventually somebody
                                  > will let it out how funny some of these translations sound.

                                  The tolerance and politeness of native speakers can lead Czechs (and
                                  all foreigners for that matter) to overestimate their abilities in
                                  English. Whereas the protectiveness of Czechs towards their
                                  language can make foreign learners insecure, the laissez-faire
                                  attitude of native English-speakers to English gives Czechs a false
                                  sense of security.

                                  Simon
                                • raesim
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 1 7:45 AM
                                    > > Americans are tolerant (to a fault) about the
                                    > > missuse of English,
                                    >
                                    > Misuse. :-) I'm just trying not to a tolerant to a fault.

                                    Of course, you'd never catch me bungling my English.

                                    Simon
                                  • jsyeaton
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 1 7:49 AM
                                      Yikes!

                                      > Misuse. :-) I'm just trying not to a tolerant to a fault.
                                      >

                                      > Simon
                                    • Michael Grant
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 1 8:09 AM
                                        On Apr 1, 2004, at 6:34 AM, raesim wrote:

                                        > At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs on
                                        > the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us what's
                                        > wrong with the above translations and how to correct them.

                                        I'm not Czech, but I think adding 'neco' before 'malo' should do it for
                                        your first example.
                                        Michael

                                        --
                                        "With a heavy dose of fear and violence... I think we can convince these
                                        people that we are here to help them."

                                        - US Lt. Col. Nathan Sassaman in Iraq
                                      • Michael Grant
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 1 8:18 AM
                                          On Apr 1, 2004, at 8:44 AM, jsyeaton wrote:

                                          > Now institutions (the National Museum, Lord help us!) order
                                          > translations in all good faith from agencies that are ISO-certified
                                          > (in some cases) and promise to have everything passed on by a native
                                          > speaker, and assume all is well.

                                          Of course that's the same institution that once had a sign reading

                                          Please your luggage
                                          give to the wardrobe

                                          prominently displayed in its lobby. (Admittedly, this was back in the
                                          bad old days, or shortly thereafter.)

                                          Michael
                                          who made a small donation just to keep his suitcase happy

                                          --
                                          Palm
                                          the space of rest
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 2 12:08 AM
                                            Kdyby tam nebylo to "began", tak bych napsal "K vychodu prival vitr
                                            chlad od Mlznych hor".
                                            Takhle snad: "Zacal byt citit chlad, ktery k vychodu prival vitr od
                                            Mlznych hor"
                                            Petr Adamek
                                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...>

                                            > A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.
                                            >
                                            > Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor k vychodu.
                                            >
                                            >> At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs on
                                            > the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us what's
                                            > wrong with the above translations and how to correct them.
                                            >
                                            > Simon
                                          • spektrum2002
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 2 12:25 AM
                                              Dodatecne mne napadlo, ze chlad "cisi" (c^is^i'):
                                              K vychodu zacisel vetrem od Mlznych hor chlad.
                                              P.A.
                                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "spektrum2002" <padamek@c...> wrote:
                                              > Kdyby tam nebylo to "began", tak bych napsal "K vychodu prival vitr
                                              > chlad od Mlznych hor".
                                              > Takhle snad: "Zacal byt citit chlad, ktery k vychodu prival vitr od
                                              > Mlznych hor"
                                              > Petr Adamek
                                              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...>
                                              > >
                                              > > A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.
                                              > >
                                              > > Studeny vitr zacal vat od Mlznych hor k vychodu.
                                              > >
                                              > >> At the risk of inciting people to show off, I invite the Czechs
                                              on
                                              > > the list to, like Faramir, 'show their quality' and tell us
                                              what's
                                              > > wrong with the above translations and how to correct them.
                                              > >
                                              > > Simon
                                            • raesim
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 2 2:20 AM

                                                wrote:
                                                > Kdyby tam nebylo to "began", tak bych napsal "K vychodu prival
                                                > vitr chlad od Mlznych hor".
                                                > Takhle snad: "Zacal byt citit chlad, ktery k vychodu prival vitr
                                                > od Mlznych hor"

                                                Your versions may well work better than the original translation in
                                                other respects, but like it they make the mistake of assuming that
                                                the wind is blowing to the east. It's blowing to the west, and we
                                                can be sure of this because the Fellowship is on the westward side
                                                of the mountains: climatic conditions on the other side are, at this
                                                stage of the story, irrelevant. You see, it's the mountains that
                                                are to the east of the Fellowship.

                                                Simon
                                              • spektrum2002
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 2 2:48 AM
                                                  A je ten smer vetru (tj. na zapad) jednoznacny pro NS, jenz nezna
                                                  kontext, ktery uvadite? Cili: Znamena "Wind blowing from the
                                                  mountains to the west" jednoznacne "od hor lezicich na vychod"?
                                                  Petr A.
                                                  wrote:
                                                  > > > A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east.

                                                  they make the mistake of assuming that
                                                  > the wind is blowing to the east. It's blowing to the west, and we
                                                  > can be sure of this because the Fellowship is on the westward side
                                                  > of the mountains: climatic conditions on the other side are, at
                                                  this
                                                  > stage of the story, irrelevant. You see, it's the mountains that
                                                  > are to the east of the Fellowship.
                                                  >
                                                  > Simon
                                                • Rubkova
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 2 3:16 AM
                                                    As Simon has already said there is a map in the book. But the context seems
                                                    to me obvious.

                                                    Sarka

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 2 3:17 AM

                                                      wrote:
                                                      > A je ten smer vetru (tj. na zapad) jednoznacny pro NS, jenz nezna
                                                      > kontext, ktery uvadite? Cili: Znamena "Wind blowing from the
                                                      > mountains to the [east]" jednoznacne "od hor lezicich na vychod"?
                                                      > Petr A.

                                                      Not jednoznacne, but I would have assumed that that was the more
                                                      likely meaning. 'Mountains to the east' feels like a stronger
                                                      connection than 'blow...to the east'. Had the author intended the
                                                      other meaning, I would have expected another construction:

                                                      A west wind [i.e. coming from the west] began to blow chill from...
                                                      A chill wind began to blow east from...
                                                      A wind began to blow chill to the east from...

                                                      But the point is that the translator had the full context (including
                                                      a map); she just failed to think.

                                                      Simon